The answer is easy don't buy Apple buy physical video Discs and call it a day.
    02-02-2014 08:29 PM
    Or you should grow up and quit being a pest. I can post whatever the hell I want, and frankly I wonder who in the hell you think you are ?

I'm amazed you haven't been moded yet. Heck, maybe you have.

But your just a troll, and this conversation is over.
    Oh, and reported.
    There's an easy way to make this happen...stop creating threads (and really, posting in general).
    Trolling? Really? There's a fix for that. IGNORE us. You'll never see our posts again. Unless you change sides/opinion on that subject, too.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-02-2014 08:47 PM
    To those who buy off iTunes , don't you ever fear the lock in?
    I'm locked in and I like it. It's nice to have access to so many things from my phone. If I'm traveling and I forgot to load something boom it's there in the cloud. It would be nice if I could port all my iBooks and paid apps and movies to another system, but frankly I don't plan on it so why worry about it. Steve Jobs was a great man, and he was an important part of Apple, but he wasn't Apple. I believe that Apple will continue to delight us for many years to come, and I have no worries of losing my DRM-riddled content.
    02-04-2014 07:59 PM
    I'm locked in and I like it. It's nice to have access to so many things from my phone. If I'm traveling and I forgot to load something boom it's there in the cloud. It would be nice if I could port all my iBooks and paid apps and movies to another system, but frankly I don't plan on it so why worry about it. Steve Jobs was a great man, and he was an important part of Apple, but he wasn't Apple. I believe that Apple will continue to delight us for many years to come, and I have no worries of losing my DRM-riddled content.
    If you change devices down the road, say, to Android, you would be singing a different tune. And don't be surprised if one day you come to the same crossroad you so ardently said you wouldn't come to. Lock in is a valid reason for not buying something and certain people have that concern. You may not feel it affects you but it is a concern nevertheless. That much is true.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    02-04-2014 10:50 PM
    If you change devices down the road, say, to Android, you would be singing a different tune. And don't be surprised if one day you come to the same crossroad you so ardently said you wouldn't come to. Lock in is a valid reason for not buying something and certain people have that concern. You may not feel it affects you but it is a concern nevertheless. That much is true.

And that's what I mean. I might be OK with my iPhone and iPad now, but who knows 3 years from now? Heck, even a year from now. Android is looking better and better every year.
    02-05-2014 02:13 AM

And that's why I only buy songs off of iTunes cause those are DRM free.
    I would though love to see a cross platform App Store so you just buy an app once and you can download it to your iOS, android, windows phone or blackberry devices.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk
    02-05-2014 08:38 AM
    And that's what I mean. I might be OK with my iPhone and iPad now, but who knows 3 years from now? Heck, even a year from now. Android is looking better and better every year.
    Then go to Android. They’d be glad/proud to have you. Still SMH.
    Les74 likes this.
    02-05-2014 09:08 AM
    Then go to Android. Theyd be glad/proud to have you. Still SMH.
    Those that leave and go to Android will be back...sooner or later.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 
    02-05-2014 09:29 AM

Some more frequently than others...
    02-05-2014 10:16 AM
    Lol

Sent from my Haalcyon 5s 64
    02-05-2014 10:17 AM

IOS is addictive in that way.

02-05-2014 11:46 AM
    IOS is addictive in that way.

I think with iOS you can at least take for granted the experience. You like or dislike it but you KNOW what it will be. Because of Androids fragmentation the same can't be said for that camp, unless you find and buy a Nexus device (I know of at least 2 major US carriers that don't sell them). I think that's, at least, part of the reason.

Sent from my Haalcyon iPad Air LTE 
    02-05-2014 01:51 PM
    Then the answer is don't buy vids from iTunes.
    Even if I were to say I'm done with iOS devices. I'll always have a Mac for Apple content and a Apple TV. All you need is one device to enjoy the content.
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can have Apple and Android if you choose. Plenty if users do. It's not that deep. Enjoy both platforms if you desire.
    I enjoy Amazon instant content but if I needed a Kindle Fire to play it I wouldn't get a Kindle Fire because Amazon doesn't have that much of a difference in content from Apple or Netflix. Just a few titles.
    For me there's is nothing that Android has that I feel I'm missing out on but customization. But I've been there with Android and I just don't have time for that. No one would care if I have a orange keyboard on my phone but me. When I was on Android I didn't even care.
    My vibe is set it , forget it, next.
    02-05-2014 02:34 PM
    I don't really fear Apple lock in. I rarely buy video content from iTunes. The article that Keith linked is pretty good and that's pretty much how it is as long DRM comes into play.
    I am the same way. I have an iPhone and also a nexus 7, so I get a taste of both. I am not a huge buyer of content on either platform so it doesn't worry me about "lock in" I usually just stream the content or get it off line and download it onto whatever device I want.
    02-05-2014 09:24 PM
    I am the same way. I have an iPhone and also a nexus 7, so I get a taste of both. I am not a huge buyer of content on either platform so it doesn't worry me about "lock in" I usually just stream the content or get it off line and download it onto whatever device I want.
    As for me I just buy physical media, they can be ripped and I don't have to think of overcoming DRM limitations.

Premium1 likes this.
    02-05-2014 10:37 PM
    As for me I just buy physical media, they can be ripped and I don't have to think of overcoming DRM limitations.

Is there a way to watch ripped blurays on a Apple TV?
    02-06-2014 07:07 AM
    Is there a way to watch ripped blurays on a Apple TV?
    If you have a PC or Mac running iTunes with home sharing turned on. Rip to mp4, add to iTunes and you're good to go.
    02-06-2014 07:36 AM

This is true. I am a good example

I think with iOS you can at least take for granted the experience. You like or dislike it but you KNOW what it will be. Because of Androids fragmentation the same can't be said for that camp, unless you find and buy a Nexus device (I know of at least 2 major US carriers that don't sell them). I think that's, at least, part of the reason.

Sent from my Haalcyon iPad Air LTE 
    This is also true. I've written a small novel on this subject previously and don't feel like re-hashing it. Short version is that I was lured to the Android world from my iPhone 3G to a Galaxy S2 and later ASUS tablet by increased customization and widgets I could play with. A couple years later I got sick of the fragmentation and other typical issues associated with Android and am back with a product that I know works very well and will actually see updates. Funny thing is that I don't find myself one iota less productive with the 'less customizable, less open' iOS products than I did with my more 'open' Android products.

Then the answer is don't buy vids from iTunes.
    Even if I were to say I'm done with iOS devices. I'll always have a Mac for Apple content and a Apple TV. All you need is one device to enjoy the content.
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can have Apple and Android if you choose. Plenty if users do. It's not that deep. Enjoy both platforms if you desire.
    I enjoy Amazon instant content but if I needed a Kindle Fire to play it I wouldn't get a Kindle Fire because Amazon doesn't have that much of a difference in content from Apple or Netflix. Just a few titles.
    For me there's is nothing that Android has that I feel I'm missing out on but customization. But I've been there with Android and I just don't have time for that. No one would care if I have a orange keyboard on my phone but me. When I was on Android I didn't even care.
    My vibe is set it , forget it, next.
    I haven't bought a movie in years. In my younger days I'd pay $20 to own a movie, watch a couple times, and that's it. Waste of money. So I just rent my movies now. If I did have a collection of movies I'd agree with the suggestion to just get physical copies and rip them in. Every online movie store has DRM of some sort, some are just more cross-platform than others with their DRM.

I agree about the whole customization allure. Honestly, unless you're 12 years old (no offense to any 12 year olds on here) it gets old real quick. So I can change my icon and theme pack - whoopee frickin doo...too bad my phone with customized icons will never be updated to the latest version of Android (and no, rooting and ROM'ing it is not a valid solution to the average customer, even though I did with mine).
    02-06-2014 02:23 PM
    ^Agree. I got tired real quick on rooting and ROMing my Android phones. ...just wanted something that worked well but didn't require any work. For me, iOS is a good choice...and I'm can JB if I get bored. I do IT for a living and sometimes when I am not in the office I don't want to fight, coax, or tweak with IT in my personal time.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE
    02-06-2014 03:07 PM
    ^Agree. I got tired real quick on rooting and ROMing my Android phones. ...just wanted something that worked well but didn't require any work. For me, iOS is a good choice...and I'm can JB if I get bored. I do IT for a living and sometimes when I am not in the office I don't want to fight, coax, or tweak with IT in my personal time.

I work in IT as well. But yet the common stereotype is that Apple products are for the 'technologically ignorant, who don't like to fiddle with their phones'. I think that people mistakenly associate being technologically proficient with choosing to work with a product that needs constant tweaking to work right over a product that works well with minimal hassles. The two are not related.
    pr1nce likes this.
    02-06-2014 03:19 PM
    I work in IT as well. But yet the common stereotype is that Apple products are for the 'technologically ignorant, who don't like to fiddle with their phones'. I think that people mistakenly associate being technologically proficient with choosing to work with a product that needs constant tweaking to work right over a product that works well with minimal hassles. The two are not related.
    Agree. I like iOS devices because, IME, they work EXACTLY, like intended and that means VERY WELL indeed. With Android I had to work to get the devices there ...and tweak, and tune (I'm not a fan on stock Android, its like eating dry lettuce to me). Sometimes I'm in the mood to tweak, tune, and play, but right now, this season, I'm not. I just want something that works and works well STOCK.

Last edited by iRiidium; 02-06-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    pr1nce likes this.
    02-06-2014 03:31 PM
    Again, not true. If you want to put in the effort, there is a way around every bit of DRM... perhaps not legally (thanks to the DMCA), but possible.
    This should always be the #2 post on threads like this instead of #50. I was wondering when I was going to get to someone
    just saying it already.
    02-06-2014 07:47 PM
    Then go to Android. Theyd be glad/proud to have you. Still SMH.
    This was my exact thought when reading. I just don't get...and never will....people that whine about something instead of just doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app
    02-06-2014 09:58 PM
    This was my exact thought when reading. I just don't get...and never will....people that whine about something instead of just doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app
    At our house, we call them a "drama mamma"... folks just begging for attention... find it at all cost...
    02-06-2014 10:21 PM
    Agree. I like iOS devices because, IME, they work EXACTLY, like intended and that means VERY WELL indeed. With Android I had to work to get the devices there ...and tweak, and tune (I'm not a fan on stock Android, its like eating dry lettuce to me). Sometimes I'm in the mood to tweak, tune, and play, but right now, this season, I'm not. I just want something that works and works well STOCK.

When did you last use android? Because it's actually improved leaps and bounds in just the last year or so.
    mumfoau likes this.
    02-07-2014 01:48 AM
107 12345