My only thing is that the Microsoft stuff is at least third party compatible. While I like apple hardware, I'm trying to use more services that are accessible in other devices and OS's. Especially since I'm still in school.

So that's why I was concerned that if I did tie my boat to Microsoft if it'll still be good to use on things that are not PC's
    The good thing about apps like Word, PowerPoint and Excel is the fact that similar products from other companies all have an "export as" feature. Furthermore, apps like Pages, Numbers, etc., can auto-detect other formats and import them.
    02-27-2014 09:27 PM
    The good thing about apps like Word, PowerPoint and Excel is the fact that similar products from other companies all have an "export as" feature. Furthermore, apps like Pages, Numbers, etc., can auto-detect other formats and import them.
    Can that work vice versa , though?
    02-27-2014 09:32 PM
    Can that work vice versa , though?
    Yes, pages, numbers, and keynote can import MS Office docs and export to that format. MS Office can it save in Apple's formats though.
    02-27-2014 10:41 PM
    Yes, pages, numbers, and keynote can import MS Office docs and export to that format. MS Office can it save in Apple's formats though.
    So it dosent really matter which you use then since they work pretty much anywhere?
    02-27-2014 10:56 PM
    So it dosent really matter which you use then since they work pretty much anywhere?
    Meant to say that MS Office can NOT save in Apple's formats.
    02-27-2014 10:59 PM
    Meant to say that MS Office can NOT save in Apple's formats.
    Ah, gotcha. So using office would be maybe better since you can at least install everything on both PC and windows. You can install iWork on PC obviously.
    02-27-2014 11:13 PM
    for some reason I have this weird fear that if I start using a ton of Microsoft services (Outlook.com, OneDrive,Bing,Calendar,and whatever)that itll mean I wont be able to continue using apple hardware over windows hardware because of the integration. obviously the integration will probably be better on surface, windows phone, and PC, but really the only one out of those three, at this point in time, that id want to use is a PC. surface isn't as good as ipad, and Windows phone isn't as good as iphone. but due to weird ecosystem lock in, maybe I wouldn't have a choice but to use those devices if I invest heavily in MS services.

is this fear unfounded? would I still be able to happily go about using apple hardware if I did start using MS services a lot?
    02-28-2014 01:02 AM
    for some reason I have this weird fear that if I start using a ton of Microsoft services (Outlook.com, OneDrive,Bing,Calendar,and whatever)that itll mean I wont be able to continue using apple hardware over windows hardware because of the integration. obviously the integration will probably be better on surface, windows phone, and PC, but really the only one out of those three, at this point in time, that id want to use is a PC. surface isn't as good as ipad, and Windows phone isn't as good as iphone. but due to weird ecosystem lock in, maybe I wouldn't have a choice but to use those devices if I invest heavily in MS services.

is this fear unfounded? would I still be able to happily go about using apple hardware if I did start using MS services a lot?
    Yes. It is unfounded.
    I think you're irrationally afraid of being locked in to anything. Use what meets your needs at the moment and stop worrying about it.
    02-28-2014 06:47 AM
    Yes. It is unfounded.
    I think you're irrationally afraid of being locked in to anything. Use what meets your needs at the moment and stop worrying about it.
    Yeah, maybe it just felt weird using MS services on macs and/or iOS devices.

It's just people talk about how much value you get from using the email and all other services to tie with the other services like calendar , web, storage and etc. and I wasn't sure if that would promote mix and matching between google and MS. Like using google for search and calendar and MS for email and cloud storage.
    02-28-2014 10:21 AM
    I use a mix of Google, Microsoft, and Apple services with no troubles.
    02-28-2014 10:49 AM
    I use a mix of Google, Microsoft, and Apple services with no troubles.
    which Microsoft services and google services do you use?
    02-28-2014 11:01 AM
    I have a personal gmail account and search. I have a personal outlook.com account and also use Exchange for work and Lync for work IM. I also sometimes use Google Drive and OneDrive.
    02-28-2014 12:28 PM
    I have a personal gmail account and search. I have a personal outlook.com account and also use Exchange for work and Lync for work IM. I also sometimes use Google Drive and OneDrive.
    Do you use calendars with google or MS?
    02-28-2014 12:30 PM
    Do you use calendars with google or MS?
    My main calendars are iCloud but I have used google calendars in the past with no problems.
    02-28-2014 12:46 PM
    My main calendars are iCloud but I have used google calendars in the past with no problems.
    I'm gonna go ahead and just use a combination of MS and google.

I'm not sure why I thought It was all or nothing. Guess I just have a mindset of lock in like you said.
    02-28-2014 05:48 PM
    And I wasn't sure if I'd miss some value by not going all in on one of those ecosyestems
    02-28-2014 05:55 PM
    I use Outlook at work and just use the iOS stock app. Works great!
    03-01-2014 08:15 AM
    And I wasn't sure if I'd miss some value by not going all in on one of those ecosyestems
    I'm all in on Apple hardware, but quite promiscuous in my choice or services. I've never had any trouble.
    03-01-2014 09:24 AM
    I use Outlook at work and just use the iOS stock app. Works great!
    Do you use outlook on the iOS app?
    03-01-2014 03:36 PM
    Do you use outlook on the iOS app?
    I understood it as using the native mail app to access the Outlook.com account. That's what I do and it works great.
    03-01-2014 03:49 PM
    I understood it as using the native mail app to access the Outlook.com account. That's what I do and it works great.
    Yeah.

I think the only services I'd wantvto use is outlook , one drive, calendar, and word. I don't really do power points or spread sheets. If I need to do a budget or similar spreadsheet , I'd think google sheets would be good enough.

As I said before, I just was uneasy if they worked well on iOS and Mac OS (if I do decide to get a Mac over a PC laptop , which I haven't decided on yet.
    03-02-2014 09:02 PM
    I still can't receive mail through outlook on my mac. I can send but not receive.
    I've scoured the Web and haven't found a fix.
    I've played with all the port settings and imap stmp settings.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums Mobile App!
    03-03-2014 11:32 AM
    I still can't receive mail through outlook on my mac. I can send but not receive.
    I've scoured the Web and haven't found a fix.
    I've played with all the port settings and imap stmp settings.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums Mobile App!
    Being that I will be limited to staying at home today due to freezing rain, sleet and snow, I might re-install MS Outlook and play around with it and see if I can get it to work.
    03-03-2014 11:37 AM
    Yeah.

I think the only services I'd wantvto use is outlook , one drive, calendar, and word. I don't really do power points or spread sheets. If I need to do a budget or similar spreadsheet , I'd think google sheets would be good enough.

As I said before, I just was uneasy if they worked well on iOS and Mac OS (if I do decide to get a Mac over a PC laptop , which I haven't decided on yet.
    I understand...
    03-03-2014 11:37 AM
    I understand...
    So sorry to be annoying , but I just wanted to be sure that if I did start using outlook.com , one drive, and outlook calendar that it wouldn't have issues on Mac or iOS? I just think outlook.com is a very clean and nice looking service.
    03-03-2014 06:04 PM
64 123