Got my First Mac. But I have some questions

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: New To Mac

I think in many places Office is going to be a thing of the past on OS X and iOS devices. Why pay for a productivity suite when another is free?

Peter Cohen with iMore had a good article on this recently. Basically it depends on what your priorities are. MS Office still has many more features and capabilities than iWorks, however most people don't use the majority if its capabilities and iWork works perfectly for them. Also sharing files between other iWorks and MS Office users still doesn't work perfectly, which matters because Office is still considered the de facto standard in most businesses. Article below:

Why Microsoft Office for iPad is still important: 'Almost' isn't good enough | iMore

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

A VERY annoying issue I am having now is when the Mac goes to sleep it crashes and when I turn it on a message displays saying you computer shut down because of an error. When I send report to Apple it says it was a wake/sleep error.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

So by my understanding with this screenshot only 720mb is actually in use meaning over 3gb would be free?

BTW the activity monitor is one of the best I have seen among Desktop operating systems, good move to point it out here. It's really understated, but indeed it had helped identify so many of my memory leak problems.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I have Microsoft office on both of my Macs but I have iWork as well. I prefer Pages but I found that it doesn't look like Word when sent to someone with word, even using the export Word doc option. I'm in school and when writing papers, that's pretty important. Professors are very specific.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I have been struggling a lot with Pages, not because it's hard but because it's different and....simple. I'm used to going into several menu screens on Office and I don't have to on Pages. I literally click on what I want to format/change.

How easily does the aluminum on the MBP scratch?

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Hi all,

A couple more questions I have come across....does Pages auto save? To me it seems like it does.

In Word I was able to edit a document then 'Save As' to create a new copy but keep the original. How do I do this in Pages? There is no 'Save As' button.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
In Mail I use my Gmail account. Mail saves drafts every so often but those drafts don't delete from my Gmail account so when I log into Gmail I have multiple are multiple drafts attached to each email thread. How do I stop this?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to choose which folders you sync. Disable the drafts folder from syncing and you should be fine. OSX obfuscates earlier copies of files (same concept as Windows shadow copy) but Gmail isn't capable of this, so they all show up as separate drafts.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
All, thank you for your help.

Update on the dent I mentioned in a previous post....I called Best Buy since going to the store is a 2 hour drive for me. They said since it was an instore purchase I had to go to the store and couldn't exchange it online/phone. Today I drove to the store I got it from to exchange it and at the service desk the rep asked why I wanted to exchange it, I was honest and said because out of the box there was a dent in it. They called over a manager who claimed to be the store manager, he talked to a few people and said he would not accept the exchange because there was a dent in it and to contact Apple. I told him I did contact Apple and they said they cannot do anything because they cannot access Best buy's sales system and to talk to Best Buy. I left the store, went to my car and called corporate again. They said they cannot force a store to accept an item that is damaged even though it was bought damaged. The rep on the phone called another Best Buy store asking them if they would let me exchange it and they said they'd have to see it. Drove to that store and the manager opened the box and goes where's the dent? I showed it to him and he chuckles and goes yeah, we'll take it. I got a new one and they let me open the box and check it before I checked out.

6 hours later I will not be shopping at store #247 in Holland, Ohio again. Has anybody else had this many problems?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods