Which do you guys own? I'm leaning more towards the roku because it has a amazon app and because it has more channels I might use, but is their advantages to the Apple TV because I also own a iPhone and iPad? I don't own a ton of iTunes video, and the ones I do I don't really want to watch anymore. As far as streaming my itunes music through it, I honestly use spotify more anyways , and roku has a spotify app I'm pretty sure. Also has pandora.

Are there some other advantages? Honestly, roku might be my only choice because if I do buy video content, I might want to try and get it through amazon due to more accessibility on other platforms.
    12-28-2013 10:09 AM
    In your situation, I'd go with the Roku.
    12-28-2013 10:14 AM
    I have to agree. Go with the roku.
    12-28-2013 10:26 AM
    In your situation, I'd go with the Roku.
    Is it a good buy even if I own apple products? Or is it mostly for people who bought video content on iTunes? Considering my waning back and forth with iPhone and android, maybe roku is the best option.
    12-28-2013 10:29 AM
    I have never owned a Roku, but on Apple TV, I use airplay a lot. I also have gotten into the habit of making videos on iMovie and watching them through Apple TV. I don't know if there is a way to do this on the Roku, but I certainly appreciate having these features on the Apple TV.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.
    12-28-2013 10:38 AM
    This might sound like overreaction, but if I get the roku does it make sense to still use my iPhone and ipad? Or should I start looking at android?
    12-28-2013 10:48 AM
    This might sound like overreaction, but if I get the roku does it make sense to still use my iPhone and ipad? Or should I start looking at android?
    It does sound like an overreaction especially when considering that both the Roku and the Apple TV are very similar devices. Do you not like your iPhone and iPad?

12-28-2013 10:56 AM
    It does sound like an overreaction especially when considering that both the Roku and the Apple TV are very similar devices. Do you not like your iPhone and iPad?

I do, but I fear I'm going to be in a ecosystem lock down if I continue to use them. Like, it'll be impossible to switch away one day if I decide to. So I thought maybe it best to slowly cut ties to apple. Plus there's things on android I like better. But due to financial reasons I can't really go out and buy a android phone like a nexus 5, so I'm going to have to use the iPhone for a bit more. It's not a bad device at all, I'm just not sure I want to continue being in the apple ecosystem.
    12-28-2013 11:10 AM
    I do, but I fear I'm going to be in a ecosystem lock down if I continue to use them. Like, it'll be impossible to switch away one day if I decide to. So I thought maybe it best to slowly cut ties to apple. Plus there's things on android I like better. But due to financial reasons I can't really go out and buy a android phone like a nexus 5, so I'm going to have to use the iPhone for a bit more. It's not a bad device at all, I'm just not sure I want to continue being in the apple ecosystem.
    Then in that case, you may want to switch. Either way though, if you stay in an ecosystem long enough, you start to feel trapped in it.

12-28-2013 11:12 AM
    Then in that case, you may want to switch. Either way though, if you stay in an ecosystem long enough, you start to feel trapped in it.

It's just, what happens if apple starts to not give me what I want? If I'm tied into the ecosystem heavily, I just have to grit my teeth and take it. At least google seems a lot more open to changing their mind and trying new things, you know?

But I'm not exactly unhappy with apple or ios now, it's just fear for the future and what could be.
    12-28-2013 11:21 AM
    I have very little purchased iTunes video content and still find the Apple TV very useful.

Since you have an iPad already, the Amazon Instant app allows you to Airplay to the Apple TV (although I guess from your comments that Roku has an Amazon app anyway). But I'm just pointing out that having an Apple TV doesn't lock you into only having iTunes video content. I also use my Apple TV to access a bunch of DVDs that I ripped and put onto my Mac running iTunes and Home Sharing.
    12-28-2013 11:27 AM
    Get the one that serves your needs.
    If you're not into the Apple ecosystem go with the Roku.
    I was looking at a Roku before I got a Apple TV. I went with Apple TV because I have a ton of content in iTunes. My ripped movie collection TV shows and Movies purchased on iTunes and music. Apple TV is not dependent on a iPhone or iPad. Having a iOS device can enhance the experience of Apple TV.
    12-28-2013 11:49 AM
    I personally found Western Digital's TV Live + to be better than the Roku.
    12-28-2013 12:02 PM

Yawn. We’ve been here before...

http://forums.imore.com/general-appl...ml#post2125928
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-28-2013 01:21 PM
    I own both but I prefer my Roku's over the Apple TV.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    12-28-2013 01:59 PM
    Sigh. What does that have to do with a video streamer may I ask?

12-28-2013 02:00 PM
    Sigh. What does that have to do with a video streamer may I ask?

We'll, the iOS devices work seamlessly with the Apple TV, so I wasn't sure if it be a no brainier to go with the appletv or if I'd get the full use out of the roku.
    12-28-2013 03:36 PM
    Just checking out Roku's web site. They have a lot of content. It's not a bad idea to have both. But that's depending on what Apple has cooking for Apple TV in the future.

It's not unlike Apple to put out a device that changes the game.
    12-28-2013 03:58 PM
    I have both. I use the Roku to watch Amazon Prime. There's a channel for the Roku that let's you stream pics and vids from your iOS device.
    12-28-2013 05:21 PM
    We'll, the iOS devices work seamlessly with the Apple TV, so I wasn't sure if it be a no brainier to go with the appletv or if I'd get the full use out of the roku.
    But given you already know the answer to this question...I question why you need to ask it here, outside of the idea that it would lend itself to a platform to discuss Android based devices further.
    Fausty82 and EmceeGeek like this.
    12-28-2013 08:20 PM
    But given you already know the answer to this question...I question why you need to ask it here, outside of the idea that it would lend itself to a platform to discuss Android based devices further.
    Nah, not really to discuss android platforms further. Merely trying to avoid future headaches.
    12-28-2013 09:07 PM
    12-28-2013 09:09 PM
    I've kind of in the same boat myself, except in my case I just know that the second I buy an Apple TV, the much rumored/long awaited new version will be announced. Although maybe at $100, it won't be that big of a deal to replace it halfway through the year. I've been wanting to replace our little home theater PC with a solution that we can stream items from our iPads from. However, someone mentioned that a Roku app is able to stream your iPad videos and photos? I might need to look into that more.
    12-29-2013 02:50 PM
    So I went ahead and got the Apple TV. I really wanted to check air play out. It seems pretty rad do far. Now I just hope they don't release a new one in a few months ;/

I hope they keep adding channels at a quicker pace than they have been.
    12-29-2013 09:55 PM
    Roku all the way! And with the Roku you can get an app called Plex, or (if you are willing to pay PlayON) to access your itunes stuff. And I just looked they added something else called Media Browser which might be able to do it also.
    12-29-2013 10:01 PM
55 123