Battery-short iPhone users are 'wall huggers,' quips Blackberry CEO

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
In defense of BBRY, comparing batteries and apps now that BB10 is running OS 10.2.1 is a loss for Apple. But please read on as I'm iPhone 5s user with a lot of BBRY experience I'm just sharing.

The Z10 battery is1800mAh, the Q10 is 2100mAh, and the Z30 is 2880mAh. The iPhone 5s battery is 1440mAh. Now yes, size isn't as important as amount of use. But bottom line if you did the same type and amount of usage on the iPhone 5s versus any BB10 device, there is no comparison when it comes to battery life. BlackBerry wins.

As for apps, with 10.2.1 you can download the Amazon Store and/or Snap. Thus you have direct download access to almost all Android Apps.

Now here's where I stand. My personal device is an iPhone 5s and it's definitely my choice for my personal device. However, I have a work issued BBRY Q10 on BES run through an IT admin. It's definitely my work phone of choice. If I got 150 emails, 300 texts, etc on the iPhone I'd be charging it by noon. The Q10 last from 5:30am to 11:00pm and still has 20% life left.

It's simply a matter of preference depending on what you need your device for. As for these CEO's bantering back and forth publicly, it's ridiculous.

Hopefully, nobody takes this message as a shot at the iPhone as I'm user. I'm merely providing my honest assessment because I believe both iPhone and BlackBerry 10 are great.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

Yeah that's because you use your second phone for only texting and emailing.
I have a second iphone 5s as well, (it issued) I get 40% battery left at the end of the day.
And I get over 200 emails and around 100 text messages.

Ps: What kind of it department would allow you to install snap or the amazon App Store?
As for Bb10, it's a failure...it's comical when people call failures great.
Enjoy your phones.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thought this was funny coming from an irrelevant CEO :)

Battery-short iPhone users are 'wall huggers,' quips Blackberry CEO | The Exchange - Yahoo Finance

"Asked about Apple’s (AAPL) popularity, Chen belittled iPhone users whose batteries run down before the end of the end of the day, forcing them to search for power outlets. “I call you guys wall huggers,” he quipped."

I think he's going for the Jack Sparrow thing...
"You're the worst CEO I've ever heard of!"
"But you *have* heard of me..."

My Z10 gets great battery, but so does my 5C. I think he was just going for shock value to be honest.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Obviously Mr Chen has never used a Galaxy S4. That thing will drop 2% before you even get the charger unplugged! ( A little sarcastic, but not much ).

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that's because you use your second phone for only texting and emailing.
I have a second iphone 5s as well, (it issued) I get 40% battery left at the end of the day.
And I get over 200 emails and around 100 text messages.

Ps: What kind of it department would allow you to install snap or the amazon App Store?
As for Bb10, it's a failure...it's comical when people call failures great.
Enjoy your phones.

I never said my department allows loading Amazon or Snap. I said BB10 10.2.1 allows it. My Q10 is stock, only updates are the ones pushed through by IT. I can't access the app stores at all. Full control is by IT admin.

I choose the iPhone 5s for personal use because I simply prefer the UI and Apple experience having an iPad and MacBook and can sync everything up.

My point was if I or anybody else really wanted a Blackberry 10 device, they could get a Z30, have most Android Apps available and a battery 2880mAh versus 1440mAh. No comparison.

But you can't see past the fact that I'm writing anything positive about BlackBerry? Why can't both both be solid? The company might not be doing great but that doesn't mean the product isn't solid. They're fighting a major uphill battle.

Moreover Apple stock continues to drop as BlackBerry continues to rise. Look this is silly. I support both because both help me accomplish my needs throughout the day.

What's comical is you knowing nothing about BB10 and calling it a failure. Sure, it's easy to point to poor sales in the US, but things aren't so bad elsewhere and the partnership with Foxconn will help.

Why am I even explaining it to you? You are clearly missing my point. Both platforms are great. BlackBerry's failures are not because of the OS, it's because they were 4 years late with it. If BB10 and devices came out when iPhone and Android came out, this would be a different conversation and BBRY would still be a power house. They dropped the ball for way to long and consumers found their way to much better products at the time. That however doesn't mean BBRY isn't now putting out great devices, it just means people are happy with what they have. Just like I'm happy with my iPhone as a personal device.

Last edited:

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I never said my department allows loading Amazon or Snap. I said BB10 10.2.1 allows it. My Q10 is stock, only updates are the ones pushed through by IT. I can't access the app stores at all. Full control is by IT admin.

I choose the iPhone 5s for personal use because I simply prefer the UI and Apple experience having an iPad and MacBook and can sync everything up.

My point was if I or anybody else really wanted a Blackberry 10 device, they could get a Z30, have most Android Apps available and a battery 2880mAh versus 1440mAh. No comparison.

But you can't see past the fact that I'm writing anything positive about BlackBerry? Why can't both both be solid? The company might not be doing great but that doesn't mean the product isn't solid. They're fighting a major uphill battle.

Moreover Apple stock continues to drop as BlackBerry continues to rise. Look this is silly. I support both because both help me accomplish my needs throughout the day.

What's comical is you knowing nothing about BB10 and calling it a failure. Sure, it's easy to point to poor sales in the US, but things aren't so bad elsewhere and the partnership with Foxconn will help.

Why am I even explaining it to you? You are clearly missing my point. Both platforms are great. BlackBerry's failures are not because of the OS, it's because they were 4 years late with it. If BB10 and devices came out when iPhone and Android came out, this would be a different conversation and BBRY would still be a power house. They dropped the ball for way to long and consumers found their way to much better products at the time. That however doesn't mean BBRY isn't now putting out great devices, it just means people are happy with what they have. Just like I'm happy with my iPhone as a personal device.

This is a good balanced commentary. Clearly the UIs are different but the times I have been able to sit down and play with a Z10 convinced me that BB10 was a great effort on BB's part. You are correct when you say that both platforms are great. As far as the battery life thing...I have struggled with battery life on my iP5 since I got it. I am on exchange server for work and get a bunch of emails everyday. I finally had to shut off the push notifications for work because it was chewing up my battery life way too quickly in the day. I couldn't get a full day out of the charge. That being said, I still really like my iP5 and look forward to the iP6.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I tend to believe that the current iPhone uses the battery it has more efficiently than most phones out there. Seems like the other companies are prone to go bigger battery with bigger battery hogging features which in turn gives you no benefit from having a bigger battery. As an example the M7 handling motion data is more battery efficient than A7 doing it.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I tend to believe that the current iPhone uses the battery it has more efficiently than most phones out there. Seems like the other companies are prone to go bigger battery with bigger battery hogging features which in turn gives you no benefit from having a bigger battery. As an example the M7 handling motion data is more battery efficient than A7 doing it.

I somewhat agree but would sum it up a bit different. You can a have Z30 with 2880mAh twice as large and if all you do is text and email you'll get a 5-7 days of it, but if you stream video, skype, etc that battery definitely doesn't go nearly as far.

Same thing as iPhone, it's only 1440mAh, if you just use it to communicate, you can definitely go a day or day and a half on a charge, but if you're a heavy user streaming videos, skype, games, etc that battery doesn't go very far.

I think it's definitely a combo of battery size and how you use your device.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
That's his opinion, which he's allowed to have. I have no problem with my battery.

Same I get at least double the battery life with my 5s than I did on my s3's best days. That's with variable signals too. I drive around a hundred miles a day and don't always have the best signal and call a good bit. I average using around 1500 minutes a month just by myself and I end up getting home with at least 75% battery left. But my days usually are calling and listening to music in my car not a lot of streaming or data usage. I also have my car charger and a battery backup if I ever get stranded somewhere so I'm never really worried about battery life anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, if there was one issue the iPhone has, due mostly to size of the unit, battery has to be it. Anyone can see that. This is like Cook saying that all these VLP users are big-fingered *****, and this thread is like a bunch of Note 3 users posting about how their phone is actually moderately sized.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
This is a good balanced commentary. Clearly the UIs are different but the times I have been able to sit down and play with a Z10 convinced me that BB10 was a great effort on BB's part. You are correct when you say that both platforms are great. As far as the battery life thing...I have struggled with battery life on my iP5 since I got it. I am on exchange server for work and get a bunch of emails everyday. I finally had to shut off the push notifications for work because it was chewing up my battery life way too quickly in the day. I couldn't get a full day out of the charge. That being said, I still really like my iP5 and look forward to the iP6.

Could always go for a mophie case?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

You were never said otherwise

So did 51 million other consumers last quarter, versus 1.1 million shipments for bb10. The majority of that of BB10's SHIPMENT last quarter was deferred from the previous quarter).

Your point it is ridiculous, and frankly reeks of being hypocritical.
Consumers don't want bb10, the market has spoken.
Dare anyone even remind you, you gave up your z30 for the iPhone 5s.
I agree you cannot compare iOS7 to bb10 or the iPhone 5s to the z30, Apple is simply out of BB's League.

When consumers are presented with the same choice, the don't choose BB10, as we have witnessed first hand.

"94 percent of T-Mobile upgraders dump BlackBerry as CEO complaints backfire"
Ouch

But you can't see past the fact that I'm writing anything positive about BlackBerry?

You can write whatever you like, why you choose fiction is beyond me.

Why can't both both be solid?

BB 10 was never "solid", and sales/returns reflected as much. Blame Blackberry not me.

The company might not be doing great but that doesn't mean the product isn't solid. They're fighting a major uphill battle.

Actually thats exactly what it means, here let me educate you:

Q3'14:
"BlackBerry reports massive Q3 loss, takes huge charge for unsold BlackBerry 10 handsets"

"If you thought that things couldn't get worse for BlackBerry following the $1 billion operating loss reported for its fiscal second quarter, guess again. On Friday morning, the Canadian OEM put an exclamation mark on the failure of the Thorsten Heins era by reporting a $4.4 billion loss for its fiscal third quarter. And $2.7 billion of that loss was due to a write-off of BlackBerry 10 units gathering dust in the marketplace."

BlackBerry reports massive Q3 loss, takes huge charge for unsold BlackBerry 10 handsets

Q2'14:
"Bleak BlackBerry Q2 results highlight nearly $1 billion in unsold Z10 phones"

"It's no secret: BlackBerry is in bad shape. The company released its earnings for Q2 today, and the rough results directly follow the bleak guidance the Canadian firm offered last week when it announced 4,500 layoffs and a nearly $1 billion loss over the quarter. The final number revealed today is a $965 million loss, which is mainly accounted for by the awful sales of the Z10, the first phone to run BlackBerry 10. Unsold Z10s have forced the company to take "a primarily non-cash, pre-tax charge against inventory and supply commitments of approximately $934 million" in what it's calling the "Z10 Inventory Charge" — words that few will likely want to utter in Waterloo."

Q1'14:
"BlackBerry slumps as BB10 flops
Blackberry reported a first quarter loss of $84 million (?55m), forecast another one next quarter and said its new BB10 devices sold just 2.7m units"

BlackBerry slumps as BB10 flops - Telegraph

Blackberry isn't doing so well because of BB10, I hope your able to understand that simple concept.

Moreover Apple stock continues to drop as BlackBerry continues to rise. Look this is silly.

You can't be serious. Apple is currently @ 537 while blackberry is at 9.60, once again falling below 10 dollars.
Please prove me and the market wrong, buy as many shares in Blackberry as you see fit.
Clearly even Chen knows its impossible

"Chen: It ‘remains to be seen’ whether BlackBerry keeps making devices"
BlackBerry CEO Chen interview: devices may not be part of future | BGR

and

"Chen says there’s a 50% chance his BlackBerry comeback plan fails"
BlackBerry CEO Chen interview: chance of failure at 50% | BGR

I support both because both help me accomplish my needs throughout the day.

You don't support both. Clearly you picked the 5s and paid for it. Your IT department handed you the q10, you didn't pay for it, and if the rumours out of MWC are true, POSSIBLY, neither did your company.
There were rumours that Blackberry were giving away free handsets to enterprise customers in hopes of retaining them as BES customer.

What's comical is you knowing nothing about BB10 and calling it a failure.

How so? I was given a free z10 to evaluate back in Feb 13,
(Im a VC, call it a perk) I threw it away in March, What a waste of time.

BB10 is an abysmal failure.

btw I also had a Dev A & Dev C devise.

it's easy to point to poor sales in the US, but things aren't so bad elsewhere and the partnership with Foxconn will help.

Now this is comical. BB10 has cratered everywhere not just the US. especially in key markets such as Indonesia the middle east and even latin america.

"Venezuela: BlackBerry's Caribbean Oasis Turns to Quicksand"
IDG Connect – Venezuela: BlackBerry's Caribbean Oasis Turns to Quicksand

Why am I even explaining it to you? You are clearly missing my point.

you haven't explained anything, and frankly you have no point, Just hypocritical advice and quite the display of limited understanding in current mobile market.

Both platforms are great. BlackBerry's failures are not because of the OS, it's because they were 4 years late with it. If BB10 and devices came out when iPhone and Android came out, this would be a different conversation and BBRY would still be a power house. They dropped the ball for way to long and consumers found their way to much better products at the time. That however doesn't mean BBRY isn't now putting out great devices, it just means people are happy with what they have. Just like I'm happy with my iPhone as a personal device.

Wow, it must be liberating to have your head planted so deep in the sand.

Please Enjoy both your devices :yes:, while you can:

One more time just for S**** and giggles:
"Chen: It ‘remains to be seen’ whether BlackBerry keeps making devices"

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
http://forums.imore.com/showpost.php?p=2208488

Here's a post from another member that understood my only point at all. "Notice good balanced commentary". I think you've turned a simple opinion on my part into a pretty outlandish thrashing of BlackBerry and me personally. Again, my point was made. If you couldn't see it or misunderstood, I sincerely apologize.

You were never said otherwise

So did 51 million other consumers last quarter, versus 1.1 million shipments for bb10. The majority of that of BB10's SHIPMENT last quarter was deferred from the previous quarter).

Your point it is ridiculous, and frankly reeks of being hypocritical.
Consumers don't want bb10, the market has spoken.
Dare anyone even remind you, you gave up your z30 for the iPhone 5s.
I agree you cannot compare iOS7 to bb10 or the iPhone 5s to the z30, Apple is simply out of BB's League.

When consumers are presented with the same choice, the don't choose BB10, as we have witnessed first hand.

"94 percent of T-Mobile upgraders dump BlackBerry as CEO complaints backfire"
Ouch

You can write whatever you like, why you choose fiction is beyond me.

BB 10 was never "solid", and sales/returns reflected as much. Blame Blackberry not me.

Actually thats exactly what it means, here let me educate you:

Q3'14:
"BlackBerry reports massive Q3 loss, takes huge charge for unsold BlackBerry 10 handsets"

"If you thought that things couldn't get worse for BlackBerry following the $1 billion operating loss reported for its fiscal second quarter, guess again. On Friday morning, the Canadian OEM put an exclamation mark on the failure of the Thorsten Heins era by reporting a $4.4 billion loss for its fiscal third quarter. And $2.7 billion of that loss was due to a write-off of BlackBerry 10 units gathering dust in the marketplace."

BlackBerry reports massive Q3 loss, takes huge charge for unsold BlackBerry 10 handsets

Q2'14:
"Bleak BlackBerry Q2 results highlight nearly $1 billion in unsold Z10 phones"

"It's no secret: BlackBerry is in bad shape. The company released its earnings for Q2 today, and the rough results directly follow the bleak guidance the Canadian firm offered last week when it announced 4,500 layoffs and a nearly $1 billion loss over the quarter. The final number revealed today is a $965 million loss, which is mainly accounted for by the awful sales of the Z10, the first phone to run BlackBerry 10. Unsold Z10s have forced the company to take "a primarily non-cash, pre-tax charge against inventory and supply commitments of approximately $934 million" in what it's calling the "Z10 Inventory Charge" ? words that few will likely want to utter in Waterloo."

Q1'14:
"BlackBerry slumps as BB10 flops
Blackberry reported a first quarter loss of $84 million (?55m), forecast another one next quarter and said its new BB10 devices sold just 2.7m units"

BlackBerry slumps as BB10 flops - Telegraph

Blackberry isn't doing so well because of BB10, I hope your able to understand that simple concept.

You can't be serious. Apple is currently @ 537 while blackberry is at 9.60, once again falling below 10 dollars.
Please prove me and the market wrong, buy as many shares in Blackberry as you see fit.
Clearly even Chen knows its impossible

"Chen: It ?remains to be seen? whether BlackBerry keeps making devices"

and

"Chen says there?s a 50% chance his BlackBerry comeback plan fails"
BlackBerry CEO Chen interview: chance of failure at 50% | BGR

You don't support both. Clearly you picked the 5s and paid for it. Your IT department handed you the q10, you didn't pay for it, and if the rumours out of MWC are true, POSSIBLY, neither did your company.
There were rumours that Blackberry were giving away free handsets to enterprise customers in hopes of retaining them as BES customer.

How so? I was given a free z10 to evaluate back in Feb 13,
(Im a VC, call it a perk) I threw it away in March, What a waste of time.

BB10 is an abysmal failure.

btw I also had a Dev A & Dev C devise.

Now this is comical. BB10 has cratered everywhere not just the US. especially in key markets such as Indonesia the middle east and even latin america.

"Venezuela: BlackBerry's Caribbean Oasis Turns to Quicksand"
IDG Connect ? Venezuela: BlackBerry's Caribbean Oasis Turns to Quicksand

you haven't explained anything, and frankly you have no point, Just hypocritical advice and quite the display of limited understanding in current mobile market.

Wow, it must be liberating to have your head planted so deep in the sand.

Please Enjoy both your devices :yes:, while you can:

One more time just for S**** and giggles:
"Chen: It ?remains to be seen? whether BlackBerry keeps making devices"

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.imore.com/showpost.php?p=2208488

Here's a post from another member that understood my only point at all. I think you've turned a simple opinion on my part into a pretty outlandish thrashing of BlackBerry and me personally. Again, my point was made. If you couldn't see it or misunderstood, I sincerely apologize.

No apologies necessary :beers: :),

If blackberry preforms well under Chen, it would actually make me quite happy. I had high hopes when he first took over (Ron louks is very passionate about mobiles).

I also used to be a big blackberry fan (I have my platinum blackberries to prove it), it's just a shame what happened.

sicpuppy

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess am a wall hugger then lol .In Canada we love BB so much that recently canadian carrier Koodo was liquidating their Z10 for $150 prepaid and now liquidating their Q5 for $150 also .Things are going well for non wall huggers it seems

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Lol, BlackBerry. When your platform has already burned to the ground, try to burn every else's houses down.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
off topic but blackberry should focus on more phones like the storm 2 it was one of my favorite bb phones.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
"Wall hugging " with my iPhone 5c is exactly what I was doing this week.
I had stopped off at my aunt's house during a long journey and I do not have a car charger for my iPhone. The battery was not dead, but was in need of a top up. I was sat on a chair, by a wall, using the phone whilst it charged at a socket.
I also own a BlackBerry Z10 and for that I have a spare battery pack, which can be charged with the standard phone charger. It can then be used to recharge the phone's battery in just 30 mins or you can swap the batteries around in just a couple of minutes.
I noticed that a friend at work must have just bought a battery case like a Morphie for her iPhone 5. It looks very smart, but must add to the size and weight of the iPhone, plus they generally cost 3/4 times more than the BlackBerry solution of the spare battery pack. Does anyone even make these cases for the 5c?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative