Apple TV or Roku 3?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Depends on your ecosystem. if you have lots of apple products, apple tv would be a better choice.

Well, I have a iPad and iPhone. Not sure if that's "a lot"

I don't own a lot of iTunes video , though. Or at least ones I would still watch. I'm deciding still If I want to buy video content on iTunes or Amazon instant.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple TV : - simply the best with more clear result , performance is too nice

I didn't find it to be useful at all for streaming and playback purposes though...the Roku at least offers some variety of file type support (Western Digital TV Live is extensively more useful in this way with support for 99.99999% of all file types)...the Apple TV's option for this was AirPlay support for video streaming from devices, and this works well if the file is loaded into iTunes, but if you try to stream playback from VLC or the like, it has choppy, laggy and granulation issues...even on 1080p files.

RavenSword...the point people are trying to make is that discussing these things with you is really pointless because you have a very short fuse when it comes to actual use of a device, and before anyone can answer a question for you, or give you advice on usage options, you've switched to a different device...and then again to another device...and then back. To be fair, I didn't find the Apple TV useful for me at all...it didn't perform like I thought it should and the things I asked of it were not up to snuff for what I needed. That said, I kept it for a week and seriously put some usage time into it to make sure of that.

Reading your posts seems like you buy something, plug it in and don't like the way it loads a menu so you pack it up and go buy something completely different. Not to say this isn't your right as a consumer, if that is what works for you, by all means knock yourself out...to be honest though, it just seems like you haven't bought any of these devices in reality, and you're just window shopping and randomly posting about it here. Just my observation though...if I'm wrong, I'm wrong...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I didn't find it to be useful at all for streaming and playback purposes though...the Roku at least offers some variety of file type support (Western Digital TV Live is extensively more useful in this way with support for 99.99999% of all file types)...the Apple TV's option for this was AirPlay support for video streaming from devices, and this works well if the file is loaded into iTunes, but if you try to stream playback from VLC or the like, it has choppy, laggy and granulation issues...even on 1080p files.

RavenSword...the point people are trying to make is that discussing these things with you is really pointless because you have a very short fuse when it comes to actual use of a device, and before anyone can answer a question for you, or give you advice on usage options, you've switched to a different device...and then again to another device...and then back. To be fair, I didn't find the Apple TV useful for me at all...it didn't perform like I thought it should and the things I asked of it were not up to snuff for what I needed. That said, I kept it for a week and seriously put some usage time into it to make sure of that.

Reading your posts seems like you buy something, plug it in and don't like the way it loads a menu so you pack it up and go buy something completely different. Not to say this isn't your right as a consumer, if that is what works for you, by all means knock yourself out...to be honest though, it just seems like you haven't bought any of these devices in reality, and you're just window shopping and randomly posting about it here. Just my observation though...if I'm wrong, I'm wrong...

Yeah, I see your point. I think it's mostly that I want to make absolutely sure that I have the best thing or the thing that I think performs the best or best suits my needs.

And I admit when I buy something or think about buying something, I read up on what others think. And if enough people prefer own thing over the other, that sways my decision.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I just want a streamer that works. There's a ton of channels on roku I know I'll never use, and I didn't like the stream quality on net flicks. It seemed like Apple TV had a better quality stream.

So , I'm going to go to vest but today and exchange it for the Apple TV again. I think I'll be happier with that choice. And if I come back on here and lament the purchase, please slap me :p

dcharleyultra

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I just want a streamer that works. There's a ton of channels on roku I know I'll never use, and I didn't like the stream quality on net flicks. It seemed like Apple TV had a better quality stream.

So , I'm going to go to vest but today and exchange it for the Apple TV again. I think I'll be happier with that choice. And if I come back on here and lament the purchase, please slap me :p

Many say that Best Buy monitors exchanges/returns. Just sayin'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
As far as streaming quality I can't compare ATV to anything else. Apple TV is all I've ever had.
When I first got it back in April and streamed HBO GO from my 4S I was amazed with the quality. So much I forgot I was streaming. So it wasn't necessary to look at any other streamers.
All of the other content that Roku offers is cool but I don't have time to watch the content on Netflix as much as I would like to.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I see your point. I think it's mostly that I want to make absolutely sure that I have the best thing or the thing that I think performs the best or best suits my needs.

And I admit when I buy something or think about buying something, I read up on what others think. And if enough people prefer own thing over the other, that sways my decision.

I completely understand...but truly you must understand that what other people say about stuff may not lend you to the right answer in this. Your "sway" may be a misinformed one...for instance, I prefer the Western Digital TV Live, but mainly because I don't need it to communicate with my iPhone or Macbook Pro at all for anything, I just need it to be able to run every file type I throw at it from my network storage, and also, to have the ability to run Netflix and other common apps you find on any of these devices.

Me telling you to get one would be useless to you if you preferred something with AirPlay support (or something relevant to it) because it has none.

Most of these devices have a generous enough return policy that you REALLY need to put some investment (time) into them to make sure they work across the spectrum of your needs. You simply can't do that with a day or two's worth of usage, you've barely cracked the surface at that point, and you'd really REALLY be doing yourself a disservice by exchanging it when you may find that the original device does just what you want.

I guess all I'm saying is this...slow down bit...if you're actually buying this stuff, USE it...don't just dab it on your tongue and pack it back up, actually get the full flavor to see if it works or not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh