What made you decide to try an Apple product?

Ray41

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I wanted a device to listen to music so I bought a iPod nano 3rd gen. Then I upgraded to iPod Touch. I was able to get my first phone, which was an LG optimus but because of the iPod Touch, I disliked android. When Sprint finally started carrying the iPhone 4S in a heartbeat I got it and finally upgraded to the iPhone 5. I love the ecosystem!

accesstech1

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The ecosystem and the fact that they "just seem to work". I have owned virtually every Apple device and owned most Windows products because of business. If I were starting in business today, I would have bypassed all Microsoft products. This from a 72 years old Fart!

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It was my growing frustration with windows mobile 6.1 and my experience with windows vista that made me go apple. First the original iphone and then a MacBook despite the windows PC I built being way more powerful

Apparently so, Microsoft ditched Windows Mobile themselves too and went for Windows Phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trypleight

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Got tired of the blue screen of death on my Compaq Presario. Bought 2 MacBooks (1 for my wife and 1 for me), then imported 2 iPhones from the states (I live in Canada) in 2007. All tolled...

2 MacBooks
2 iPhones
2 iPhone 3
2 iPhone 3GS
2 iPhone 4
2 iPhone 4S
2 iPad
2 iPhone 5
2 iPad Minis
3 AirPort Express
1 AirPort Extreme
1 Apple TV (1st Gen)
1 Apple TV (2nd Gen)
2 iPhone 6 (coming soon)

An Apple a day keeps the windows blue screen away!

Cheers!

alexislgz

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Initially ever since i had a blackberry i was like ewww apple! but then again i kind of wanted to know what it felt to be on the apple side of things so afer like 4 years going from blackberry to android and then android again (which was the last straw as i hated that phone) i said ENOUGH!! I NEED AN IPHONE!! i mean that design and IOS7!! that really made it for me its just so cute so good SO COLORFUL!! and it goes amazing with my white iphone!! now if god lets me i'll buy myself an ipad mini with retina display and maybe next year mt first macbook air!! APPLE FOR THE WIN!! :p:heart:

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I loved the streamline ui. It seemed so easy to use and navigate. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Marvin Uche

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I've always loved gadgets and while I was in high school,there weren't so many people using apple products considering we didn't know anything about it hear in Nigeria, so my sony psp 1000 was my best gadget at the time as I hacked it.One day, it got stolen and I wasn't angry because I knew that I would have to move on to something better.I went around and One of my friends had the first generation iPod touch and it was just amazing how it worked,the App Store,the music player,the browser and the more doors where opened with jailbreak. I loved it instantly and saved to buy the second generation iPod touch.Ever since, I've used four iPod touches,three iPod shuffles,the sixth gen nano, three iPads, a Macbook pro and a macbook air.I don't have a smartphone yet even though there are cheap android phones everywhere because I will only be satisfied when i've saved enough to get the iPhone5s.Plus so far, I have convinced 102 people to get apple devices (i've been counting because it gets me excited when I know one of my friends got one because of my influence).

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I was at Best Buy to purchase a Blackberry Playbook and while the clerk was getting the Playbook out of the back I started playing with an iPad 2 on display. It blew me away but I was hell bent on that Playbook. Needless to say, after a week of disappointment I was returning the Playbook and purchasing the iPad 2. Six months later I bought the iPhone 4S after being disappointed with a Blackberry Bold (I was a stout BB man if you can't tell). Two months later I bought an HP Pavillion DV7 and after 8 months of frustrating crashes, blue screens of death, and sending it in for service I bought a 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro. The rest is history. Now in my house we have 4 iPad minis, 4th gen iPad, iphone 5, a 5s, a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15", a late 2012 MacBook Air 13", and an Apple TV. My iPad mini retina should be here tomorrow. That 4s is even still hanging around as a back up. Oh and so is that POS HP just because I could never unload it. :)

RationAlex

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
A Lisa 2.

After using a Ti99/4a and a Kaypro running CP/M at home (1980), I started using Apples at work. My desk saw an Apple II with dual floppies, then an Apple III with profile HD, a Lisa 2 and finally a Fat Mac. The Lisa and its software were a revelation. The UI consistency between applications made computing a pleasure in comparison to everything that preceded it. When the Mac improved on it yet again I was sold.

I eventually bought my first Mac, an SE/30, followed by a Dual G5 PowerMac and a core i7 Mini.

mackidockie

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It was 1985 in the heart of Silicon Valley and time to buy a computer for work and home. Didn't matter to me what brand. I took my 10-year old daughter to a computer store and asked her to create a word document on a several machines. All were too arcane except the Mac. She opened MacWrite‎ and started typing in less than two minutes. I've never looked back.

spc1503

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I started programming in 1966 on a CDC 6400. By the time affordable personal computers came out I had been working in computers nearly 20 years. In 1985 I decided my daughter should have a computer (few of her classmates had them back then). I looked at the options, Radio Shack, IBM, Commodore, PET, etc. Finally I decided on a 128k Mac. Although I bought it for my daughter (ha ha), I intended to learn about small computers with the Mac. At first, I was a little confused. I wondered "why would anyone want to change fonts"? And the cut-copy-paste made no sense because I was used to punched cards. My daughter picked it up faster than I did, even though I had been working in computers and have an M.S. in Computer Science. We upgraded it to a Mac Plus and my daughter took it to college. I eventually moved into LAN and Database work, using Novell, DOS, and later Windows. Since I was paid to program PCs, I had them at home until I retired a few years ago. I had several PCs then, but am now down to one. I rejoined the Mac world when the MacBook Air 2011 came out (first one with 4MB ram and 128G SSD). Then I got a Mac Mini with I7, 16GB RAM, etc. Prior to that I had an iPod, iPod Touch, and an iPad. Since then I acquired an iPhone 5S and an iPad Air. That about sums it up.

Delroy Nedd1

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Besides the through media coverage, infamous campers at store and just a general sense of magic and mystery that for me always hungover apple, I use to be #teamblackberry but as we all know around the time of the release of the iPhone 4 people were leaving BB in droves and I absolutely needed to know what witchcraft could make people leave the once great Blackberry just that quick. So I got an iPhone 4S had to wait till my contract was up to fully find out the the magic that is apple. But I started with a iPod touch which was the first strike, then the iPhone 4S was the second strike but all hell broke loose when I Got my MacBook and that was when I knew #teamapple was the way I wanna go. So to answer the question in short, I would have to say the magic and wizardry that is apple is what made me try an apple product.

snapstan

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Was and still am existing in a Windows world professionally. Work is IT; hobby photography. All my photo viewing and editing was via a 15" corporate spec Windows laptop, and I wanted a bigger screen, better colours etc.

First thought was to buy a nice monitor, but the laptop could not drive anything decent. So the decision morphed into a desktop purchase, freeing my photography from the corporate laptop.

Believe it or not, the main driver for my eventual 27" iMac purchase was its fit into the living room ? Sleek and tidy without separate tower, and inoffensive with wireless peripherals to put away in a draw.

Apart from expense, the biggest part of the move was learning new software (OSX; Aperture).

Two and a half years on, the whole family now have iOS devices, whilst the wife and I both have Windows laptops as well.

Today I find myself using any one of four tools depending on task:

? Anything in MS Office - Windows (the OSX versions suck IMHO).
? Photo processing - iMac for real stuff; iPad/ iPhone when mobile, or for quick casual stuff. Apple when will edits/ meta edits on iPad synchronise with Aperture? Please?
? Photo consumption - any device, aided by photostream, browsers (for services like SmugMug) and wonder apps like PhotoSync.
? Email - any device
? IM - generally iPhone ? Wish the world had iMessage but <50% of those I communicate have it.
? Apps - iOS ones downloaded all the time; OSX ones rarely; windows almost never.

Dropbox is the glue that binds them all together! In fact anything cross platform is my friend: Dropbox; PhotoSync; Evernote; Chrome (bookmark sync); 1Password.

All good fun.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

flappah

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
My first Mac was actually a disappointment. Back in '96 or '97 (not quite sure) I bought a Powerbook to do my regular dev-work on. This turned out to be not the success I'd hoped and I switched back to Windows laptops. When in '01 the iPod came by I was one of the first to buy such a device (after my Sony discman had got stolen I thought this to be the perfect excuse to buy an MP3 player). The iPod was a resounding succes and it kinda pulled me over the line to buy a Mac mini in 2005. Just to get a Mac and see if I could get some use out of it. The objective was to have it stand in the living room and use it for email/web kinda usage. This turned out to be quite a succes. The machine did what is was supposed to do and did it quite well. No maintenance required. It just worked.

In '07 the rumours about a real internet-enabled cellphone surfaced. I got *really* interested. Already back in 2000/2001 I had thought of the cellphone as kinda obsolete. Just give the damn thing Internet, I thought. That's what I really want. Now in '06 I'd bought some "smartphone" (as Samsung had dubbed it. As always, Samsung's labels are more than they actually deliver) that supposedly could do the task. It didn't. I got really anxious about the Apple-phone rumours. When in June Apple unveiled the iPhone I was convinced and wanted one. Alas, the company didn't release the telephone in my part of the world. But it did release the iPod Touch. So I bought that one instead, hooked it up to the crappy Samsung to share its Internet. Loved the iPod/hated the Samsung (still hate Samsung actually, except they do make decent TV's. Other story).

When the iPhone finally was released in '08 I bought that one instead and with a passion I threw the Samsung against the wall. Never has a dull-plastic-wall-impacting-thud sounded better. Also in early '08 the Macbook Air first gen was released and now I was already quite on the Apple-path so I gave that machine a go. The experience convinced me even further. I really liked the little machine. Weight-wise it was superior to anything. Except, I couldn't let stand unattended at my workspace since it lacked the Kensington-port. I also had bought an HP Pavillion laptop in '07 that was my main workhorse. It turned out that I'd quicker took the HP with me than the Apple, precisely for that Kensington-port. And since I do quite some Windows dev work I more or less favoured the HP. Now HP makes nice machines but they have a failure rate beyond imagination. Of all the people I know who did buy an HP Pavillion laptop, only one I know of hasn't had to send it back to get repaired. The same thing happened to me. Within 1,5 years the machine failed. Motherboard failure. By this time I had gotten quite fed up with Windows laptops (maintenance, maintenance, and more maintenance). Before the HP I had had a Sony that also had met its premature demise. This was pretty much it. I just walked to the store and bought a late-2008 Macbook Pro. Still have the machine and use it to its fullest. I've maxed the memory recently to 8GB and swapped the HD for an SSD. Works still wonders!

Now the Mac-mini has been changed for an iMac, iPad has been bought, changed for iPad 2, upgraded to iPad 3 and finally upgraded to iPad Air. Also couldn't hold back when the iPad mini got released last year, so yeah, one could say that I in 10/15 years time got *really* Apple-minded!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods