Doing serious work on an iOS device

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey, guys, since it's almost the end of the week, I would like to pop this question to everyone here, when was the last time you did something work-related on your iOS device that you could only do on a laptop or a desktop computer a few years ago, before, say, the iPhone came out.

I actually must say I have just started writing a novel, started last week, and likely to go through to completion. To be honest, I am struggling to type for long periods of time on a touchscreen, but I have trained myself to do it with a greater measure of endurance now. I always take lots of notes on my iPhone using Evernote too...which improves that endurance...

What about you guys? When was the last time you did something really heavily work-related? Sound off if you have.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I use a BT keyboard and stand from time to time for word processing. It works pretty good. Rare that I'm going to pack all that junk around when I can just use my chromebook instead but IMO basic word processing and editing/tweaking presentations works pretty great on an iPad. I wouldn't want to build my presentation from scratch on a tablet though.

Haven't had much call for spreadsheet work on a tablet yet, imagine it isn't terrible since it is usually pretty easy to move around on a spreadsheet with a keyboard.

I would not want to do prolonged work on a touchscreen keyboard, though I have in the past spent time doing brief edits and it isn't terrible. Now that I have a Note 3 though, if I don't have access to a keyboard, I usually just handwrite notes or use handwriting recognition for word processing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Dude, everytime I'm on iMore, it's work-related…:)…..therefore, my answer is "daily".

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I carry an iPhone 5 that pulls pretty substantial work duty with my job...composing reports, pictures of incidents and certain crime scenes that don't require CSI, I have an app that helps with codes and certain drugs (visual identification)...it's a lot more handy than lugging around the old *** tough book that our trucks are equipped with, and in my case anyways, aside from certain files that can only be sent to the dispatch software, it does 99.999999% of all the other work (handily too).

Even caught a thief with it, lol. I had it sitting on a clipboard in an IRS building, and a guy swiped it as he walked in and turned the ringer off... (I was talking to a person and the phone was about 15' from me)...we signed in on my macbook in my truck and prompted it to start chiming with an alert...guy's eyes opened wide as can be and he was promptly arrested, lol. His excuse was "I thought someone left it, I was going to find the owner!" Good excuse since it was in his pocket with the ringer turned off, lol.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I use my 5 for photography that gets used in monthly print ads. Shooting, editing, and emailing is all done on-device.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Daily

I use my iPad and iPhone for work and personal(Work)

I use Numbers, Pages everyday. I have everything synced to the cloud

Oh and Ya iMore as well :)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I check email with my iPhone. For me "work" that requires a computer requires multiple spread sheets and 2 or more additional analysis programs at the same time. So using anything other than a desktop is unthinkable.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the iMore Forum Android app.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to do it all on my iPhone I only boot up my laptop when I'm up loading large movies to YouTube or if I need to do print work

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I use my iPad mini for school using Pages. I've written two, 350+ word essays in the last two weeks. Last fall I used my iPad mini and puffin browser to take a mandatory driver education course that was written in flash.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods