Which iPhone did you think broke the most ground for Apple?

mikedoan

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
The very first iPhone to me was the most ground breaking...back in 2007 when smart phones were not smart and primarily phones more than anything else. It brought to the table the intuitive and user friendly touch screen, the form factor, the introduction to "apps", the remarkably improved camera functionality, true web browsing, a digital keyboard that could be customized for whatever language you preferred...etc etc etc.

I mean the first iPhone didn't invent most of these things, but it damn sure put it in the consumers hands in a way where they really learned how to use it, and change their lives based on the functionality.

Ever since, they've improved on it...sometimes slightly, sometimes ENORMOUSLY...but all the while, still improvements and not reinvention. To me, if you talk about breaking ground, you reflect the beginning, and as much improvement as has been done to each and every iPhone (and really every smart phone out there) since 2007, the genesis factor was still the very first one...which by todays standards is just an awful experience that no one would prefer, but in 2007...it was jaw dropping.

You clearly never owned anything other than a Nokia 6210 until your iphone. All the the things you mention existed, and some in better form, before iPhone was released.

mikedoan

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Having been in the mobile industry and watched as bag phones turned into brick phones which turned into pocketable phones which turned into smartphones which turned into iPhones. Also a longtime Blackberry user, it wasn't until the iPhone 4 that I felt Apple had more than just form, but enough function to warrant a change. Bought my iPhone 4 when they first came out. Still using it. I'm yet to see anything significant enough from Apple to warrant another change.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would have to say the iPhone 4 cause of the new design, FaceTime, retina display, and I saw them everywhere. Also I would have to say the iPhone 5S is tied with the iPhone 4 cause of the A7 with 64-bit brought mobile computing another step closer to desktop class processing.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You clearly never owned anything other than a Nokia 6210 until your iphone. All the the things you mention existed, and some in better form, before iPhone was released.

I agree. The original iPhone had a high res screen, multitouch, and an awesome browser. And these alone were very compelling. But it wasn't "smart." No apps. No third party stuff. A palm treo blew circles around it with just way more functionality. And the treo had touch, highest res until then, and a half baked browser but all usable.

What broke the most ground and actually became a smartphone was the iPhone 3G with the App Store. The first iPhone, despite the potential and wonderful innovation, was simply a feature phone.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree. The original iPhone had a high res screen, multitouch, and an awesome browser. And these alone were very compelling. But it wasn't "smart." No apps. No third party stuff. A palm treo blew circles around it with just way more functionality. And the treo had touch, highest res until then, and a half baked browser but all usable.

What broke the most ground and actually became a smartphone was the iPhone 3G with the App Store. The first iPhone, despite the potential and wonderful innovation, was simply a feature phone.

Good point, I have to say you hit it on the nail. The first IPhone probably created (or kicked off, if you like that analogy better) the whole market for the modern smartphone, it started the journey, but the 3G and 3Gs was the one that covered the most ground moving forward from then on.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Having been in the mobile industry and watched as bag phones turned into brick phones which turned into pocketable phones which turned into smartphones which turned into iPhones. Also a longtime Blackberry user, it wasn't until the iPhone 4 that I felt Apple had more than just form, but enough function to warrant a change. Bought my iPhone 4 when they first came out. Still using it. I'm yet to see anything significant enough from Apple to warrant another change.

The iPhone 5 is a massive leap from the iPhone 4. The extra screen space is nice. The processor is the biggest gain you notice instantly.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I owned so many phones before the iPhone I couldn't even remember the models individually...so no, you're wrong about that. I think you (and anyone that agreed with you) missed a pretty clear statement i made in my own post...I said "the first iPhone didn't invent most of these things", so you pointing out that they existed is redundant...I know this, I said it myself. I also never said the iPhone did any of these things BEST...I said it got it in consumers hands in a new way that boosted the technology and made it common place. There is no argument against this because it is 100% factual...not just an opinion or pie in the sky thought.

Reading your post, I don't think you had a point at all and were just trying to chime in to start an argument or debate. If you want to retort something worth discussing feel free, but what you said was almost a mirror of what I said in my own post.

Lastly, the question posed was not about any other device...it asked which iPhone did WE think broke the most ground...to me it was the first one, because it brought technology of this sort to consumers in a way that revolutionized the cellular phone industry. Don't agree? You're blind and naive.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I owned so many phones before the iPhone I couldn't even remember the models individually...so no, you're wrong about that. I think you (and anyone that agreed with you) missed a pretty clear statement i made in my own post...I said "the first iPhone didn't invent most of these things", so you pointing out that they existed is redundant...I know this, I said it myself. I also never said the iPhone did any of these things BEST...I said it got it in consumers hands in a new way that boosted the technology and made it common place. There is no argument against this because it is 100% factual...not just an opinion or pie in the sky thought.

Reading your post, I don't think you had a point at all and were just trying to chime in to start an argument or debate. If you want to retort something worth discussing feel free, but what you said was almost a mirror of what I said in my own post.

Lastly, the question posed was not about any other device...it asked which iPhone did WE think broke the most ground...to me it was the first one, because it brought technology of this sort to consumers in a way that revolutionized the cellular phone industry. Don't agree? You're blind and naive.

I just want to say that Sean, you are absolutely one of the most knowledgeable members here in iMore, and so far every point you have made has been an educated one. Never let it be said that you are talking out of air.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the iPhone that really pushed Apple in to the stratosphere was the iPhone 4. The camera, the screen, and the build were just so far ahead of what was being put out by other OEMs at the time. Plus, I'll say that at the time it was the best mobile OS for general users. Windows Mobile and BlackBerry had niche uses and audiences but were sunsetting and Android hadn't hit it's stride yet. Today is a different world, but back then I don't think you could beat the 4 for general use. But there was another reason...

Verizon. Although it came out late to the party the iPhone 4 was the first iPhone in the U.S. to not be a carrier exclusive model. With the 4 Apple doubled the potential audience for the iPhone in one of it's largest markets. That, to me, is when I really started noticing EVERYONE around me with that damn piece of metal and glass that I couldn't get yet.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup. The iPhone 4 was definitely Apple's most groundbreaking device. The glass screen and backing, FaceTime, Retina Display screen. It was such an amazing phone for it's time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox