Is chrome cast worth it for ios users?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think Chrome cast is perfectly worthy if you don't have devices that already offer the functionality. I looked at it the other day, and it was pretty impressive...but I would have no usage for it because the components in my home theater setup already do everything it can do (just not on the singular device offering, but that's ok, because it can still do it).

I do like where their heads are though...TV's are going to start being built with this stuff inside, and that is an excellent thing in the future.

Tom Vincent

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been using plex to cast from my iphone or ipad and it works great. Here are the steps.

How to Cast Plex from Apple Ipad to TV using Chromecast

Step 1. Download and install the Plex Media Server. Free Program

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...lex.tv/media-server-downloads/&token=l713e5iq

Step 2. Sign in and add your channels.

Step 3. Sign up for Plex Pass Subscription.
3 Different Price Plans. The chromecast feature will eventually be free.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/&token=tz-zJmIk

Step 4. Download Plex from the Itunes Apple Store. Cost $1.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Step 5. Demonstration

Start Chromecast

Make sure Plex Media Server is running on computer

Start Plex App on Ipad

Choose your channel and then your video on Ipad - Click the Cast Button and it automatically finds the Video Player and plays the video. You hit the cast button and it casts from phone to the Television.

Plex Cast from IPAD to TV using Chromecast - YouTube Ipad
Plex Cast from IPHONE to TV using Chromecast - YouTube Iphone

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered a CC for a second TV just for Netflix and HBO Go access.
Looking forward to checking it out.

EricfromTx

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5 and I got a Chrome cast for Christmas and i think it's a great device. I love the fact that it's a dongle and hides behind the TV and can cast videos from YouTube and Netflix from my phone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
To update my previous post as to why I got a Chromecast: It does work pretty good. I realized though that I use AirPlay much more on my Apple TV than I thought. There are just things I can't AirPlay on my Chromecast. And when I play something on the CC, it doesn't feel that instantly just starts playing like it does my Apple TV. I have pretty decent connection that gets up to 10MBPS.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just set up my Chromecast streaming The Hunt for Red October.
Looks excellent. Just what I needed for this 2nd TV that doesn't need all of the functionality of my Apple TV.

Now one thing that would be cool is if Apple came out with dongles such as a Chromecast that basically received the stream from a Apple TV and a iTunes library so you wouldn't need multiple ATV's for multiple TV's.
The Chromecast is cool though if you want to stream Netflix and HBO Go to a HDTV on the cheap with a iOS device.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just set up my Chromecast streaming The Hunt for Red October.
Looks excellent. Just what I needed for this 2nd TV that doesn't need all of the functionality of my Apple TV.

Now one thing that would be cool is if Apple came out with dongles such as a Chromecast that basically received the stream from a Apple TV and a iTunes library so you wouldn't need multiple ATV's for multiple TV's.
The Chromecast is cool though if you want to stream Netflix and HBO Go to a HDTV on the cheap with a iOS device.

Yup. I'd buy a dongle that strictly AirPlays anything that an Apple TV does without the bells and whistles of channels.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I own an Apple TV but was considering adding a roku, but now that the Amazon Fire TV is out, I might have to wait and see how it pans out. Thought this article had some good food for thought

The Amazon Fire TV is a very interesting product. If I could get the functionality of my Apple TV and the Chrome tab streaming from Chromecast on it, it'd probably be a must buy

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro