New potential route to brick your iPad

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, Apple is doing the right thing. I've seen firsthand the lengths people will go to circumvent something. They will eventually cave or be ordered by the courts, but I suspect it will result in a full wipe of the device.

johnboysupergolf

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry guys for double posting this topic, anyway it seems ok for apple to have these levels of security and they work very well- as this case has proven. However this family has been penalised and a resolution seems far off. Perhaps in future, apple could maybe ask for another family members name during the initial set up. In effect two usernames one of which could be activated if the first one becomes deceased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Working as intended, right?

If there is money in the dead users Apple account, that should belong to Apple?

Last edited by a moderator:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Working as intended, right?

If there is money in the dead users Apple account, that should belong to Apple?

It’s clearly stated in the Terms of Service for iCloud:

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/en/terms.html#mn_p

No Right of Survivorship
You agree that your Account is non-transferable and that any rights to your Apple ID or Content within your Account terminate upon your death. Upon receipt of a copy of a death certificate your Account may be terminated and all Content within your Account deleted. Contact iCloud Support at www.apple.com/support/icloud for further assistance.

The only apparent grief Apple brought them is that "they now have an unusable iPad". They are not complaining about not being able to retrieve photos, or other types of data that would be important to them or their mother. They are just angry they now have an iPad they can't use.

One thing is a company being inflexible in providing help to the customer. In this case Apple asked for legal documents that would help to prevent fraud.
What if they're mother wasn't dead and had important documents they were trying to access? What if their mother WAS dead, but had a will and did not leave them the iPad or the contents of it?

The same way you can't go into a bank and just state "My mother/father/wife/etc" is dead, I want access to their account, without providing documentation to prove that you should be granted access.

This was neither a disgraceful episode by Apple nor an attempt to retrieve "digital treasures" by Mrs Grant's sons. So try to understand how legal procedures work. This is not the case of Company X doesn't help customer, this is a case of Company X defends THE customer. It might seem cold, but it is necessary, and actually is a good thing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
it’s clearly stated in the terms of service for icloud:

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/en/terms.html#mn_p

the only apparent grief apple brought them is that "they now have an unusable ipad". They are not complaining about not being able to retrieve photos, or other types of data that would be important to them or their mother. They are just angry they now have an ipad they can't use.

One thing is a company being inflexible in providing help to the customer. In this case apple asked for legal documents that would help to prevent fraud.
What if they're mother wasn't dead and had important documents they were trying to access? What if their mother was dead, but had a will and did not leave them the ipad or the contents of it?

The same way you can't go into a bank and just state "my mother/father/wife/etc" is dead, i want access to their account, without providing documentation to prove that you should be granted access.

This was neither a disgraceful episode by apple nor an attempt to retrieve "digital treasures" by mrs grant's sons. So try to understand how legal procedures work. This is not the case of company x doesn't help customer, this is a case of company x defends the customer. It might seem cold, but it is necessary, and actually is a good thing.

Outstanding!!!.....:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal