I just came to a realization today about the coming iPhone release this fall...we are in for an absolute cluster f*ck (forgive my language).

Seeing all the threads that pop up in our "Ask a Question" section in regard to unlocking an iPhone/iPad that someone bought on the private market, this fall is going to bring with it a new challenge in that many of the people who switch from one iOS 7 device to a new one will also probably sell their old device, and just based on what we've already seen, there is going to be an absolute TSUNAMI of improperly reset (or un-reset) devices that go out on the market, ship to new owners and will cause so much headache for Apple, for online communities such as ours and most importantly, for the potential new owners who may not know how to go about proactively addressing this before an item is sent to them.

This fall is going to be a disaster I have a feeling. I think iMore needs to start putting out PSA's and stuff as headlines (to get really solid info out to the masses when they search for this stuff).
    01-31-2014 09:32 AM
    Yep, brake out the aspirin now.
    01-31-2014 09:35 AM
    We could put sticky threads in every forum... and the blog could run a new post every day on how to prepare a device to be sold aftermarket and a post centered on how to buy on the aftermarket and not get taken by an activation locked device... in the end, people can be led to knowledge - but no one can make them think.
    01-31-2014 09:38 AM
    We could put sticky threads in every forum... and the blog could run a new post every day on how to prepare a device to be sold aftermarket and a post centered on how to buy on the aftermarket and not get taken by an activation locked device... in the end, people can be led to knowledge - but no one can make them think.
    So very true. So many of the questions in the "ask a question" forum are 10 second google searches. People don't want to read or research anything. They want it spoon fed. Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.
    01-31-2014 09:43 AM
    So very true. So many of the questions in the "ask a question" forum are 10 second google searches. People don't want to read or research anything. They want it spoon fed. Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.
    It's a really sad combination of people wanting to be spoon fed and the entitlement generation reaching "adulthood". It's very pitiful really.
    01-31-2014 09:47 AM
    It's a really sad combination of people wanting to be spoon fed and the entitlement generation reaching "adulthood". It's very pitiful really.
    Agreed. Just think these children are our future. How's that for scary reality.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    01-31-2014 09:51 AM
    Google is no longer an option. It's so many of the same questions being asked that you can't pin point a great thread that answers the question "I bought my phone online or from xyz and I can't activate it".

I would like to see a blog or post that says "ATTENTION before you buy after market iPhones"

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5s
    joyfulmom2 and MERCDROID like this.
    01-31-2014 09:58 AM
    Google is no longer an option. It's so many of the same questions being asked that you can't pin point a great thread that answers the question "I bought my phone online or from xyz and I can't activate it".

I would like to see a blog or post that says "ATTENTION before you buy after market iPhones"

I'm sorry I don't agree on this. It's all about how you word the question. There have been a number of questions that were asked that I wasn't sure of and searched google and found the answer.
    01-31-2014 10:05 AM
    I'm sorry I don't agree on this. It's all about how you word the question. There have been a number of questions that were asked that I wasn't sure of and searched google and found the answer.
    That's my point, google isn't an option for people anymore. They don't search there or even here for that matter. If so, they would have their answer and save time waiting on a reply.

01-31-2014 10:09 AM
    I agree that Google does usually know the answer, but you need to have good skills at knowing what to ask or revising your query if the first time doesn't work. I think a lot of people either don't/can't do this. So they just want to be spoon fed the answer. I'm trying to "beat" this tendency out of my two kids, but it's tough. They've grown up (they are 6 and 10) with smartphones, tablets, and computers always available and expect those devices to always know the answer without realizing that you have to know how to ask the question. They're young enough that I still have time to teach them this though.
    01-31-2014 10:11 AM
    Yep, brake out the aspirin now.
    Hard liquor to wash it down for the numb pain effect 😨

seriously the real smartphone rush is upon us the last time I saw an adoption chart it was over 50% soon that figure will be near 100% that's hundreds of dumb "I don't know how to turn on my Smartphone threads"

If there able to find the Question thread so easy can't we do like mentioned above give them a Wiki style format of go to Answers linked to threads that have the answers there looking for

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    01-31-2014 10:14 AM
    Hard liquor to wash it down for the numb pain effect 😨
    I don't think the hard liquor will be enough. Anyone have any oxy they can share? 😉
    kataran likes this.
    01-31-2014 10:20 AM
    I don't think the hard liquor will be enough. Anyone have any oxy they can share?
    Meth.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-31-2014 10:38 AM
    Meth.
    UUUhhhhhhhhhh....
    01-31-2014 01:11 PM
    You guys sound old!
    01-31-2014 02:41 PM
    You guys sound old!
    Can't believe the post office didn't deliver my Geritol today

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    01-31-2014 02:52 PM
    I just came to a realization today about the coming iPhone release this fall...we are in for an absolute cluster f*ck (forgive my language).

Seeing all the threads that pop up in our "Ask a Question" section in regard to unlocking an iPhone/iPad that someone bought on the private market, this fall is going to bring with it a new challenge in that many of the people who switch from one iOS 7 device to a new one will also probably sell their old device, and just based on what we've already seen, there is going to be an absolute TSUNAMI of improperly reset (or un-reset) devices that go out on the market, ship to new owners and will cause so much headache for Apple, for online communities such as ours and most importantly, for the potential new owners who may not know how to go about proactively addressing this before an item is sent to them.

This fall is going to be a disaster I have a feeling. I think iMore needs to start putting out PSA's and stuff as headlines (to get really solid info out to the masses when they search for this stuff).

So wait.... how do I play a music cd on my iphone?
    nikkisharif likes this.
    01-31-2014 03:58 PM
    Let's not forget about the unscrupulous people who deliberately sell devices that they know have the activation lock enabled. They do exist, and likewise, people who knowingly buy those devices, but think they will be able to come to forums like iMore to find information on how to bypass it. You know them -- The ones allegedly dumb enough to buy the devices, but smart enough to know exactly where to come to find help whereas the typical consumer is totally oblivious to tech sites....
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 01-31-2014 at 10:19 PM.
    01-31-2014 04:16 PM
    So wait.... how do I play a music cd on my iphone?
    We had a thread about this recently. I think the consensus was kinda like skeet shooting-toss the phone up high in the air and try to bisect it by throwing the cd like a frisbee.
    nikkisharif and kch50428 like this.
    01-31-2014 04:20 PM
    We had a thread about this recently. I think the consensus was kinda like skeet shooting-toss the phone up high in the air and try to bisect it by throwing the cd like a frisbee.
    I like the ball peen hammer/anvil method... beat the CD into the phone...
    nikkisharif and iHackPro like this.
    01-31-2014 04:27 PM
    I like the ball peen hammer/anvil method... beat the CD into the phone...
    What about placing it in the microwave with the CD they should meld together right?!
    01-31-2014 06:29 PM
    Put the iPhone and the CD in the hadron collider...nuff said.
    sting7k likes this.
    01-31-2014 07:38 PM
    Let's not forget about the unscrupulous people who deliberately sell devices that they know to have the activation lock enabled. They do exist, and likewise, people who knowingly buy those devices, but think they will be able to come to forums like iMore to find information on how to bypass it. You know them -- The ones allegedly dumb enough to buy the devices, but smart enough to know exactly where to come to find help whereas the typical consumer is totally oblivious to tech sites....
    Oh, Lord, no, I will be getting the new iPhone as it is in the shrink-wrapped box it comes in. Whether they call it the 6 or whatever, I am totally getting brand new devices from Apple, no messing with activation locks...

I am getting excited for Fall, now you that you mentioned it.
    01-31-2014 07:43 PM
    Oh, Lord, no, I will be getting the new iPhone as it is in the shrink-wrapped box it comes in. Whether they call it the 6 or whatever, I am totally getting brand new devices from Apple, no messing with activation locks...

I am getting excited for Fall, now you that you mentioned it.
    No doubt. Every mobile phone I've EVER had we're purchased brand new and I'm not going to stop buying new now, especially an iPhone.
    01-31-2014 07:46 PM
    No doubt. Every mobile phone I've EVER had we're purchased brand new and I'm not going to stop buying new now, especially an iPhone.
    And the whole freaking point of getting an iPhone is the fresh unboxing smell of the beautifully printed (and sexy) new packaging..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-31-2014 07:48 PM
44 12