I want to keep using ios, but fear lock in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't really fear Apple lock in. I rarely buy video content from iTunes. The article that Keith linked is pretty good and that's pretty much how it is as long DRM comes into play.

I am the same way. I have an iPhone and also a nexus 7, so I get a taste of both. I am not a huge buyer of content on either platform so it doesn't worry me about "lock in" I usually just stream the content or get it off line and download it onto whatever device I want.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am the same way. I have an iPhone and also a nexus 7, so I get a taste of both. I am not a huge buyer of content on either platform so it doesn't worry me about "lock in" I usually just stream the content or get it off line and download it onto whatever device I want.

As for me I just buy physical media, they can be ripped and I don't have to think of overcoming DRM limitations.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Those that leave and go to Android will be back...sooner or later.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

This is true. I am a good example :p

I think with iOS you can at least take for granted the experience. You like or dislike it but you KNOW what it will be. Because of Androids fragmentation the same can't be said for that camp, unless you find and buy a Nexus device (I know of at least 2 major US carriers that don't sell them). I think that's, at least, part of the reason.

Sent from my Haalcyon iPad Air LTE 

This is also true. I've written a small novel on this subject previously and don't feel like re-hashing it. Short version is that I was lured to the Android world from my iPhone 3G to a Galaxy S2 and later ASUS tablet by increased customization and widgets I could play with. A couple years later I got sick of the fragmentation and other typical issues associated with Android and am back with a product that I know works very well and will actually see updates. Funny thing is that I don't find myself one iota less productive with the 'less customizable, less open' iOS products than I did with my more 'open' Android products.

Then the answer is don't buy vids from iTunes.
Even if I were to say I'm done with iOS devices. I'll always have a Mac for Apple content and a Apple TV. All you need is one device to enjoy the content.
It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can have Apple and Android if you choose. Plenty if users do. It's not that deep. Enjoy both platforms if you desire.
I enjoy Amazon instant content but if I needed a Kindle Fire to play it I wouldn't get a Kindle Fire because Amazon doesn't have that much of a difference in content from Apple or Netflix. Just a few titles.
For me there's is nothing that Android has that I feel I'm missing out on but customization. But I've been there with Android and I just don't have time for that. No one would care if I have a orange keyboard on my phone but me. When I was on Android I didn't even care.
My vibe is set it , forget it, next.

I haven't bought a movie in years. In my younger days I'd pay $20 to own a movie, watch a couple times, and that's it. Waste of money. So I just rent my movies now. If I did have a collection of movies I'd agree with the suggestion to just get physical copies and rip them in. Every online movie store has DRM of some sort, some are just more cross-platform than others with their DRM.

I agree about the whole customization allure. Honestly, unless you're 12 years old (no offense to any 12 year olds on here) it gets old real quick. So I can change my icon and theme pack - whoopee frickin doo...too bad my phone with customized icons will never be updated to the latest version of Android (and no, rooting and ROM'ing it is not a valid solution to the average customer, even though I did with mine).

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
^Agree. I got tired real quick on rooting and ROMing my Android phones. ...just wanted something that worked well but didn't require any work. For me, iOS is a good choice...and I'm can JB if I get bored. I do IT for a living and sometimes when I am not in the office I don't want to fight, coax, or tweak with IT in my personal time.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
^Agree. I got tired real quick on rooting and ROMing my Android phones. ...just wanted something that worked well but didn't require any work. For me, iOS is a good choice...and I'm can JB if I get bored. I do IT for a living and sometimes when I am not in the office I don't want to fight, coax, or tweak with IT in my personal time.

I work in IT as well. But yet the common stereotype is that Apple products are for the 'technologically ignorant, who don't like to fiddle with their phones'. I think that people mistakenly associate being technologically proficient with choosing to work with a product that needs constant tweaking to work right over a product that works well with minimal hassles. The two are not related.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I work in IT as well. But yet the common stereotype is that Apple products are for the 'technologically ignorant, who don't like to fiddle with their phones'. I think that people mistakenly associate being technologically proficient with choosing to work with a product that needs constant tweaking to work right over a product that works well with minimal hassles. The two are not related.

Agree. I like iOS devices because, IME, they work EXACTLY, like intended and that means VERY WELL indeed. With Android I had to work to get the devices there ...and tweak, and tune (I'm not a fan on stock Android, its like eating dry lettuce to me). Sometimes I'm in the mood to tweak, tune, and play, but right now, this season, I'm not. I just want something that works and works well STOCK.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Again, not true. If you want to put in the effort, there is a way around every bit of DRM... perhaps not legally (thanks to the DMCA), but possible.

This should always be the #2 post on threads like this instead of #50. I was wondering when I was going to get to someone
just saying it already.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Then go to Android. They?d be glad/proud to have you. Still SMH.

This was my exact thought when reading. I just don't get...and never will....people that whine about something instead of just doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This was my exact thought when reading. I just don't get...and never will....people that whine about something instead of just doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

At our house, we call them a "drama mamma"... folks just begging for attention... find it at all cost...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Agree. I like iOS devices because, IME, they work EXACTLY, like intended and that means VERY WELL indeed. With Android I had to work to get the devices there ...and tweak, and tune (I'm not a fan on stock Android, its like eating dry lettuce to me). Sometimes I'm in the mood to tweak, tune, and play, but right now, this season, I'm not. I just want something that works and works well STOCK.

When did you last use android? Because it's actually improved leaps and bounds in just the last year or so.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
When did you last use android? Because it's actually improved leaps and bounds in just the last year or so.

I've been hearing this line for the past three years. It's like the standard "it's getting better" line to say "THIS is the year Android is almost as smooth and reliable as iOS!". I heard it for Gingerbread, ICS, JB, etc, etc, etc. I specifically remember that JB's Project Butter was supposed to be THE answer to make Android phones run as well as iOS (it wasn't).

'Almost' as good is not good enough.

Can my non-Nexus Android phone get updates as reliably as iOS? Updating individual apps through Google Play - another standard argument - doesn't count, unless that method can somehow put Google Now on a pre 4.1 device. Does updating apps through the Google Play store get your un-updated phone the improved low memory optimizations that 4.4 Kit Kat provide? No? Than it's a poor band aid for Android's fragmentation issue. That's like getting an iOS 7 visual refresh for an iOS 4 device, but without control center and the core OS improvements that also come with it. Close, but not quite. Does updating Google apps through the Play Store allow out of date phones to run third party apps that require the core OS to be a higher version?

These are core issues that prevent Android from being 'better' than iOS. The best one can hope for is 'good enough'. Some people are fine with 'good enough' at the same price as 'better', I'm not one of them.

I'm sure next year, Android will have still improved by leaps and bounds to be 'almost' as good as iOS. And the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that. It's this generation's "this is the year of Linux!"

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I think I just got tired/bored with Android's approach after trying a plethora of devices trying to get the experience I really wanted. I am not a fan of the look of stock android at all but I appreciate that with Nova Prime I could tune the look and easily transplant it amongst any device. iOS, it's minimalistic approach, quality hardware (so good you can just take it for granted) and iOS' app ecosystem pulled me away and I'm quite happy right now.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Using Google and Amazon is better because while you are locked into their platform for video, you can use their platform on competing os's like iOS, Android, or Fire devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Using Google and Amazon is better because while you are locked into their platform for video, you can use their platform on competing os's like iOS, Android, or Fire devices.

This also goes for any of their other apps.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I know this thread is old, but its still something I struggle with. I did get a HTC one m8. And while I think its a good phone, I do miss some things on my 5S like performance of certain games. Althoughbi will say that I love the bigger screen and I think that googles new material design is fantastic and easily on par with apples iOS design.

I also still like that I get more hardware choice with android.

But again, the update thing is a issue since this I'd a carrier, non nexus device. So who knows when I'll receive 5.0 lollipop. And its won't be the same lollipop, visually, that I would get on a nexus device.

And again, performance isn't terrible on android, but it's still not quite iOS smooth.

And if I get a macbook, which I still might do, I lose out on continuity between the phone and computer.

So really, it's a tough choice.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So I know this thread is old, but its still something I struggle with. I did get a HTC one m8. And while I think its a good phone, I do miss some things on my 5S like performance of certain games. Althoughbi will say that I love the bigger screen and I think that googles new material design is fantastic and easily on par with apples iOS design.

I also still like that I get more hardware choice with android.

But again, the update thing is a issue since this I'd a carrier, non nexus device. So who knows when I'll receive 5.0 lollipop. And its won't be the same lollipop, visually, that I would get on a nexus device.

And again, performance isn't terrible on android, but it's still not quite iOS smooth.

And if I get a macbook, which I still might do, I lose out on continuity between the phone and computer.

So really, it's a tough choice.

How is it everytime you have a dilemma about iOS and Android, you have to make it like it is the end of a road or something. Nothing is smoother than an iOS device in my opinion, but if you don't use iOS' services and apps there's no point in recommending it to you. There are a dozen ways of looking at this but you just have to weigh your needs and get the device that fills those needs, and no fan can detract you from that decision process, only you can if you let it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather be locked in to iOS and the Apple ecosystem than not being able to get a major software update when it's released and I have a device that can handle it.
One reason why I never considered sticking with Android. Android just held me over until Sprint got the iPhone.

Making phone calls on my MacBook Air through my iPhone is a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal