It's the way it is now, we either adapt to it or get off the internet. That's about as far as our choices are concerned

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    Haalcyon and DS1331 like this.
    04-03-2014 01:48 AM
    I use google apps if they want me bad enough they know where to find me 😋

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s
    My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    DS1331 likes this.
    04-03-2014 01:48 AM
    Creepy? No.

Deeply reaching? Absolutely. They have their hand in pretty much everything you do online.
    And you don't think apple would if they could? They would love to have their hands in on everything like Google does

Posted via the Android iMore App!
    04-05-2014 03:53 PM
    And you don't think apple would if they could? They would love to have their hands in on everything like Google does

I disagree. Apple is not in the advertising business so they have no need to get their hands on everything. They make their money from hardware and media sales.
    applejosh likes this.
    04-05-2014 04:36 PM
    Google should worship the ground that Apple walks on for not getting into the search business. I'd bet that if Apple started a search model like Google, it would probably overtake Google in 6-8 years from now.
    04-05-2014 05:36 PM
    Google should worship the ground that Apple walks on for not getting into the search business. I'd bet that if Apple started a search model like Google, it would probably overtake Google in 6-8 years from now.
    Wasn't there something about apple trying to purchase yahoo!? I might have the wrong information but I did hear that a while back

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    04-06-2014 09:35 PM
    I disagree. Apple is not in the advertising business so they have no need to get their hands on everything. They make their money from hardware and media sales.
    I don't believe that at all. Every business is based in making money and having your hand in everything makes you even more money so I believe apple would want to be involved in everything that Google is if it was a good opportunity for them to make money

04-06-2014 10:52 PM
    It's specific to the type of information that is available to Google at a whim vs. the NSA. There's simply no comparison there...Google, while quite far reaching, is not getting to the level of information that the NSA is privy to if they want to be. Google primarily focuses on advertising and money...if they're making a dime, that is where their focus is. NSA is focused on the entire SPECTRUM of information that you have ever put online, and that is creepy as hell. We're not talking your purchase trends online...we're talking every little detail of information you've ever shared, applied for, uploaded, downloaded, commented on, etc...your entire e-life. It's accumulated to an absolutely ridiculous point...and used in whatever fashion they see fit.

Imagine it kind of like this...think of a person who knows you the best and has known you that way the longest. The details they can recall, the traits they know you have and the history that person can recall about you. Now think about a co-worker or neighbor that has met you a few times and might see you a couple of times per week. The first person is not even on the level of the NSA...the second person is Google.
    That analogy is an interesting analogy. Google has more employees than the NSA and a business model that requires them to know as much about you as they can gather. The analogy assumes I accept an irrational worry about the NSA. The program simply cannot be what most fear. They lack the manpower to do such a thing.

It's a bit silly to say the NSA has access to worlds more than Google when they're using companies like Google to retrieve the information. Sure, they can put together several of these databases, but that generally applies more towards gaining more people than more information about any typical individual. Most that use Google use a variety of Google services giving Google more information than you're admitting.

I'm not really worried about what Google, or the NSA, has on me. I'm just not going to pretend they're all that different.
    04-14-2014 08:59 PM
    That analogy is an interesting analogy. Google has more employees than the NSA and a business model that requires them to know as much about you as they can gather. The analogy assumes I accept an irrational worry about the NSA. The program simply cannot be what most fear. They lack the manpower to do such a thing.

It's a bit silly to say the NSA has access to worlds more than Google when they're using companies like Google to retrieve the information. Sure, they can put together several of these databases, but that generally applies more towards gaining more people than more information about any typical individual. Most that use Google use a variety of Google services giving Google more information than you're admitting.

I'm not really worried about what Google, or the NSA, has on me. I'm just not going to pretend they're all that different.
    This was a great rebuttals to what you qouted. I'm going to give you some background of me really quick. I was a 35N in the military for 7 years. 5 of those years I was stationed in Ft. Meade Md. at the national security agency. Reading this post about what the NSA has at it's disposal and what they know is hilarious. Google has the same amount of knowledge if not more on you then the NSA could possibly have, and a much larger staff. Much much larger staff. Don't underestimate Google and their intentions because they're not "The Government"
    04-14-2014 09:07 PM
59 123