When did you last use android? Because it's actually improved leaps and bounds in just the last year or so.
    Last month. I came out of a G2 and Optimus G Pro. Both with CM 10.2.

Sent from my Plutonium 5s 64
    02-07-2014 04:02 AM
    When did you last use android? Because it's actually improved leaps and bounds in just the last year or so.
    yet you’re still here, still asking theiOS or Android question...
    02-07-2014 09:21 AM
    I've been hearing this line for the past three years. It's like the standard "it's getting better" line to say "THIS is the year Android is almost as smooth and reliable as iOS!". I heard it for Gingerbread, ICS, JB, etc, etc, etc. I specifically remember that JB's Project Butter was supposed to be THE answer to make Android phones run as well as iOS (it wasn't).

'Almost' as good is not good enough.

Can my non-Nexus Android phone get updates as reliably as iOS? Updating individual apps through Google Play - another standard argument - doesn't count, unless that method can somehow put Google Now on a pre 4.1 device. Does updating apps through the Google Play store get your un-updated phone the improved low memory optimizations that 4.4 Kit Kat provide? No? Than it's a poor band aid for Android's fragmentation issue. That's like getting an iOS 7 visual refresh for an iOS 4 device, but without control center and the core OS improvements that also come with it. Close, but not quite. Does updating Google apps through the Play Store allow out of date phones to run third party apps that require the core OS to be a higher version?

These are core issues that prevent Android from being 'better' than iOS. The best one can hope for is 'good enough'. Some people are fine with 'good enough' at the same price as 'better', I'm not one of them.

I'm sure next year, Android will have still improved by leaps and bounds to be 'almost' as good as iOS. And the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that. It's this generation's "this is the year of Linux!"
    02-07-2014 10:35 AM
    I think I just got tired/bored with Android's approach after trying a plethora of devices trying to get the experience I really wanted. I am not a fan of the look of stock android at all but I appreciate that with Nova Prime I could tune the look and easily transplant it amongst any device. iOS, it's minimalistic approach, quality hardware (so good you can just take it for granted) and iOS' app ecosystem pulled me away and I'm quite happy right now.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64
    02-07-2014 11:18 AM
    Using Google and Amazon is better because while you are locked into their platform for video, you can use their platform on competing os's like iOS, Android, or Fire devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-13-2014 08:44 PM
    Using Google and Amazon is better because while you are locked into their platform for video, you can use their platform on competing os's like iOS, Android, or Fire devices.

This also goes for any of their other apps.

11-13-2014 08:45 PM
    So I know this thread is old, but its still something I struggle with. I did get a HTC one m8. And while I think its a good phone, I do miss some things on my 5S like performance of certain games. Althoughbi will say that I love the bigger screen and I think that googles new material design is fantastic and easily on par with apples iOS design.

I also still like that I get more hardware choice with android.

But again, the update thing is a issue since this I'd a carrier, non nexus device. So who knows when I'll receive 5.0 lollipop. And its won't be the same lollipop, visually, that I would get on a nexus device.

And again, performance isn't terrible on android, but it's still not quite iOS smooth.

And if I get a macbook, which I still might do, I lose out on continuity between the phone and computer.

So really, it's a tough choice.
    11-13-2014 11:21 PM
    So I know this thread is old, but its still something I struggle with. I did get a HTC one m8. And while I think its a good phone, I do miss some things on my 5S like performance of certain games. Althoughbi will say that I love the bigger screen and I think that googles new material design is fantastic and easily on par with apples iOS design.

I also still like that I get more hardware choice with android.

But again, the update thing is a issue since this I'd a carrier, non nexus device. So who knows when I'll receive 5.0 lollipop. And its won't be the same lollipop, visually, that I would get on a nexus device.

And again, performance isn't terrible on android, but it's still not quite iOS smooth.

And if I get a macbook, which I still might do, I lose out on continuity between the phone and computer.

So really, it's a tough choice.
    How is it everytime you have a dilemma about iOS and Android, you have to make it like it is the end of a road or something. Nothing is smoother than an iOS device in my opinion, but if you don't use iOS' services and apps there's no point in recommending it to you. There are a dozen ways of looking at this but you just have to weigh your needs and get the device that fills those needs, and no fan can detract you from that decision process, only you can if you let it.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    11-14-2014 10:16 AM
    I'd rather be locked in to iOS and the Apple ecosystem than not being able to get a major software update when it's released and I have a device that can handle it.
    One reason why I never considered sticking with Android. Android just held me over until Sprint got the iPhone.

Making phone calls on my MacBook Air through my iPhone is a dream.
    11-14-2014 10:55 AM
    I'd rather be locked in to iOS and the Apple ecosystem than not being able to get a major software update when it's released and I have a device that can handle it.
    One reason why I never considered sticking with Android. Android just held me over until Sprint got the iPhone.

Making phone calls on my MacBook Air through my iPhone is a dream.
    I rarely make calls anymore. It's all text messages. And u don't get a ton if those anyway.
    11-14-2014 03:39 PM
    How is it everytime you have a dilemma about iOS and Android, you have to make it like it is the end of a road or something. Nothing is smoother than an iOS device in my opinion, but if you don't use iOS' services and apps there's no point in recommending it to you. There are a dozen ways of looking at this but you just have to weigh your needs and get the device that fills those needs, and no fan can detract you from that decision process, only you can if you let it.
    I treat it like that because these companies are creating lock in more than ever. Apples doing continuity, Google is doing their chrome syncing, Microsoft is doing their windows everywhere thing. If I have a bunch of different devices and ecosystems, that fragmentation could create problems since they don't work with each other.
    11-14-2014 03:41 PM
    I treat it like that because these companies are creating lock in more than ever. Apples doing continuity, Google is doing their chrome syncing, Microsoft is doing their windows everywhere thing. If I have a bunch of different devices and ecosystems, that fragmentation could create problems since they don't work with each other.
    iOS does Google and Microsoft Office apps.

Android does pretty much Google.

Microsoft does pretty much Microsoft.

Case closed.
    calebt likes this.
    11-14-2014 03:44 PM
    iOS does Google and Microsoft Office apps.

Android does pretty much Google.

Microsoft does pretty much Microsoft.

Case closed.
    Android is getting Microsoft Office as well. You still get Google stuff on a Windows PC.
    11-14-2014 06:01 PM
    Android is getting Microsoft Office as well. You still get Google stuff on a Windows PC.
    At this point I don't think anyone here can really help you decide. You have been going on with this for a long while now.

These companies can't lock you in if you don't spend money with them.
    11-14-2014 06:11 PM
    RavenSword you need a flip phone of some kind. Then no worries of being locked into anything except the year 2000.
    11-14-2014 07:06 PM
    RavenSword you need a flip phone of some kind. Then no worries of being locked into anything except the year 2000.
    Amen...
    11-14-2014 07:33 PM
    So just buy everything.
    calebt and GSOgymrat like this.
    11-15-2014 01:19 AM
    So just buy everything.
    A person after my own heart. I concur.
    11-15-2014 09:59 AM
    Use Google apps to ensure support on the most devices. If you use all Google apps then you can easily switch between iOS and android. The only holdout is Windows phone. Google may start showing them some love if they ever get past 2 users.

11-15-2014 11:20 AM
    So just buy everything.
    Come on man, this is actually a serious issue I'm having. I mean, I like apples hardware and they make great products. Macbooks, from what I hear because I've bevervowned a Mac before, are pretty much considered the best laptops. And I enjoy my iPad a ton. Its just I'm not sure if uos is a better mobile IS anymore. In able to access more info and data on android, multitasking is better, and so is notifications comoared to iOS. Plus I think google matched apple in design with material design (although how that will translate to my HTC one m8, I don't know. ) and etc. I do still notice iOS having a gaming performance advantage.espeacily now with metal.

But again there's the update problem with android. But its not really as bad before
    11-15-2014 09:08 PM
    Once you are in on a specific operating eco system, there is that small chance of backing out of it. Since I tried Blackberry, Windows Phone, Android and iOS; i prefer iOS and Mac better, so I am just going to stay where I am at. I know how my iPhone, iPad, Macbook air, and apple tv works, so I will work with what I know.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    11-15-2014 10:49 PM
    Come on man, this is actually a serious issue I'm having. I mean, I like apples hardware and they make great products. Macbooks, from what I hear because I've bevervowned a Mac before, are pretty much considered the best laptops. And I enjoy my iPad a ton. Its just I'm not sure if uos is a better mobile IS anymore. In able to access more info and data on android, multitasking is better, and so is notifications comoared to iOS. Plus I think google matched apple in design with material design (although how that will translate to my HTC one m8, I don't know. ) and etc. I do still notice iOS having a gaming performance advantage.espeacily now with metal.

But again there's the update problem with android. But its not really as bad before
    It's not a serious issue. It's the epitome of a "first world problem".
    11-15-2014 10:50 PM
    It's not a serious issue. It's the epitome of a "first world problem".
    Yeah, I guess so. Still something I have to decide on.
    11-15-2014 11:09 PM
    Yeah, I guess so. Still something I have to decide on.
    So just think on it and do what would make the most sense to you. What would make you the most happy.
    11-15-2014 11:17 PM
    By the time RavenSword decides. iPhone 9S will be out.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    Speedygi likes this.
    11-15-2014 11:25 PM
107 ... 2345