This article may be the signal people have been waiting for to indicate a bigger iPhone is coming...

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Back to the main point of the thread: if they can make the screen larger but keep the same physical dimensions of the phone itself, then I'm on board. If they have to make it wider and harder to confidently hold and operate with one hand, then I have no interest in it. Even my old 4.3" Galaxy SII was noticeably more difficult to operate one-handed than the iPhone.

By the way, spare me the "hurr durr, you must have tiny hands!" comments. It makes you look like a moron.

I have an uncle with either a GS3 or 4 (I forget), and I must admit that the screen is nice to look at because of its size. However the larger physical size is annoying to deal when I have to use it as a phone (or anything that requires one handed operation) day in and day out.

If they can make a larger screen option that keeps the same width, I'm all for it. Heck, if they offer an additional option of an even larger version for the all-in-one phablet crowd, all the better. I have an iPad if I need a larger screen, so portability and one-handed use are more important to me. If given two options next year, I'll probably actually go with the smaller version for the reasons above.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
And secondly I feel Apple should focus on making faster phones instead of bothering with making the phones bigger. Very soon they may lag behind Android too much in terms of speed to be competitive...

Where are you getting this from? Pretty sure the 5S has been shown to be *objectively* faster than anything else on the market in both real world usage and benchmark tests. Where have you read that Apple is falling behind in performance, as every publication I've read says the exact opposite?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Where are you getting this from? Pretty sure the 5S has been shown to be *objectively* faster than anything else on the market in both real world usage and benchmark tests. Where have you read that Apple is falling behind in performance, as every publication I've read says the exact opposite?

He's reading into RAM numbers...assuming that a device that offers 2+GB of RAM vs. Apple's 1GB is a better phone because of it...which is simply not true.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
He's reading into RAM numbers...assuming that a device that offers 2+GB of RAM vs. Apple's 1GB is a better phone because of it...which is simply not true.

That has to be it, I can't think of any other reason to think that. What he's probably not considering is that the 5S runs faster (not subjectively, but in actuality) with 1GB of RAM than any Android phone with 2GB of ram because of the efficiency of the OS. Look up Android programming garbage collection issues on Google for an idea as to how more RAM does not automatically mean it's faster. Android NEEDS that extra RAM to run decently due to how it's designed, and it's still slower than the 5S. I know that Android 4.4 has been optimized to require less RAM to run decently (maybe they fixed the garbage collection issues?), but I still haven't seen any actual tests outside of "it has twice the RAM, so it's better!" that show that anything currently in existence in the smartphone market is ACTUALLY faster than the 5S.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, numbers on paper are more important than real world performance to some people...

There's a reason why specifications drive the experience, they are the exact same hardware that does the work underneath. To separate the two is to ignore that fact...

I won't say I don't think the experience on iOS on a 5S is lackluster. Fact is the apps are very smooth and the operating system is really smooth too. All of them that are optimized for the processor, but I'm thinking that if I am hamstrung by limitations of an OS like no true multitasking and a clunky notification system, added with certain restrictions laid down by Apple in not allowing certain apps that could increase the mobile computing experience like bittorrent, or a file system manager, all this power only serves to be only useless because of the limitations.

Android, however, does more with the OS with better specs. The optimizations are actually incremental in real world ways unbridled by software limitations.

Last edited:

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
There's a reason why specifications drive the experience, they are the exact same hardware that does the work underneath. To separate the two is to ignore that fact...

I won't say I don't think the experience on iOS on a 5S is lackluster. Fact is the apps are very smooth and the operating system is really smooth too. All of them that are optimized for the processor, but I'm thinking that if I am hamstrung by limitations of an OS like no true multitasking and a clunky notification system, added with certain restrictions laid down by Apple in not allowing certain apps that could increase the mobile computing experience like bittorrent, or a file system manager, all this power only serves to be only useless because of the limitations.

Android, however, does more with the OS with better specs. The optimizations are actually incremental in real world ways unbridled by software limitations.

Now you sound like you're reading from the same overused script that's parroted on every Android fan forum. That's not what this thread or your and Sean's points were even about, and you're going on tangents now to try to salvage your point.

You stated that Apple is falling behind in speed compared to Android handsets. I countered that every benchmark and real world test objectively (with no room for ambiguitity) showed that the 5S is leagues ahead in performance compared to anything else out there. What that has to do with "well, Apple locks down their OS and you can't do as much with it as the more customizable Android!", I have no idea. Sounds like a cop out for an inefficient OS (which it is).

Spare me the "you can do more with Android" line. I was neck deep in their ecosystem and a huge fan of it for several years. I'm just as aware as what you can and cannot do with it as you are. And I'm just as productive using Apple's 'restricted' OS as I was being able to put a bunch of widget toggles on my Android home screen in order to try to conserve battery life on it's inefficient OS. Funny how I don't have to do that now.

Last edited:

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm suddenly inspired to expound on this point more...

If you'd have to hazard a guess, how many people do you think shop for mobile devices on the basis of whether or not they can run bittorrent (for pirating movies, admit it) or file managers, have apps they're not using running in the background while unnecessarily eating their battery, and having to reply to a message so quickly and at that very instant that they can't wait to look at it until after they're done using their app as the basis of their purchase? How many of those people place features like that over a superior user experience, long lasting support, or an OS that just flat works better, and will be updated for at least a few years?

Outside of die hards on tech forums, I cannot think of a single person who actually thinks those things are remotely important. For the .01% of those who do have these niche requirements, well I guess you'll be happier with Android.

I will confess that having a local file storage app (don't need a full system file manager) would be nice and I miss it somewhat, however not at the expense of an overall degraded user experience in day to day usage (which I refer to as 'death by a thousand cuts', it's why I'm a FORMER Android fan). And I consider myself a power user, can't think of many people in the mass market who care about that either. And even when I was on Android 4.2 (through using CyanogenMod 10.1, since my phone never got timely updates), I might have used the ability to reply to a text within the notification app once. It's a nice perk, but again, not at the expense of everything you have to give up in the process.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Firstly why is the Galaxy S4 too big for your liking? And secondly I feel Apple should focus on making faster phones instead of bothering with making the phones bigger. Very soon they may lag behind Android too much in terms of speed to be competitive...

I'm not saying that size isn't important, I really do feel that is a secondary concern right now. More RAM, a better mobile computing-centric focus and a faster processor. Apple has done well to introduce 64bit but they need to step up a little greater than that.

The 5s is practically the fastest phone on the market, (talking about benchmarks) running on the most optimized platform, I truly Dont understand what you are taking about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Obviously there is no details here about a new iPhone, so any of you wanting "proof" will just have to understand that my comment is really just theoretical based on what I'm reading and deducing from this article and quotes from Tim Cook.

Tim Cook Talks Big; Apple May Launch 12.9-inch iPad in 2014 as Part of Company's Big Plan : Tech : Latin Post

...it would seem that this "BIG" representation will be reflective of larger devices from Apple in 2014, and if they're going to increase the size of the iPad (perhaps even venturing into the tablet/notebook hybrid market with such), I would say that is the best evidence we've been offered over the years that the iPhone will also be seeing a size increase this coming year.

Is it something I want? Personally, as long as it's smaller than the Galaxy S 4, I'm fine with that. To me, I think the market is now officially moving to a more commanding demand of a larger screen, and with the new features we'll see with the iPhone, I think they're going to have to just accept that the chassis is going to have to grow a bit (though knowing Apple, they'll figure out a way to factor in a larger iPhone design without adding weight or width to it).

For those of you clamoring for a bigger iPhone screen, this might be the best news yet for you, and to me, the most promising bit of literature from Apple that would indicate a movement towards such.

Many of the apple lovers will cry no to a larger screen until apple unveils it for the next iPhone and then they will be amazed at how they went so long with a smaller screened device. People want larger screened devices and apple does not want to let the craze go on to long without hopping on board. I know there are people who won't get an iPhone because of the smaller screen size and this could be the way apple gains some of those customers back over.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I know my wife is one who won't use a iphone because she likes having a bigger phone, I think she might try one if or when a bigger iphone is released.

I myself will probably be satisfied completely when a bigger iphone is released. It is the only thing that makes me not 100% happy with an iPhone.

Don't get me wrong I still love stock android but I prefer the way I have my apps setup on iOS.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Many of the apple lovers will cry no to a larger screen until apple unveils it for the next iPhone and then they will be amazed at how they went so long with a smaller screened device. People want larger screened devices and apple does not want to let the craze go on to long without hopping on board. I know there are people who won't get an iPhone because of the smaller screen size and this could be the way apple gains some of those customers back over.

I think there's an important distinction to make here:

I would love to have a larger screen.

I do NOT want a physically larger (especially wider) phone.

If Apple can increase the screen size by shrinking the bezels and keeping roughly the same width, then that would be great. I used to mock the whole argument that iPhones are sized for optimal one-handed operation until I got one and found out myself. I used to have a 4.3" Galaxy SII that was substantially more unwieldy to operate one handed than my iPhone, especially when making sure you have a confident grip when talking on the phone. Going from a wider device back to an iPhone, one can definitely tell the difference.

Of course, if they also make a phablet sized device in addition to the 'classic' sized model for those who love phablets, then all the better.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The 5s is practically the fastest phone on the market, (talking about benchmarks) running on the most optimized platform, I truly Dont understand what you are taking about.

What are these benchmarks I keep hearing about?

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
What are these benchmarks I keep hearing about?

Check Anandtech's website and stop playing the fool. I am sure you know very well that the iPhone 5s is very strong performer. True the processor is more geared to their plans for the future and its the beginning of a transition, but it performs exceptionally well.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I will concede that the processor is amongst the best, but with software like iOS...I will say I would rather see a better operating system sooner than a bigger screen.

Your idea of 'better' is very different from mine.

It's already the fastest, most efficient, least lag free and most stable mobile OS in existence with the most developer support and the least headaches compared to anything else out there.

The only thing it cannot do is run on a bajillion different phones and run multiple applications in the background (all of which eat battery) at the same time. Oh, and put a bunch of widgets on your screen.

If those features are requirements that you cannot live without, then go back to androidcentral.com, because this isn't the phone for you and nothing I or anyone else says will be able to make you happy. Unless that is, this is just a veiled "Android is better because you can this this, this, this, and this that you can't do on iOS" thread, which is already quite played out. Really, we don't care.

You can either keep complaining that iOS doesn't have all of the features that you want, or go to a phone that has those features you want. I'm frankly tired of "Apple phones suck because they're so limited" arguments. I really don't care anymore. This phone will not make you happy if that's what you care about. Go get an Android phone with the features that you want (I recommend the Moto X or the Nexus 5). You have my blessing.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I will concede that the processor is amongst the best, but with software like iOS...I will say I would rather see a better operating system sooner than a bigger screen.
iOS has one of the best, capable and most stable frameworks of all mobile OSs. It has an arguably better framework than Android. But I see what you are trying to so and Italy be better said that Apple should open it up so that more can be done with it.

That said, where we would see the 64 bit Architecture play it's game is with what devs would do with it. This years WWDC will be very interesting.

After all, iOS is what it is mostly because what devs have been able to do. More focus on the apps than the OS.

Tapatalking from my dependable 64GB iPhone 5

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Your idea of 'better' is very different from mine.

It's already the fastest, most efficient, least lag free and most stable mobile OS in existence with the most developer support and the least headaches compared to anything else out there.

The only thing it cannot do is run on a bajillion different phones and run multiple applications in the background (all of which eat battery) at the same time. Oh, and put a bunch of widgets on your screen.

If those features are requirements that you cannot live without, then go back to androidcentral.com, because this isn't the phone for you and nothing I or anyone else says will be able to make you happy. Unless that is, this is just a veiled "Android is better because you can this this, this, this, and this that you can't do on iOS" thread, which is already quite played out. Really, we don't care.

You can either keep complaining that iOS doesn't have all of the features that you want, or go to a phone that has those features you want. I'm frankly tired of "Apple phones suck because they're so limited" arguments. I really don't care anymore. This phone will not make you happy if that's what you care about. Go get an Android phone with the features that you want (I recommend the Moto X or the Nexus 5). You have my blessing.

Just name off the number of things an iPhone can do out of the box and then compare it to a Nexus 5...and consider the price to feature ratio of the iPhone compared to the top Android phones, and then tell me it it's not limited?

If an iPhone is efficient and lag free to you, then great. It is, however, not the best phone out there regardless of how much the horse has been beaten. It runs the best on benchmarks, fine, have your benchmarks..guess what, optimized software runs better on the hardware it is optimized for.

However, I have a S4 and to me it's just far more intuitive in terms of multitasking and more powerful in terms of the things I can do on it. The framework to me is more elaborate and it has far better Google Apps available to it than on iOS. I can sideload apps on it if I need to do something I want on it that I couldn't do before. I don't see an imitation that would put me off the platform as long as I can keep using it.

It has far more plentiful third party app integration in the OS and just in the app development apis alone. It is just architected like a desktop computer, I don't get that sense on an iPhone.

Last edited:

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It has gone to a point where my S4 or a G2 is smooth enough that a performance difference is almost negligible. If there is an insistence to keep touting those iPhone 5s benchmarks to prove a platform's dominance, I can only say that it's really a meaningless argument at this point?
If there is a need to keep pressing on the argument when I have already stated my points, I can only say just use whatever phone you like. That's all that really matters.

(I use an IPad Mini, but please don't ask me to worship the makers of the beloved iPhone, I'm not ready for that level of commitment).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited: