Woz thinks Apple should make Android phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbg7474

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I know I'm a day or two behind, but I'm kind of amazed at the lack of respect for Woz. Yeah, it was a ridiculous thing for him to say, but if you step back from the ridiculousness and try to imagine why he might have said it, you might find some truth there. Woz is an engineer, and you can understand why he might kind of like a tinker-friendlier OS like Android. I think his comment was more about what he might personally like to see, which is some really great hardware running Android. It's really a comment on the relatively sad state of hardware on the Android side of the equation. I think he knows that if Apple hardware were in the mix, there wouldn't be as much competition. I don't think he was truly suggesting that Apple should so such a thing, but rather that Apple could do it.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm still here! In fact as a resident troll I think I've gained blood lust.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

If you equate "blood lust" to people thinking your posts are absolute drivel, then I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I think some impediments to this are:

Brand dilution
Brand confusion
Cost
Patents
Litigation
Business model upheaval
Cross licensing fees
Creating a problem that doesn't exist today
Potential antitrust concerns
Straying from core competences

Now as others have well said here and elsewhere, could Apple study and learn from Android? I'd be surprised if they aren't/haven't been.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know I'm a day or two behind, but I'm kind of amazed at the lack of respect for Woz. Yeah, it was a ridiculous thing for him to say, but if you step back from the ridiculousness and try to imagine why he might have said it, you might find some truth there. Woz is an engineer, and you can understand why he might kind of like a tinker-friendlier OS like Android. I think his comment was more about what he might personally like to see, which is some really great hardware running Android. It's really a comment on the relatively sad state of hardware on the Android side of the equation. I think he knows that if Apple hardware were in the mix, there wouldn't be as much competition. I don't think he was truly suggesting that Apple should so such a thing, but rather that Apple could do it.

It was actually shown to be a "joke" from him...he said it to get in the spotlight, like he's been doing a lot of for the last few years. Just because a person was useful at one point doesn't mean they should be respected as such forever. Nobody gives two sh*ts what M. Night Shyamalan thinks these days, but a decade ago, what he said was gold in the movie industry.

Someone put it so amazingly perfect on MacRumors..."Waz was."

jbg7474

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It was actually shown to be a "joke" from him...he said it to get in the spotlight, like he's been doing a lot of for the last few years. Just because a person was useful at one point doesn't mean they should be respected as such forever. Nobody gives two sh*ts what M. Night Shyamalan thinks these days, but a decade ago, what he said was gold in the movie industry.

Someone put it so amazingly perfect on MacRumors..."Waz was."

Certainly he is a has been, but I'm a never was, so I feel he deserves my respect.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Les, this was a conversation between A and B, so C your way out!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

You have an iPad and that's all you could come up with as a retort?

Lame.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Guys, guys, lets keep things to the topic and not personal attacks or anything of that sort. We all love Apple stuff so let's be civil.

Lets respect that everyone has different opinions about different platforms, and while this is an Apple fan website, there is no need to show any vitriol. Objective discussions.. Lets keep things to that.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Guys, guys, lets keep things to the topic and not personal attacks or anything of that sort. We all love Apple stuff so let's be civil.

Lets respect that everyone has different opinions about different platforms, and while this is an Apple fan website, there is no need to show any vitriol. Objective discussions.. Lets keep things to that.

Speedy, while your overall sentiment is spot on, one part of your post is grossly inaccurate. Trolls be trollin' and they certainly do not love Apple stuff. It’s contrary to their nature, and they have an overwhelming, nay, compulsive need to troll. I suppose it’s somehow related to their innate inferiority complex, both personally and technologically.

Now, I return you to the topic at hand: Wos waz or Woz is. Discuss.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is a retort for you.

It is rather obvious from most of the replies here that you did not even read the small article in the OP. If you have any time, read it, and see how much of a fool you made of yourselves.

Care to elaborate? I don't see anything that was missed in the article than what was discussed here. Do you have some other insight into this? Or were you just bored of the BB sinking ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.