Switching from an iPhone to another device? Post Here!

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Nice phone. I had it but traded it a while back. May get the key two if att carries it. Currently on motion
I'm just now using a BB KeyOne. My iPhone X unfortunately are on warranty service repair - issues with touchscreen, a very common issue with this model said me the technician.

Actually enjoying a lot this little weird device.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I have been a blackberry guy for many years. When they went with android I didn't like it. But I'm giving it a try. I'm getting an x as well. Have had the 8's, 7's and 6 iphones. Currently have the blackberry motion but may sell it and stay with the x and maybe get the key two when I wanna switch

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Currently looking into (dare I say) the Galaxy 9+ or the Note 9

Still very unsure about switching to a whole new platform. The menu settings etc look fine to navigate and set privacy settings etc. it’s just that I’m so vested in apple (phone watch iPad airpods mac) that I would be breaking my ecosystem, for lack of better wording.

But I’m starting to get bored/frustrated of not being able to put icons where I want or don’t want them...I hate the dock blur overlay and I’d like to maybe use a theme on occasion. I refuse to jb my phone and deal with babysitting tweaks etc.

Is there anyone here that can give me some feed back that has switched to the S9+ what your experience is/was if you didn’t stay with it.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Currently looking into (dare I say) the Galaxy 9+ or the Note 9

Still very unsure about switching to a whole new platform. The menu settings etc look fine to navigate and set privacy settings etc. it’s just that I’m so vested in apple (phone watch iPad airpods mac) that I would be breaking my ecosystem, for lack of better wording.

But I’m starting to get bored/frustrated of not being able to put icons where I want or don’t want them...I hate the dock blur overlay and I’d like to maybe use a theme on occasion. I refuse to jb my phone and deal with babysitting tweaks etc.

Is there anyone here that can give me some feed back that has switched to the S9+ what your experience is/was if you didn’t stay with it.

WOW, I'm feeling the same way as you are. Interesting and I will be paying close attention to the feedback.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Let me say this. I have been there done that, AND, I only switched because of the same things you listed (themes and placing MY icons where I want).

However, for me, after about a month, or even less, the option for themes and placing icons just wasn’t as important.

I suggest this. From your carrier, add a line and then said Android device. Use it for less than 14 days (return window) without using your iOS devices in the interim. Then see how you feel.

Loads of old school iMore users know me; again, I’ve been there done that 🤣

Yes, Ivan, I actual remember you way back to CB ! Themes, berrybwether and battery ex icons Oh My !!! it was so fun creating those.

Thank you for you input. As for the switch, trust me, as you have pointed out as well....I know those few things are “petty” when it actually comes down to performance and reliability of a device. I have toyed with the idea of just customizing those few things in my head a lot, but in the end I know that the Note 9 may not meet my expectations as far as what apps I use throughout the day that are attached to my Watch. I use & rely on my Watch and airpods so much more than I realize.

I know I’m probably just blowing smoke about wanting to switch and the reality of it is 99.9% chance I won’t

I will wait for Apple’s presentation in September to see what new devices there will be. I’m still on a 6S Plus and I refuse to make a knee jerk decision just to have some customization. In addition, I really don’t want to break my synchronization of the eco system I have going...for the lack of a better phrase, everything really just works for me.

I know I just totally contradicted myself because I feel like I’m stuck in limbo right now just wanting a little customization from my iPhone.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Let me say this. I have been there done that, AND, I only switched because of the same things you listed (themes and placing MY icons where I want).

However, for me, after about a month, or even less, the option for themes and placing icons just wasn’t as important.

I suggest this. From your carrier, add a line and then said Android device. Use it for less than 14 days (return window) without using your iOS devices in the interim. Then see how you feel.

Loads of old school iMore users know me; again, I’ve been there done that 🤣

Most people who mention customization are thinking beyond themes and icons. That only scratches the surface. Personally, I always keep the default theme and icons. The usability is more what I find in huge disparity. Android tends to work for you better, regarding letting you work how you want to. iOS is more rigid and you have to make compromises for it - often with your wallet.

I think the draw of Android has more to do with its openness than anything. If you aren’t going all in with Apple, then it tends to be the worst platform for 3rd party services and interoperability with non-Apple platforms.

Being able to gear near-first party support for Microsoft services on Android, for example, is a real selling point for some users.

Just the ability to set default apps (Edge, Cortana, Office, Outlook, Skype, etc.) makes a massive difference. USB Mass Storage. Better File Manager. Being able to Sync Notifications, etc. to a Windows Machine. More open Screen Mirroring and media streaming (DLNA, MiraCast, etc.). Better CODEC support. Hardware variety (never feel like you’re settling, something for everyone), Better Cameras, Sandboxed Security (i.e. Knox), better Background Data Synchronization, Peripheral Support (NFC Pairing, Mouse Support, External HDDs), etc.

Some of this extends to their services. Google Drive and OneDrive will natively preview a ton more file types than iCloud Drive. Office and Google Docs supports more file formats. I’ve already mentioned the media CODECs. The default apps on Samsung devices tend to have very useful features that require third party apps on iOS - which cannot be set as default: Variable Playback Speed in the Music and Video Players is a big one. They also have better audio recorders (the iPhone is still worse than my Note 3 was). Split screen and drag and drop are very useful for sharing content between apps.

I think the notable thing is that Android [OEMs] seems more willing to take the good bits from iOS than the other way around. Apple could have neutralized many of these advantages if they would put their customers ahead of their own pride. I do think they take pride in pulling as few features as possible from competitors, and they’re also ferocious about protecting their other products (and using the iPhone as a vector to encourage their purchase).

I’m more put off by iOS’ Photography/Videography workflow. I’ve tried to make it work for 4 years, but I’m at wit’s end. I’ve sent in tons of feedback (in-app, website, etc.). I don’t think they care.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey, who's this Ivan guy....(LOL). Thanks for the input and suggestion. Yes, I have thought about doing that and I just might.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey, who's this Ivan guy....(LOL). Thanks for the input and suggestion. Yes, I have thought about doing that and I just might.

I used iPhone and Android side by side for years. It really depends on whether or not your usage runs against the rigidity of iOS. If not, then they are practically indistinguishable.

Most people get over the “new feel” pretty quickly, so icons and themes end up being a placebo that doesn’t last long.

The disparities are only apparent where they differ; typically at a fairly fundamental level (things that would require jail breaking, etc. to accomplish).

I thought about keeping the iPhone and “doubling up” again, but carrying two phones around is not as convenient as it used to be; and it was a hassle even when I did so.

If I were female and used purses, I think it would have been a lot different. My mom doesn’t complain about that, but I’m a small guy and my pockets aren’t exactly booming with roomage.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I used iPhone and Android side by side for years. It really depends on whether or not your usage runs against The rigidity of iOS. If not, then they are practically indistinguishable.

The disparities are only apparent where they differ; typically at a fairly fundamental level (things that would require jail breaking, etc. to accomplish).

Thanks for your input as well, but I was only kidding. I'm well aware of the differences and I've been around for a few different devices. I too have used a multitude of different platforms side by side over the years, and this year the Note 9 has really caught my eye...but will it last is the question...LOL

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have been a blackberry guy for many years. When they went with android I didn't like it. But I'm giving it a try. I'm getting an x as well. Have had the 8's, 7's and 6 iphones. Currently have the blackberry motion but may sell it and stay with the x and maybe get the key two when I wanna switch

BB10 was legit, but RIM took too long to pivot. I liked it, but I never got one because I just knew it was a dead ecosystem by the time it launched.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
One thing I’ve found in previously being on Android and currently being on iOS is that I’m MUCH more productive on Android. I can set everything up in a way that works best for me. On iOS, I have to set up stuff in a sea of icons and folders. And it jus my doesn’t seem to flow as well for me. I’m currently looking at the new Samsung devices and a Galaxy Watch.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
One thing I’ve found in previously being on Android and currently being on iOS is that I’m MUCH more productive on Android. I can set everything up in a way that works best for me. On iOS, I have to set up stuff in a sea of icons and folders. And it jus my doesn’t seem to flow as well for me. I’m currently looking at the new Samsung devices and a Galaxy Watch.
Samsung has the most attractive smart watch.

But a watch isn’t worth that much to me, Lol. I haven’t work a watch in forever. Elementary school, maybe?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Got the Galaxy Note9 128GB today. So far, I'm liking the experience...

My poor iMac is feeling lonely, but practically all of my other devices have a new BFF.

Can finally screen mirror to my Smart TV without feeling like I need to buy a $150+ "super dongle" (i.e. Apple TV).

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Got the Galaxy Note9 128GB today. So far, I'm liking the experience...

My poor iMac is feeling lonely, but practically all of my other devices have a new BFF.

Can finally screen mirror to my Smart TV without feeling like I need to buy a $150+ "super dongle" (i.e. Apple TV).

Congrats on your new Note9. That device surely caught my eye this year. They're backordered in my area, can't find them anywhere. What color did you get?

Last edited:

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Just the Blue. It's different but not too ... "modern."

With iPhones I would alternate between silver and Space Grey each year. So this is not too bad. Honestly, I don't tend to care about color. Had a black Apple leather case on my white iPhone, Lol.

And yes, it was back-ordered at two stores. Had to search a bit to find one.

I think a lot ofpeople waited until the iPhone event to buy, cause they didn't start going out of stock here until a couple days afterwards.

Congrats on your new Note9. That device surely caught my eye this year. Their backordered in my area, can't find them anywhere. What color did you get?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox