This article may be the signal people have been waiting for to indicate a bigger iPhone is coming...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Obviously there is no details here about a new iPhone, so any of you wanting "proof" will just have to understand that my comment is really just theoretical based on what I'm reading and deducing from this article and quotes from Tim Cook.

Tim Cook Talks Big; Apple May Launch 12.9-inch iPad in 2014 as Part of Company's Big Plan : Tech : Latin Post

...it would seem that this "BIG" representation will be reflective of larger devices from Apple in 2014, and if they're going to increase the size of the iPad (perhaps even venturing into the tablet/notebook hybrid market with such), I would say that is the best evidence we've been offered over the years that the iPhone will also be seeing a size increase this coming year.

Is it something I want? Personally, as long as it's smaller than the Galaxy S 4, I'm fine with that. To me, I think the market is now officially moving to a more commanding demand of a larger screen, and with the new features we'll see with the iPhone, I think they're going to have to just accept that the chassis is going to have to grow a bit (though knowing Apple, they'll figure out a way to factor in a larger iPhone design without adding weight or width to it).

For those of you clamoring for a bigger iPhone screen, this might be the best news yet for you, and to me, the most promising bit of literature from Apple that would indicate a movement towards such.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Firstly why is the Galaxy S4 too big for your liking? And secondly I feel Apple should focus on making faster phones instead of bothering with making the phones bigger. Very soon they may lag behind Android too much in terms of speed to be competitive...

I'm not saying that size isn't important, I really do feel that is a secondary concern right now. More RAM, a better mobile computing-centric focus and a faster processor. Apple has done well to introduce 64bit but they need to step up a little greater than that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Firstly why is the Galaxy S4 too big for your liking? And secondly I feel Apple should focus on making faster phones instead of bothering with making the phones bigger. Very soon they may lag behind Android too much to Be competitive...

Is a 64 bit processor too slow for you? Is a 64 bit processor with a dedicated motion processor too slow for you?

Synchronistically transposed

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If Apple just put full blown phones into the iPad line-up, then the "iPhone isn't big enough" crowd would have to find something else to whine about... :p

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Firstly why is the Galaxy S4 too big for your liking? And secondly I feel Apple should focus on making faster phones instead of bothering with making the phones bigger. Very soon they may lag behind Android too much in terms of speed to be competitive...

I'm not saying that size isn't important, I really do feel that is a secondary concern right now. More RAM, a better mobile computing-centric focus and a faster processor. Apple has done well to introduce 64bit but they need to step up a little greater than that.

It's too big for me because I said it was...there's nothing else to it, I think it's too big, lol.

The iPhone 5S has the top market rated chip set of any other device out there, so good in fact that other companies are sweating to try and develop a comparable chip set for their upcoming devices...

Qualcomm Employee: 64-Bit A7 Chip 'Hit Us In The Gut' - Mac Rumors

...then we talk RAM? If the set is running the system with the existing RAM numbers optimally, why do you need significant RAM increases? For paper spec comparisons? Who cares about that crap when the stuff works perfectly in the real world, especially enough to garner the attention of other system developers. You said "very soon they may lag behind Android too much" to be competitive...but that hasn't happened at all, in fact, I'd venture to say that many loyal Android users would jump ship simply on an increased iPhone screen size and no internal enhancements.

And the real beauty? Apple WILL bring something faster with more horsepower to the table, regardless of what the design turns out to be, so performance enhancements are almost an assured thing these days.

smelton3

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
If I could just get something that is between the size of an iPad Mini and iPhone I would be satisfied. For me a "phablet" is just what I need. I use my iPhone when my iPad is not near or practical. I use my iPad as my go to device for media consumption, email, and basic surfing.
I use my iPhone pretty much as a phone most of the time because the screen is too small. Before the iPad it was all I knew. Post iPad I know better and can do better.

Sent from my Golden 64 GB iPhone 5s.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's too big for me because I said it was...there's nothing else to it, I think it's too big, lol.

The iPhone 5S has the top market rated chip set of any other device out there, so good in fact that other companies are sweating to try and develop a comparable chip set for their upcoming devices...

Qualcomm Employee: 64-Bit A7 Chip 'Hit Us In The Gut' - Mac Rumors

...then we talk RAM? If the set is running the system with the existing RAM numbers optimally, why do you need significant RAM increases? For paper spec comparisons? Who cares about that crap when the stuff works perfectly in the real world, especially enough to garner the attention of other system developers. You said "very soon they may lag behind Android too much" to be competitive...but that hasn't happened at all, in fact, I'd venture to say that many loyal Android users would jump ship simply on an increased iPhone screen size and no internal enhancements.

And the real beauty? Apple WILL bring something faster with more horsepower to the table, regardless of what the design turns out to be, so performance enhancements are almost an assured thing these days.

I must say, what you mentioned there are all subjective. I for one isn't going to believe a word Mac rumors write in that article, because frankly there is just not even enough RAM on the 5S to make the 64 bit architecture worthwhile in a practical sense yet, and secondly we don't even know the context in which the Qualcomm guy was describing about the chip that made it look impressive to him. It could be due to it being 64 bit only, which is a first in the mobile device industry arguably? There is huge chance it could just garner some respect being a full desktop architecture on a mobile phone chip.

What about the slipshot way the article was written. My Grandmother could have written a better piece that would look far more credible?

Look at the comments on that website too, full of people who are most obviously biased towards the Apple side of things, and you can even see some complaints about namely the iPad Air. There is no sense that there is any context in the entire article.

Now, I have seen Anand Lai Shimpi talk about how impressive the chip is somewhere else, and that's the best I have heard from any tech journalist, because Anand has the credibility I value. But even I'm not sure about the context he is talking about in for his comments.

And for mentioning people who would jump from Android to Apple, because of a larger screen purely. To me that could be subjective, considering the number of Android people who values other concerns, like ecosystem or features.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
If I could just get something that is between the size of an iPad Mini and iPhone I would be satisfied. For me a "phablet" is just what I need. I use my iPhone when my iPad is not near or practical. I use my iPad as my go to device for media consumption, email, and basic surfing.
I use my iPhone pretty much as a phone most of the time because the screen is too small. Before the iPad it was all I knew. Post iPad I know better and can do better.

Sent from my Golden 64 GB iPhone 5s.

Sounds like you should be using the Samsung Mega. That thing is huge.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Is a 64 bit processor too slow for you? Is a 64 bit processor with a dedicated motion processor too slow for you?

Synchronistically transposed

Isn't the processor used only for the biometrics of the 5S? 64 vs 32 bit has nothing to do with speed - unless you count the way it handles available ram more efficiently.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I must say, what you mentioned there are all subjective. I for one isn't going to believe a word Mac rumors write in that article, because frankly there is just not even enough RAM on the 5S to make the 64 bit architecture worthwhile in a practical sense yet, and secondly we don't even know the context in which the Qualcomm guy was describing about the chip that made it look impressive to him. It could be due to it being 64 bit only, which is a first in the mobile device industry arguably? There is huge chance it could just garner some respect being a full desktop architecture on a mobile phone chip.

What about the slipshot way the article was written. My Grandmother could have written a better piece that would look far more credible?

Look at the comments on that website too, full of people who are most obviously biased towards the Apple side of things, and you can even see some complaints about namely the iPad Air. There is no sense that there is any context in the entire article.

Now, I have seen Anand Lai Shimpi talk about how impressive the chip is somewhere else, and that's the best I have heard from any tech journalist, because Anand has the credibility I value. But even I'm not sure about the context he is talking about in for his comments.

And for mentioning people who would jump from Android to Apple, because of a larger screen purely. To me that could be subjective, considering the number of Android people who values other concerns, like ecosystem or features.

You don't have to agree or even accept any of this...you have that right. What I will say is this (since you're obviously skeptical, and I don't care enough about what you think about this whole thing to attempt to change your opinion)...many people, since the release of this device with the new chip set, have reflected on how surprisingly powerful and optimized it is (especially working in combination with the M7 chip), several articles (including the one I posted above) have described this new set as impressive and "surprising"...when you can surprise the technology world, you've done something kind of miraculous, because the tech world, at least in a mental state, is always about a year or two ahead of the stuff we actually have in our hands.

I mean if you don't want to put any investment in the MacRumor's article...feel free to google "Apple A7 chip" and take your pick of the hundreds of other articles out there, most of which reflect the same information. You'll learn something about me on this forum...I typically don't report on things other people have written if it's a singular source or outlet...because I personally don't believe any one person (probably comes from my career in law enforcement). Nope, I read several articles, and when I start seeing a consistency, I start investing in it myself. This information is a very widespread report, and honestly, even if I wasn't an Apple fan at all, it'd be very hard to ignore such a frequency.

To reflect your "subjective" comment...everything is subjective. EVERYTHING. Nothing you say or do skews away from being subjective in some way unless you're just pointing out obvious facts..."The sky is blue", this is obviously not subjective..."The sky is blue and it's a beautiful day!", now, it's become subjective.

Now do you have an actual argument to my initial post? Or something besides generic accusations on the link I provided above? Or are you just trying to be argumentative in this thread with no real purpose? (I'm honestly asking this)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have no intention for argument but personally I don't really know if the A7 processor is all Apple claimed it to be and certainly not the industry leader as many view it to be. Again, just an opinion. In fact, I have lots of respect for your thoughts, Sean. Always have. You are one of the most respected members in my view around these parts.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have no intention for argument but personally I don't really know if the A7 processor is all Apple claimed it to be and certainly not the industry leader as many view it to be. Again, just an opinion. In fact, I have lots of respect for your thoughts, Sean. Always have. You are one of the most respected members in my view around these parts.

Not sure if you've seen this review.
AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review
There's a few sections that go into detail about the A7 and it's advantages.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you've seen this review.
AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review
There's a few sections that go into detail about the A7 and it's advantages.

I'm sure it does, but it's akin to preaching to the choir for me... I won't go for an IPhone 5s as a daily driver as it is. I must admit the A7 is indeed impressive and the one of the most forward looking tech of the year, but telling me about it anymore than a comment is wasted effort.

To be honest, my concerns go beyond just screen size enough to put me off iOS on a phone platform. It's just an opinion.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure it does, but it's akin to preaching to the choir for me... I won't go for an IPhone 5s as a daily driver as it is. I must admit the A7 is indeed impressive and the one of the most forward looking tech of the year, but telling me about it anymore than a comment is wasted effort.

To be honest, my concerns go beyond just screen size enough to put me off iOS on a phone platform. It's just an opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but your initial argument about Apple needing to focus on the power underneath the hood was what struck me as odd, especially considering that the 5S has been reflected as one of the top performing devices on the market and the chip set being the most powerful to date. I understand a desire for numbers...people are always attracted to higher specs (IE: RAM numbers), but it kind of mirrors my thoughts on horsepower in cars...you can take a Porsche and give it 450hp and turn around and look at a Mustang with 600hp. On paper, the Mustang has WAY more power than the Porsche, but the Porsche would eat it alive in almost every way imaginable because of it's balance across the spectrum of performance.

This is exactly how I view the iPhone vs. other phones...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73