Does outlook work well with iOS and Mac?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm going to be ditching gmail as my main account I think and am going to try outlook instead. It was between that and yahoo mail, and yahoo didn't seem as aesthetically pleasing to use. Plus yahoo apparently does the same scanning your emails for advertising purposes that gmail does. And also apparently yahoo always gets hack attempts against it. But maybe I'm wrong and yahoos great and works great with iOS and Mac?

Anyway , I wanted to make sure that outlook.com plays nice with apples software like mail.app and third party clients like air mail and etc.

Does anyone use outlook? Yahoo?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use the default mail app on my Mac and it runs well with the outlook account I have on there.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I use the default mail app on my Mac and it runs well with the outlook account I have on there.

I just thought that maybe since it was a Microsoft service it might not play well with apple stuff. But I guess that would be foolish of MS to do .

Do you like outlook?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have all the major email accounts, dude. Name it :)

They are all good in their own ways and that's a long rant. I will do that once I reach home.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming you're referring to the outlook.com email service, and not Outlook the MS Office mail client?

Unless you're already attached to an existing outlook.com email address that you already have, why not just get an @icloud.com email address (you probably already have one if you have an iTunes account) and use that? I'm sure it works great with the native mail client.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Outlook.com email works great in the native mail app. My outlook.com account is my secondary email account that I use all day everyday. I have no problems with it whatsoever.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Gmail - best archiving in my opinion

Hotmail - I like their Web browser client the best and it's definitely a close second to Gmail

Yahoo - average to me, nothing to put it over using the other two. However, it is slowly becoming more polished in terms of its Web browser client interface IMO

Not that it matters, I filter all of these into the main email app on my Mac and S4 anyways. The experience I see is through that one window.. For better or worse.

That's my take.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming you're referring to the outlook.com email service, and not Outlook the MS Office mail client?

Unless you're already attached to an existing outlook.com email address that you already have, why not just get an @icloud.com email address (you probably already have one if you have an iTunes account) and use that? I'm sure it works great with the native mail client.

We'll, my main iTunes email is a gmail account, but I did just create a @iCloud email address. But apparently I can't make that my main iTunes email account name?

Isn't iCloud also a bit limited as a primary email?

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Outlook itself works great on OSX. If you need to sync your contacts and calendar with your mail, you won't be able to on OSX. I like to have mail, contacts and calendar in the same place and synced that way to my computer (Mac) , phone (iphone) and tablet (Nexus). Gmail is the only that works well in that area. Once Microsoft figures that out I am Making the switch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Outlook itself works great on OSX. If you need to sync your contacts and calendar with your mail, you won't be able to on OSX. I like to have mail, contacts and calendar in the same place and synced that way to my computer (Mac) , phone (iphone) and tablet (Nexus). Gmail is the only that works well in that area. Once Microsoft figures that out I am Making the switch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've had nothing but failure when it came to getting gmail and google calendars to work on my iPhone and iPads stock mail app and calendar app. How do you get it to work?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had nothing but failure when it came to getting gmail and google calendars to work on my iPhone and iPads stock mail app and calendar app. How do you get it to work?

Google mail has always been stuck in fetch mode. However google somewhat recently changed how their calendars sync with the stock app. It works very well now. You used to have to map the calendar using a separate CalDAV account and there was a noticeable delay in synching, however it now syncs through the mail account and works almost instantly.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Google mail has always been stuck in fetch mode. However google somewhat recently changed how their calendars sync with the stock app. It works very well now. You used to have to map the calendar using a separate CalDAV account and there was a noticeable delay in synching, however it now syncs through the mail account and works almost instantly.

But it won't even let me enter my gmail account under the mail , contacts, and calendar section in iOS settings. It keeps telling me my username or password is wrong, but it's not. Everything was correct. That has happened ever since I've owned even my iPhone 4.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
But it won't even let me enter my gmail account under the mail , contacts, and calendar section in iOS settings. It keeps telling me my username or password is wrong, but it's not. Everything was correct. That has happened ever since I've owned even my iPhone 4.

Don't know what the issue is. Mine has always worked fine.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what the issue is. Mine has always worked fine.

So I figured out what was wrong. I totally forgot that Google does this weird application specific password thing when you have two factor authentication on. So I had to use that generated password instead of my regular google password.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
So I figured out what was wrong. I totally forgot that Google does this weird application specific password thing when you have two factor authentication on. So I had to use that generated password instead of my regular google password.

Hooray! High fives all around! :cool: