Is chrome cast worth it for ios users?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think the chromecast is a pretty remarkable device , espeacily for it price. Pretty much it's airplay, but without the need of a 100 dollar Apple TV (of course Apple TV has dedicated apps and a Ethernet port)

But is chromecast only worth it to those who use android? I'm not even sued what ios apps even support it. I really hope google recently opening up the SDK means ios developers will plug in access to their apps, but when we do have access to a 100 dollar appletv, is the chromecast even worth it. Are ios users going to be treated as second class citizens with chromecast support? Do YOU own a chrome cast?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, from the top of my head I think YouTube uses Chrome cast. That can be big for some people who are constantly on there and I'm one of them. However, many others could easily find the lack of apps supported by it on mobile devices a deal-breaker, and I can see that line of thought. There just ain't many apps on iOS for the device.

Not that that is a bad thing, I think Apple TV should be the forerunner for iOS on the TV content stuff, not Google Chrome cast. If it is, then some thing's wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Chromecast is worth it to anyone that wants it.
It seems like a cool device. If someone wants to do Netflix and HBO GO that's all one needs is a Chromecast.
It all depends on what a users wants to do.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If you're using Google apps, you'll get your uses out of it. I'd be inclined to recommend Apple TV over Chromecast if you're already in the Apple eco-system but it's also a lot more expensive than the Chromecast and the rad thing about Chromecast is it transports super easy so no big deal to move it around the house.

I use a Mac Mini as a desktop and a Samsung Chromebook as a laptop so I actually get use out of BOTH devices but I don't buy media from Google very often since I can't download it locally on the chromebook. Then again, I use an Android phone and usually carry an iPod with it. I just can't make up my mind lol.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you're using Google apps, you'll get your uses out of it. I'd be inclined to recommend Apple TV over Chromecast if you're already in the Apple eco-system but it's also a lot more expensive than the Chromecast and the rad thing about Chromecast is it transports super easy so no big deal to move it around the house.

I use a Mac Mini as a desktop and a Samsung Chromebook as a laptop so I actually get use out of BOTH devices but I don't buy media from Google very often since I can't download it locally on the chromebook. Then again, I use an Android phone and usually carry an iPod with it. I just can't make up my mind lol.

Yup, with a Mac, you probably will find far more uses for it since there are a lot of third party applications that do streaming right up to the Chromecast, adding more functionality. I can't say the same for a iOS device though.

Last edited:

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Unless you're that price sensitive, the Apple TV does everything the Chromecast does, and much more on top of that.

1. Apple TV has a variety of popular channels built in that don't require streaming from your device. Streaming is fine, but it's nice to be able to fire up Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, etc from the Apple TV itself without having to get your mobile device out every time.
2. Apple TV streams *everything* from your iOS device, whereas Chromecast only streams from a few select apps (Google apps plus the few others that also support it). Even for apps that don't have Airplay support built in, you can also just mirror it as a workaround (I have to do this for the CBS app).
3. If you're decently invested in the iTunes world, you can also stream your iTunes purchases and iTunes Match music straight to the Apple TV without having to stream from your mobile device.
4. I can easily share my photos on my device on Apple TV, don't think I can do that with Chromecast yet (or did they change that?)

Since from your other posts you've expressed concern about going all in with one platform ecosystem, I could see a reason that you'd prefer to go with a platform agnostic device like Chromecast, which makes sense. Just keep in mind that Chromecast is more of an 'Apple TV - lite' in terms of capabilities. Depends on what your priorities are.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd think it'd be more "worth it" if you don't have an Apple TV already but it is also useful in addition to an Apple TV given that you can stream from your computer using Chrome and from YouTube on your iOS devices.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd think it'd be more "worth it" if you don't have an Apple TV already but it is also useful in addition to an Apple TV given that you can stream from your computer using Chrome and from YouTube on your iOS devices.

That's a really good point. You can stream from your Windows PC via Chrome browser to Chromecast. One has to have a Mac to stream to Apple TV. Depends if one has a need to stream from a Windows PC or not. I don't, so it was not a priority for me.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
That's a really good point. You can stream from your Windows PC via Chrome browser to Chromecast. One has to have a Mac to stream to Apple TV. Depends if one has a need to stream from a Windows PC or not. I don't, so it was not a priority for me.

I'm still on the fence about it because I can't decide if I really want a Chromecast just for streaming from Chrome on my Windows PC

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless you're that price sensitive, the Apple TV does everything the Chromecast does, and much more on top of that.

1. Apple TV has a variety of popular channels built in that don't require streaming from your device. Streaming is fine, but it's nice to be able to fire up Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, etc from the Apple TV itself without having to get your mobile device out every time.
2. Apple TV streams *everything* from your iOS device, whereas Chromecast only streams from a few select apps (Google apps plus the few others that also support it). Even for apps that don't have Airplay support built in, you can also just mirror it as a workaround (I have to do this for the CBS app).
3. If you're decently invested in the iTunes world, you can also stream your iTunes purchases and iTunes Match music straight to the Apple TV without having to stream from your mobile device.
4. I can easily share my photos on my device on Apple TV, don't think I can do that with Chromecast yet (or did they change that?)

Since from your other posts you've expressed concern about going all in with one platform ecosystem, I could see a reason that you'd prefer to go with a platform agnostic device like Chromecast, which makes sense. Just keep in mind that Chromecast is more of an 'Apple TV - lite' in terms of capabilities. Depends on what your priorities are.

#4---- Yep. Install "Photo Caster" from the App Store.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's absolutely worth it. We use it with Netflix quite a bit. We have Netflix running through the Xbox and roku's around the house but we use the chromecast on the couple TV's that don't have those devices. Plus we can take it with us on trips. It's an easy hook up for the money.

Sent using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I already have an Apple TV but wanted one for another room in my house. I just got a chromecast for $30 since I've wanted to try it anyway. I'm sure I'll have lots of uses for it. It wouldn't fully replace my Apple TV. That's for sure.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I already have an Apple TV but wanted one for another room in my house. I just got a chromecast for $30 since I've wanted to try it anyway. I'm sure I'll have lots of uses for it. It wouldn't fully replace my Apple TV. That's for sure.

Absolutely. I would not replace Apple TV with it. It's more of a secondary device.

Sent using Tapatalk

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

That's a good use, if I had another tv that needed a way to access steaming services, I'd probably pick up a Chromecast instead of an Apple TV based on cost alone

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Well, reason I'm trying to be platform agnostic is because I don't want to feel like I always need to buy a specific product just to access my content. Like I feel I ALWAYS would need to buy apple even though there might be other options which would suit my needs better at the time. I'd like to think about the future a bit.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The thing about the Chrome cast is that it does not require any subscription to any service, you can pretty much only use it as a streaming device and nothing else. Apple TV actually gives you access to your iTunes library which for some people is completely useless.

It depends on your usage needs, and how much you really want to pay for Airplay (for streaming from your Mac or iOS devices), and to get stuff from iTunes. Those are the two main draws.

Also, if you subscribe to MLB or things like that, you might want to get the Apple TV.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I think the chromecast is a pretty remarkable device , espeacily for it price. Pretty much it's airplay, but without the need of a 100 dollar Apple TV (of course Apple TV has dedicated apps and a Ethernet port)

But is chromecast only worth it to those who use android? I'm not even sued what ios apps even support it. I really hope google recently opening up the SDK means ios developers will plug in access to their apps, but when we do have access to a 100 dollar appletv, is the chromecast even worth it. Are ios users going to be treated as second class citizens with chromecast support? Do YOU own a chrome cast?

I use my Chromecast to stream from my PC about 75% of the time and the other 25% is split between either my Nexus 7, Moto X, or iPhone. For $35 it's pretty handy to have.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Yup, with a Mac, you probably will find far more uses for it since there are a lot of third party applications that do streaming right up to the Chromecast, adding more functionality. I can't say the same for a iOS device though.

Well, iOS apps can stream anything a Mac/PC could, short of actual tabs. But for officially supported things, like Netflix, Plex, HBOGO, and the others, it works just fine. Twitch would require a Computer though.

The one thing that the ATV doesn't do that the CC does, is allow you to turn off the device you started the stream from. As in if I start watching Netflix on my bus ride home, then want to pick it up right away on my TV, with an ATV, I have to open Netflix, find the show, then resume. With a CC, I just tap the "Play to Chromecast" button. Plex is another great example, as Plex isn't even officially on the ATV, but I can stream it to my CC without having to mess around with port forwarding.

To your #2 though, just a bit of clarification. The CC does require that you get your mobile device the same way that the ATV requires the remote. You start the stream from your device, and can then turn said device off, doesn't have to stay connected, nor waste power mirroring. The ATV is the only one with (official) mirroring, but that can also be a big battery drain too.

Basically, I have both, and use the ATV for mirroring, and stuff I have only with Apple, and the CC for everything else.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention, not all Apple Content can be mirrored, as some has been DRM blocked for some reason. It can be streamed to a TV directly though.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, iOS apps can stream anything a Mac/PC could, short of actual tabs. But for officially supported things, like Netflix, Plex, HBOGO, and the others, it works just fine. Twitch would require a Computer though.

The one thing that the ATV doesn't do that the CC does, is allow you to turn off the device you started the stream from. As in if I start watching Netflix on my bus ride home, then want to pick it up right away on my TV, with an ATV, I have to open Netflix, find the show, then resume. With a CC, I just tap the "Play to Chromecast" button. Plex is another great example, as Plex isn't even officially on the ATV, but I can stream it to my CC without having to mess around with port forwarding.

To your #2 though, just a bit of clarification. The CC does require that you get your mobile device the same way that the ATV requires the remote. You start the stream from your device, and can then turn said device off, doesn't have to stay connected, nor waste power mirroring. The ATV is the only one with (official) mirroring, but that can also be a big battery drain too.

Basically, I have both, and use the ATV for mirroring, and stuff I have only with Apple, and the CC for everything else.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention, not all Apple Content can be mirrored, as some has been DRM blocked for some reason. It can be streamed to a TV directly though.

Thanks for this information, it was helpful to read this take on the CC

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen