What topic is there to contribute to here? All I see is a person who regularly complains or "waffles" (as it was put earlier) about Apple products...in fact, if we go back through your history of posts, I'd be willing to say MOST of your posts are of this nature. Want a contribution to this specific discussion? Here you go...I find your comments ridiculous and the idea of being "locked in" to the iPhone is hilarious and greatly misinformed.

And I don't think anyone in any post said you should blindly follow any device or product or ANYTHING in life for that matter. That was your ridiculous deduction because you don't want to admit what your agenda here really is. Sure you can be critical of whatever you like! I'm critical of many things here on this website...I thought the Apple TV device was a piece of junk (for my uses), but you know what's different in that? I didn't sign up on this forum to simply point out faults and share critical opinion...something which defines a forum troll.

If you consider anything less than what you've displayed on this forum "Fanboy Dillusion" (it's delusion, btw), then you obviously have a very skewed understanding of basic forum etiquette.

Don't like it my observation? Then ignore me. Simple. (see how that works both ways bud?)

For what it's worth, I felt Ravensword had a valid point, the whole point of buying into the Apple ecosystem is far more pronounced than it is for other phones which could care less what content you put on them.

You want examples, try loading your self ripped TV series episodes on your iPhone and getting them to play successfully (without a use of a third party application) , it is a pain in the **** and I can attest to that as a user of an iPhone for many years.

I think he has a valid point, and that was a tad too harsh.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Speedygi; 01-31-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    01-31-2014 07:09 PM
    This was not a response based on a singular thread...it was just a response culminating in this thread reflective if his entire tone here since coming to iMore.

As far as playing a self ripped TV series...why wouldn't I want to use the ease of a third party app? Why would I want to make it hard on myself when Apple's own app store makes the function easy?

Ravensword has made his entire existence here one big criticism, all things considered. I find it silly honestly.
    01-31-2014 07:36 PM
    For what it's worth, I felt Ravensword had a valid point, the whole point of buying into the Apple ecosystem is far more pronounced than it is for other phones which could care less what content you put on them.

You want examples, try loading your self ripped TV series episodes on your iPhone and getting them to play successfully (without a use of a third party application) , it is a pain in the **** and I can attest to that as a user of an iPhone for many years.

I think he has a valid point, and that was a tad too harsh.

When you mention third party application do you mean the application to rip or an application to play?

I rip using handbrake and that's it. I drop them into iTunes and sync.
    01-31-2014 07:48 PM
    When you mention third party application do you mean the application to rip or an application to play?

I rip using handbrake and that's it. I drop them into iTunes and sync.
    That's right. Ha.

01-31-2014 07:49 PM
    Handbrake is A third party application.

Yes but you have to have something like Handbrake to convert them whether you wanted them on an iPhone or other smartphone. As far as I know, android, windows phone, and bb10 don't play DVDs.
    01-31-2014 07:51 PM
    Handbrake is A third party application.

Yea I know. So how is it done with Android? Drag and drop from a DVD?
    01-31-2014 07:52 PM
    Well, okay, iEd was right...

For an Android device you also need an app like Handbrake to rip the video from the discs, but my point (and probably not explained really well) was that for the video files to load and playback properly on the iPhone you need to rip the files to fit the iPhone format (dimensions) whereas you could just place video files of all types and sizes on Android and they would work right off the bat.

But that was based off past knowledge, has that changed any?

01-31-2014 07:56 PM

For an Android device you also need an app like Handbrake to rip the video from the discs, but my point (and probably not explained really well) was that for the video files to load and playback properly on the iPhone you need to rip the files to fit the iPhone format (dimensions) whereas you could just place video files of all types and sizes on Android and they would work right off the bat.

I rip directly to h.264 and drop into iTunes. Quick and easy. An iPhone won't directly play mkv or other formats but if I'm going to rip DVDs I might as well do it in the required format. I don't have to take an extra step or anything.
    01-31-2014 07:59 PM
    Granted, this really shows nothing about lock in for the iPhone, just a rudimentary requirement that Android doesn't have baked in there.

As for videos/music/books/whatever downloaded from any platform's video/app/book/music store, I think DRM exists in every single one of those stores, so in fact, every platform has 'lock in'....

So there you go...
    01-31-2014 08:05 PM

Whenever I rip using handbrake. I've never set it for iPhone or iPad format. Just mp4. It plays fine on my iPhone.
    01-31-2014 08:05 PM
    Whenever I rip using handbrake. I've never set it for iPhone or iPad format. Just mp4. It plays fine on my iPhone.
    Same here.
    01-31-2014 08:08 PM
    Same here.
    Okay, that means MP4 works off the bat for iPhone, and no fixed requirements needed. It's better than I remembered. Good to know.
    01-31-2014 08:11 PM
    What topic is there to contribute to here? All I see is a person who regularly complains or "waffles" (as it was put earlier) about Apple products...in fact, if we go back through your history of posts, I'd be willing to say MOST of your posts are of this nature. Want a contribution to this specific discussion? Here you go...I find your comments ridiculous and the idea of being "locked in" to the iPhone is hilarious and greatly misinformed.

And I don't think anyone in any post said you should blindly follow any device or product or ANYTHING in life for that matter. That was your ridiculous deduction because you don't want to admit what your agenda here really is. Sure you can be critical of whatever you like! I'm critical of many things here on this website...I thought the Apple TV device was a piece of junk (for my uses), but you know what's different in that? I didn't sign up on this forum to simply point out faults and share critical opinion...something which defines a forum troll.

If you consider anything less than what you've displayed on this forum "Fanboy Dillusion" (it's delusion, btw), then you obviously have a very skewed understanding of basic forum etiquette.

Don't like it my observation? Then ignore me. Simple. (see how that works both ways bud?)
    I think you are reading far to much into my posts, homie. Frankly, I don't care. I just want you and Faust to stop trolling my threads.
    02-01-2014 06:19 AM
    I think you are reading far to much into my posts, homie. Frankly, I don't care. I just want you and Faust to stop trolling my threads.
    There's an easy way to make this happen...stop creating threads (and really, posting in general).
    02-01-2014 12:45 PM
    There's an easy way to make this happen...stop creating threads (and really, posting in general).
    Or you should grow up and quit being a pest. I can post whatever the hell I want, and frankly I wonder who in the hell you think you are ?

I'm amazed you haven't been moded yet. Heck, maybe you have.

But your just a troll, and this conversation is over.
    02-02-2014 07:24 AM
    Oh, and reported.
    02-02-2014 07:25 AM
    Trolling? Really? There's a fix for that. IGNORE us. You'll never see our posts again. Unless you change sides/opinion on that subject, too.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.
    Les74 likes this.
    02-02-2014 09:39 AM
    Trolling? Really? There's a fix for that. IGNORE us. You'll never see our posts again. Unless you change sides/opinion on that subject, too.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.
    L
    O
    L

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app
    02-02-2014 09:45 AM
    I've mentioned this before. Are there moderators at iMore? The tone this thread has taken would never be allowed at Android Central. I won't say whether or not that is good or bad, just an observation.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE
    Last edited by iRiidium; 02-02-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    02-02-2014 09:49 AM
    02-02-2014 11:21 AM
    Let's clean up this discussion and move on. Please... Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-02-2014 12:21 PM
    Anything you guy from iTunes like videos or music are saved into your computer hard drive so you can put it anywhere

02-02-2014 01:05 PM
    Let's clean up this discussion and move on. Please... Thank you.

Yes, please
    02-02-2014 06:34 PM
    Anything you guy from iTunes like videos or music are saved into your computer hard drive so you can put it anywhere

Not true. They have drm meaning you can only use them on a ios device or your computer .
    02-02-2014 06:38 PM
    Not true. They have drm meaning you can only use them on a ios device or your computer .
    Again, not true. If you want to put in the effort, there is a way around every bit of DRM... perhaps not legally (thanks to the DMCA), but possible.
    02-02-2014 08:24 PM
107 1234 ...