Is there a reason to use iBook over kindle?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to hear from people who use iBooks why they chose to use it instead of kindle.

Me personally, I have a kindle book reader and can't imagine ditching it for iBooks. Does iBooks give some advantage I'm not seeing? Just seems like kindle is the smarter choice considering you can access it from pretty much everywhere.

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree with this. Now that Kindle and Audible have teamed up and you can buy an eBook and have the audiobook has solidified my support/membership.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use both and I really love to read. On either, I feel there's really very minute differences in terms of software interface and both offers night mode. The range is kinda similar too too, maybe Kindle's range is a little bigger.

What really draws me to Kindle is that Kindle books are generally cheaper, and that's why I gravitate to it over iBooks, but I see both as viable choices for eBooks if I'm having the jonesing, but I'm generally a Kindle person more than anything else.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I only use ibooks to read epubs and keep some pdfs in it. For purchasing I use amazon.

As far as reading experience, either is fine. I might even give the Kindle app the edge.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't use iBooks because I don't like reading on LCDs. I have a few kindles (which is e-ink) and all of my ebooks are on amazon.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I must say this though, one bad thing (which I don't consider as a flaw) about Kindle is that books you buy can only be downloaded on a limited number of devices...which is fine but annoying for those who constantly change their devices...what's up with that? I wonder...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've read books on my iPad and iPhone via iBooks, the Nook app and the Kindle Reader app and although pleasant, I prefer using an e-ink display by far. In this regard, the Kindle Paperwhite. It's just easier on the eyes, in my opinion. I can read much longer on my Kindle than I can with my i-devices, but that's Just Me, D...:)

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I prefer to read on my iphone,
ibooks, kindle,Bluefire best.
the kindle device itself is not easy to read in low light( we have the old greyscreen version)
PS. has anybody got to the bottom of the awful Kobo operating system yet ?

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Good question! I've been playing with iBooks a bit more since I purchased an iPad to see if there was an advantage. The only one I can find so far is that iBooks is a bit prettier, but that is all. Sometimes that is a compelling reason for me to make a switch but then being locked to LCD for reading would be a huge drawback for me. I have an old Kindle that is still kicking and I enjoy it quite a bit and I'm a big fan of the syncing that happens between it and the Kindle app on my phones and iPad.

The one exception to this is in the case of comics: they look great on an iPad and when I got on my next binge it will certainly be through iBooks.

Craig Gonzalez

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Like yourself I'll usually go with getting my ebooks on the kindle app for my ipad because of the price but when it's not the much difference I'll get them on my iBook. One question I do have is do you think when a new ios update comes out that maybe they will have it where when you are reading from the iBook app that when u touch a word that the definition will pop up like it does on the kindle app?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
There's no reason you can't use both at the same time.

Kindle has more cross platform support, so if you're OS agnostic, that's probably your best bet.

I use iBooks for loading publications from outside sources, like PDF files and outside ebooks. Humble Bundle recently had a special on some ebooks that I bought and loaded up into iBooks.

As far as flexibility goes, Kindle is your best bet if you switch OS's. Selection is about the same.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2