Apple TV or Roku 3?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Which do you guys own? I'm leaning more towards the roku because it has a amazon app and because it has more channels I might use, but is their advantages to the Apple TV because I also own a iPhone and iPad? I don't own a ton of iTunes video, and the ones I do I don't really want to watch anymore. As far as streaming my itunes music through it, I honestly use spotify more anyways , and roku has a spotify app I'm pretty sure. Also has pandora.

Are there some other advantages? Honestly, roku might be my only choice because if I do buy video content, I might want to try and get it through amazon due to more accessibility on other platforms.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have never owned a Roku, but on Apple TV, I use airplay a lot. I also have gotten into the habit of making videos on iMovie and watching them through Apple TV. I don't know if there is a way to do this on the Roku, but I certainly appreciate having these features on the Apple TV.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This might sound like overreaction, but if I get the roku does it make sense to still use my iPhone and ipad? Or should I start looking at android?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
This might sound like overreaction, but if I get the roku does it make sense to still use my iPhone and ipad? Or should I start looking at android?

It does sound like an overreaction especially when considering that both the Roku and the Apple TV are very similar devices. Do you not like your iPhone and iPad?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It does sound like an overreaction especially when considering that both the Roku and the Apple TV are very similar devices. Do you not like your iPhone and iPad?

I do, but I fear I'm going to be in a ecosystem lock down if I continue to use them. Like, it'll be impossible to switch away one day if I decide to. So I thought maybe it best to slowly cut ties to apple. Plus there's things on android I like better. But due to financial reasons I can't really go out and buy a android phone like a nexus 5, so I'm going to have to use the iPhone for a bit more. It's not a bad device at all, I'm just not sure I want to continue being in the apple ecosystem.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I do, but I fear I'm going to be in a ecosystem lock down if I continue to use them. Like, it'll be impossible to switch away one day if I decide to. So I thought maybe it best to slowly cut ties to apple. Plus there's things on android I like better. But due to financial reasons I can't really go out and buy a android phone like a nexus 5, so I'm going to have to use the iPhone for a bit more. It's not a bad device at all, I'm just not sure I want to continue being in the apple ecosystem.

Then in that case, you may want to switch. Either way though, if you stay in an ecosystem long enough, you start to feel trapped in it.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Then in that case, you may want to switch. Either way though, if you stay in an ecosystem long enough, you start to feel trapped in it.

It's just, what happens if apple starts to not give me what I want? If I'm tied into the ecosystem heavily, I just have to grit my teeth and take it. At least google seems a lot more open to changing their mind and trying new things, you know?

But I'm not exactly unhappy with apple or ios now, it's just fear for the future and what could be.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Get the one that serves your needs.
If you're not into the Apple ecosystem go with the Roku.
I was looking at a Roku before I got a Apple TV. I went with Apple TV because I have a ton of content in iTunes. My ripped movie collection TV shows and Movies purchased on iTunes and music. Apple TV is not dependent on a iPhone or iPad. Having a iOS device can enhance the experience of Apple TV.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Sigh. What does that have to do with a video streamer may I ask?

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

We'll, the iOS devices work seamlessly with the Apple TV, so I wasn't sure if it be a no brainier to go with the appletv or if I'd get the full use out of the roku.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just checking out Roku's web site. They have a lot of content. It's not a bad idea to have both. But that's depending on what Apple has cooking for Apple TV in the future.

It's not unlike Apple to put out a device that changes the game.

qtrim

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have both. I use the Roku to watch Amazon Prime. There's a channel for the Roku that let's you stream pics and vids from your iOS device.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We'll, the iOS devices work seamlessly with the Apple TV, so I wasn't sure if it be a no brainier to go with the appletv or if I'd get the full use out of the roku.

But given you already know the answer to this question...I question why you need to ask it here, outside of the idea that it would lend itself to a platform to discuss Android based devices further.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
But given you already know the answer to this question...I question why you need to ask it here, outside of the idea that it would lend itself to a platform to discuss Android based devices further.

Nah, not really to discuss android platforms further. Merely trying to avoid future headaches.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice