This fall is going to be absolute chaos...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh, Lord, no, I will be getting the new iPhone as it is in the shrink-wrapped box it comes in. Whether they call it the 6 or whatever, I am totally getting brand new devices from Apple, no messing with activation locks...

I am getting excited for Fall, now you that you mentioned it.

No doubt. Every mobile phone I've EVER had we're purchased brand new and I'm not going to stop buying new now, especially an iPhone.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No doubt. Every mobile phone I've EVER had we're purchased brand new and I'm not going to stop buying new now, especially an iPhone.

And the whole freaking point of getting an iPhone is the fresh unboxing smell of the beautifully printed (and sexy) new packaging..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
You'd think in this day and age that you wouldn't hear any more "I bought it cheap from some guy on the internet" stories. Sad to say, but people in general are just getting dumber.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You'd think in this day and age that you wouldn't hear any more "I bought it cheap from some guy on the internet" stories. Sad to say, but people in general are just getting dumber.
I always wanted to sell bumper stickers that say "Common Sense is an Oxymoron" but I believe I'd get frustrated with having to explain what it meant...

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It's slightly unbelievable that folks still get taken for bum smartphones. I buy mine aftermarket 99% of the time but have a list of things I require so as not to buy a device that I cannot activate!

Last edited:

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I've never bought any aftermarket electronics as I'm a big fan of "manufacturer sealed" gear. Can't see that changing anytime soon.

Sent from my Titanium 5s 32

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

The real beauty of the film Idiocracy is the fact that it wasn't such a fictional story...sad too.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The real beauty of the film Idiocracy is the fact that it wasn't such a fictional story...sad too.

Wow!! I can't find anyone who even recognizes this movie let alone has seen it. Pure gold!! Very nice reference. A must watch for anyone who hasn't yet.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I just came to a realization today about the coming iPhone release this fall...we are in for an absolute cluster f*ck (forgive my language).

Seeing all the threads that pop up in our "Ask a Question" section in regard to unlocking an iPhone/iPad that someone bought on the private market, this fall is going to bring with it a new challenge in that many of the people who switch from one iOS 7 device to a new one will also probably sell their old device, and just based on what we've already seen, there is going to be an absolute TSUNAMI of improperly reset (or un-reset) devices that go out on the market, ship to new owners and will cause so much headache for Apple, for online communities such as ours and most importantly, for the potential new owners who may not know how to go about proactively addressing this before an item is sent to them.

This fall is going to be a disaster I have a feeling. I think iMore needs to start putting out PSA's and stuff as headlines (to get really solid info out to the masses when they search for this stuff).

Eh I don't think it is going to be any worse than normal year. Most people sell their iPhones each year before the new one if they plan to get a new one and they make it out fine. I mean you always have some of those who don't do something properly or fall for one of those "it was too good to pass up" deals. Just like the people who bought "iPads" yet didn't open it and just got a floor tile.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Eh I don't think it is going to be any worse than normal year. Most people sell their iPhones each year before the new one if they plan to get a new one and they make it out fine. I mean you always have some of those who don't do something properly or fall for one of those "it was too good to pass up" deals. Just like the people who bought "iPads" yet didn't open it and just got a floor tile.

Except this will be the first iPhone release since the functionality that renders so many devices useless without the password and sign in information of the previous owner (mainly due to the "Find my iPhone" feature).

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm thankful that I'm able to buy new devices. I've bought a few really great deal used ones but it would definitely be a headache in this case.

Idiocracy really caught my attention because I notice people who appear to be straight out of the movie. It's scary how that movie has a slight non-fiction feel to it. Like the use of a big word to control and manipulate the masses (Electrolytes). First time I watched it, I laughed my tail off. Then I watched it again because I realized some elements were related to real life!

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I am always fearful of buying pre-owned doodads because I fear they will not be in manufacturer-sealed condition. ...that there will be some dirt, dust, scratch, or damage somewhere. I have this thing for the purity of brand spanking new devices and maintaining that purity for as long as I own them. It's likely a psychosomatic disorder but me need me gadgets pure or at least indistinguishable from such.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Except this will be the first iPhone release since the functionality that renders so many devices useless without the password and sign in information of the previous owner (mainly due to the "Find my iPhone" feature).

Only if people have it enabled though.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Saw a video over at MacRumors showing how to turn off the find my iphone but it states you still need the credentials to reset the device. Seems you'd only need find my iPhone to....find your iPhone. But I use a pin to even get into the phone so I'm not worried too much.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
We already have a few guides here regarding how to wipe your device and prepare it for sale. We just need to make one for what to do/look for when buying your new device online or from CL. And make sure we keep it at the top of the forums a few days in advance of the new line up of iPhones released. Just my $0.02.

But I agreed with Keith and Sean, we can't help everyone if they aren't willing to help themselves by doing a little bit of research or using a tab bit of common sense.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Most people do. And we have an absolutely numbing amount of threads in the Q&A section where people have bought devices that were not properly reset (or were stolen and pawned off to some unsuspecting victim)...and we're only a few months past the release without a primarily major release...just watch, I hate to know what is coming, but it is very clear that it is.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2