In 2003 I wanted an MP3 player and everyone told me the iPod sucked. So I tried most MP3 players other than that at the time. I hated them all. I got a third gen iPod (the one with the light up orange buttons) and was shocked to find everyone had been telling me lies. I couldn't put it down after I got it. I even suffered music match software on Windows before iTunes was brought over. From that period to January 2007 I went through more cell phones than I could possibly ever try to remember. I was always on a quest for something "better". I could never figure it out but I just always got bored of or hated my phone sometimes within days of getting a new one.

Then I saw the iPhone in January 2007. I was consumed by it for 6 long months. I lined up on day one. Didn't need MMS then, I don't even use it today. Now I'm here.
    01-29-2014 10:05 PM
    as far as I can recall my first Apple product must have been an iPod nano (back when the screens were black and white). That already got me hooked because the MP3 players I had bought and used before were across the board crap. The iPod was beautiful, sleek and just playing in a completely different league. I then basically updated my iPod each year and became fond of the Apple brand. When iPhone was introduced I was very curious but regardless waited two further generations till the 3GS which then ultimately turned out to become my absolute gateway drug to the Apple ecosystem. What followed was my first MacBook in 2010 and iPad 2 to round it off in 2011. I'll admit that since Steve's passing I have invested much more time into Apple related books, articles and as a result am a huge admirer of Apple (products), probably more than ever.
    Ray41 likes this.
    01-29-2014 10:14 PM
    Mobile deposits from BOA. That and iTunes University.
    01-30-2014 04:01 AM
    Got tired of BlackBerry and their lack of quality apps
    This was basically it for me too. Forgot to mention I started with a refurb iPod Touch along withy BlackBerry to test Apple out.
    01-30-2014 04:05 AM
    I can comprehend the sentiment that the iPhone's screen is smaller than the competition, but it is one beautiful display. You could go ahead and get an iPhone and an iPad, at some point, for when you want a big screen. I find the iPhone's screen to be just fine for when I'm out and a about and plan to have the rMini for when I want a somewhat bigger screen when out but plan to keep the iPad Air for home/office use. So, if you consider having an iPad the iPhone's smaller screen makes much less of an impact, while still allowing you to be quite discreet.
    I'm might buy the retina iPad Mini here soon, within the next couple months if I do. Either that, or I might wait until the next gen one is released depends on which one I have the money for first. For the iPhone, I'll for sure wait until the iPhone 6 or whenever they increase the screen size, and probably buy it off contract as a backup phone.
    01-30-2014 01:55 PM
    I'm might buy the retina iPad Mini here soon, within the next couple months if I do. Either that, or I might wait until the next gen one is released depends on which one I have the money for first. For the iPhone, I'll for sure wait until the iPhone 6 or whenever they increase the screen size, and probably buy it off contract as a backup phone.
    I hope for you then, that they do indeed increase the screen size in the iPhone 6. I sure as heck know most people here think that'll happen. It'll be a big disappointment if the screen size doesn't increase notably.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 
    01-30-2014 02:14 PM
    one thing , iTunes
    01-30-2014 02:36 PM
    I owned several Toshiba laptops in the early 00's...they were atrocious, cheaply made junk, but they offered what I needed for the money I was willing to spend. After growing tired of having to have them serviced (by Geek Squad no less, which was a headache in itself), I wanted something different. My sister had bought a Macbook in 2006, and was very happy with it, expressing how much she enjoyed using it and how she would never go back.

I went to the Apple store a few months afterwards to check out what they had. The stores at that point were very different than they are now...not as chaotic, a lot more one on one walk in service, and having owned an iPod for some time before that (that i bought online), I kind of had an idea that their products were on a different level (especially given the cost, which to me was pretty high back then).

I sat down with one of the employees in the Apple store and he walked me through EVERYTHING...but at that time, Macs were still limited on what they could replace when it came to a very deeply rooted Windows based world. I was worried there would be things that I would not be able to do...until the gentleman showed me the machine running both OSX and Windows XP...I was sold. This was my way out. The price was still high, but after understanding the service I would be provided with the product, and the fact that the OS instantly struck me as inviting and nice to use, I was hooked.

I can't really say that the iPod I had so many years before represented any real decision for me to "try" Apple...it was more of a lack of option when it came to high storage MP3 devices. I really liked it, but it never made me want to buy anything else Apple related.
    01-31-2014 10:20 AM
    the quality for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    iRiidium likes this.
    01-31-2014 10:35 AM
    When they released an unlocked iPhone.

I hate contracts and being tied down. I'll pay extra so that I don't have to be locked down.

(At this point, it's actually cheaper for me to buy my own devices.)
    02-01-2014 03:32 PM
    It was my growing frustration with windows mobile 6.1 and my experience with windows vista that made me go apple. First the original iphone and then a MacBook despite the windows PC I built being way more powerful
    02-03-2014 06:49 PM
    I wanted a device to listen to music so I bought a iPod nano 3rd gen. Then I upgraded to iPod Touch. I was able to get my first phone, which was an LG optimus but because of the iPod Touch, I disliked android. When Sprint finally started carrying the iPhone 4S in a heartbeat I got it and finally upgraded to the iPhone 5. I love the ecosystem!
    02-03-2014 06:49 PM
    The ecosystem and the fact that they "just seem to work". I have owned virtually every Apple device and owned most Windows products because of business. If I were starting in business today, I would have bypassed all Microsoft products. This from a 72 years old Fart!
    02-03-2014 06:51 PM
    It was my growing frustration with windows mobile 6.1 and my experience with windows vista that made me go apple. First the original iphone and then a MacBook despite the windows PC I built being way more powerful
    Apparently so, Microsoft ditched Windows Mobile themselves too and went for Windows Phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Speedygi; 02-03-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    02-03-2014 06:59 PM
    I like apple because they care about people with disabities. I am visually impaired and love the iphone 4s and the ipad2.
    Speedygi likes this.
    02-03-2014 07:52 PM
    Got tired of the blue screen of death on my Compaq Presario. Bought 2 MacBooks (1 for my wife and 1 for me), then imported 2 iPhones from the states (I live in Canada) in 2007. All tolled...

2 MacBooks
    2 iPhones
    2 iPhone 3
    2 iPhone 3GS
    2 iPhone 4
    2 iPhone 4S
    2 iPad
    2 iPhone 5
    2 iPad Minis
    3 AirPort Express
    1 AirPort Extreme
    1 Apple TV (1st Gen)
    1 Apple TV (2nd Gen)
    2 iPhone 6 (coming soon)

An Apple a day keeps the windows blue screen away!

Cheers!
    02-03-2014 08:01 PM
    Initially ever since i had a blackberry i was like ewww apple! but then again i kind of wanted to know what it felt to be on the apple side of things so afer like 4 years going from blackberry to android and then android again (which was the last straw as i hated that phone) i said ENOUGH!! I NEED AN IPHONE!! i mean that design and IOS7!! that really made it for me its just so cute so good SO COLORFUL!! and it goes amazing with my white iphone!! now if god lets me i'll buy myself an ipad mini with retina display and maybe next year mt first macbook air!! APPLE FOR THE WIN!!
    02-03-2014 08:14 PM
    I loved the streamline ui. It seemed so easy to use and navigate.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    02-03-2014 08:26 PM
    I've always loved gadgets and while I was in high school,there weren't so many people using apple products considering we didn't know anything about it hear in Nigeria, so my sony psp 1000 was my best gadget at the time as I hacked it.One day, it got stolen and I wasn't angry because I knew that I would have to move on to something better.I went around and One of my friends had the first generation iPod touch and it was just amazing how it worked,the App Store,the music player,the browser and the more doors where opened with jailbreak. I loved it instantly and saved to buy the second generation iPod touch.Ever since, I've used four iPod touches,three iPod shuffles,the sixth gen nano, three iPads, a Macbook pro and a macbook air.I don't have a smartphone yet even though there are cheap android phones everywhere because I will only be satisfied when i've saved enough to get the iPhone5s.Plus so far, I have convinced 102 people to get apple devices (i've been counting because it gets me excited when I know one of my friends got one because of my influence).
    02-03-2014 08:33 PM
    I was at Best Buy to purchase a Blackberry Playbook and while the clerk was getting the Playbook out of the back I started playing with an iPad 2 on display. It blew me away but I was hell bent on that Playbook. Needless to say, after a week of disappointment I was returning the Playbook and purchasing the iPad 2. Six months later I bought the iPhone 4S after being disappointed with a Blackberry Bold (I was a stout BB man if you can't tell). Two months later I bought an HP Pavillion DV7 and after 8 months of frustrating crashes, blue screens of death, and sending it in for service I bought a 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro. The rest is history. Now in my house we have 4 iPad minis, 4th gen iPad, iphone 5, a 5s, a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15", a late 2012 MacBook Air 13", and an Apple TV. My iPad mini retina should be here tomorrow. That 4s is even still hanging around as a back up. Oh and so is that POS HP just because I could never unload it.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    02-03-2014 08:56 PM
    Nice!!!
    02-03-2014 09:00 PM
    Macbreak Weekly
    02-03-2014 09:18 PM
    Rush Limbaugh
    02-03-2014 09:23 PM
    Rush Limbaugh
    Roflmao!!!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-03-2014 09:49 PM
    I chose the iPhone because Apple created both the hardware and software. They work beautifully together.
    anon(73368) likes this.
    02-03-2014 09:56 PM
97 1234