How much thinner should the iPhone be?

Skatophilia

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
As in the title:

With the iPhone 6 rumours and everything else, how much thinner should/do you think the iPhones should get? Personally I think maybe 1mm more is the cut-off point, but that's just me. Lets hear your answers!

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If they do a iPhone 6 with a five inch screen but with the same thickness the 5 and 5s has, I would have to give it a pass, unless they come up with a 4 inch version of iPhone 6, which I would go for.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
As long as they are increasing battery life I don't care too much how thin the phone becomes. That being said I'm perfectly satisfied with the current thickness of the iPhone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I hope they thicken the iPhone so they can put a bigger battery in it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the thickness of the 4s. It feels solid and feels good in the hand.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I like it the thickness that it is. feels good in the hand

Same here, the current thickness feels great. I just think they should go edge to edge with the screen and maybe a "little" wider

Edit; well after some more thought, I'm not to sure about the edge to edge concept....but very close to the edge

Last edited:

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Same here, the current thickness feels great. I just think they should go edge to edge with the screen and mayby a "little" wider

Yeah I could handle a "little" wider, only thing I dislike about the edge to edge screen is when I hold my wife's galaxy and try searching something the bottom of my thumb rests on the screen hitting links, and causing issues. Might just be the way I hold the phone

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, it should be thin enough to still feel like I am holding an iPhone, and heavy enough to still feel like it has a quality build to it…:)

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I could handle a "little" wider, only thing I dislike about the edge to edge screen is when I hold my wife's galaxy and try searching something the bottom of my thumb rests on the screen hitting links, and causing issues. Might just be the way I hold the phone

Yea. It must be the way you hold the phone. I had the Galaxy S3 and I didn't have that problem, but the phone was difficult for one hand use. Edge to edge would also make it hard on cases and screen protectors

Sent from my GOLD iPhone 5s using iMore Forums app

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it should be thinner at all. How about keep it the same or even add a mm or two and put a much larger battery in? You know one that could easily last a day even with heavy use... The phone being paper thin does me no good when it can't make it through a day of use and constantly have to charge it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There's going to come a point where thin = sacrifice. So far, we've been spoiled by good designers that figure out the math to give us what we're used to in a thinner and thinner package...

I believe that time is quickly coming to an end. We, as consumers, demand more battery life, more power, better cameras, better features and new technology...and we demand it no more than a minute or so after the latest and greatest is sold to us.

Bottom line, until some major break throughs in technology, battery tech and screen development come along, what we have is about as thin as it's going to get. And honestly, I don't think we're going to see these major tech breakthroughs on an iPhone this year anyways.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I also think people mistake thickness with weight...the 4/4S felt solid because of it's weight. The difference in thickness between the iPhone 5/5S and the 4/4S was not really a substantial change in terms of feel, it was the weight of the chassis that I think makes people feel the durability was diminished.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I also think people mistake thickness with weight...the 4/4S felt solid because of it's weight. The difference in thickness between the iPhone 5/5S and the 4/4S was not really a substantial change in terms of feel, it was the weight of the chassis that I think makes people feel the durability was diminished.

I think you are spot on, the heavier phone did feel a lot more durable and less fragile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, it should be thin enough to still feel like I am holding an iPhone, and heavy enough to still feel like it has a quality build to it?:)

My iPod Touch has a nice amount of weight and it still feels durable. That's how I want the iPhone 6 to be like. :)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
There's going to come a point where thin = sacrifice. So far, we've been spoiled by good designers that figure out the math to give us what we're used to in a thinner and thinner package...

I believe that time is quickly coming to an end. We, as consumers, demand more battery life, more power, better cameras, better features and new technology...and we demand it no more than a minute or so after the latest and greatest is sold to us.

Bottom line, until some major break throughs in technology, battery tech and screen development come along, what we have is about as thin as it's going to get. And honestly, I don't think we're going to see these major tech breakthroughs on an iPhone this year anyways.

Agree. Batteries haven't gotten any thinner, as is the case with the head phone jack.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro