This fall is going to be absolute chaos...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just came to a realization today about the coming iPhone release this fall...we are in for an absolute cluster f*ck (forgive my language).

Seeing all the threads that pop up in our "Ask a Question" section in regard to unlocking an iPhone/iPad that someone bought on the private market, this fall is going to bring with it a new challenge in that many of the people who switch from one iOS 7 device to a new one will also probably sell their old device, and just based on what we've already seen, there is going to be an absolute TSUNAMI of improperly reset (or un-reset) devices that go out on the market, ship to new owners and will cause so much headache for Apple, for online communities such as ours and most importantly, for the potential new owners who may not know how to go about proactively addressing this before an item is sent to them.

This fall is going to be a disaster I have a feeling. I think iMore needs to start putting out PSA's and stuff as headlines (to get really solid info out to the masses when they search for this stuff).

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
We could put sticky threads in every forum... and the blog could run a new post every day on how to prepare a device to be sold aftermarket and a post centered on how to buy on the aftermarket and not get taken by an activation locked device... in the end, people can be led to knowledge - but no one can make them think.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
We could put sticky threads in every forum... and the blog could run a new post every day on how to prepare a device to be sold aftermarket and a post centered on how to buy on the aftermarket and not get taken by an activation locked device... in the end, people can be led to knowledge - but no one can make them think.

So very true. So many of the questions in the "ask a question" forum are 10 second google searches. People don't want to read or research anything. They want it spoon fed. Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So very true. So many of the questions in the "ask a question" forum are 10 second google searches. People don't want to read or research anything. They want it spoon fed. Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

It's a really sad combination of people wanting to be spoon fed and the entitlement generation reaching "adulthood". It's very pitiful really.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Google is no longer an option. It's so many of the same questions being asked that you can't pin point a great thread that answers the question "I bought my phone online or from xyz and I can't activate it".

I would like to see a blog or post that says "ATTENTION before you buy after market iPhones"

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5s

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Google is no longer an option. It's so many of the same questions being asked that you can't pin point a great thread that answers the question "I bought my phone online or from xyz and I can't activate it".

I would like to see a blog or post that says "ATTENTION before you buy after market iPhones"

I'm sorry I don't agree on this. It's all about how you word the question. There have been a number of questions that were asked that I wasn't sure of and searched google and found the answer.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry I don't agree on this. It's all about how you word the question. There have been a number of questions that were asked that I wasn't sure of and searched google and found the answer.

That's my point, google isn't an option for people anymore. They don't search there or even here for that matter. If so, they would have their answer and save time waiting on a reply.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep, brake out the aspirin now.

Hard liquor to wash it down for the numb pain effect 😨

seriously the real smartphone rush is upon us the last time I saw an adoption chart it was over 50% soon that figure will be near 100% that's hundreds of dumb "I don't know how to turn on my Smartphone threads"

If there able to find the Question thread so easy can't we do like mentioned above give them a Wiki style format of go to Answers linked to threads that have the answers there looking for

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I just came to a realization today about the coming iPhone release this fall...we are in for an absolute cluster f*ck (forgive my language).

Seeing all the threads that pop up in our "Ask a Question" section in regard to unlocking an iPhone/iPad that someone bought on the private market, this fall is going to bring with it a new challenge in that many of the people who switch from one iOS 7 device to a new one will also probably sell their old device, and just based on what we've already seen, there is going to be an absolute TSUNAMI of improperly reset (or un-reset) devices that go out on the market, ship to new owners and will cause so much headache for Apple, for online communities such as ours and most importantly, for the potential new owners who may not know how to go about proactively addressing this before an item is sent to them.

This fall is going to be a disaster I have a feeling. I think iMore needs to start putting out PSA's and stuff as headlines (to get really solid info out to the masses when they search for this stuff).

So wait.... how do I play a music cd on my iphone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget about the unscrupulous people who deliberately sell devices that they know have the activation lock enabled. They do exist, and likewise, people who knowingly buy those devices, but think they will be able to come to forums like iMore to find information on how to bypass it. You know them -- The ones allegedly dumb enough to buy the devices, but smart enough to know exactly where to come to find help whereas the typical consumer is totally oblivious to tech sites....:)

Last edited:

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget about the unscrupulous people who deliberately sell devices that they know to have the activation lock enabled. They do exist, and likewise, people who knowingly buy those devices, but think they will be able to come to forums like iMore to find information on how to bypass it. You know them -- The ones allegedly dumb enough to buy the devices, but smart enough to know exactly where to come to find help whereas the typical consumer is totally oblivious to tech sites....:)

Oh, Lord, no, I will be getting the new iPhone as it is in the shrink-wrapped box it comes in. Whether they call it the 6 or whatever, I am totally getting brand new devices from Apple, no messing with activation locks...

I am getting excited for Fall, now you that you mentioned it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh