Which iPhone did you think broke the most ground for Apple?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm still of the opinion that the 3GS was what pushed the iPhone into the much bigger area of mainstream popularity. It featured a faster processor and more ram to really make the 3G phone platform they had go up to unprecedented heights.

So, to me, the 3GS was THE breakthrough device (which ardent iPhone 5 lovers will kill me shortly thereafter).

Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_203 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm still of the opinion that the 3GS was what pushed the iPhone into the much bigger area of mainstream popularity. It featured a faster processor and more ram to really make the 3G phone platform they had into unprecedented heights.

So, to me, the 3GS was THE breakthrough device for me (which ardent iPhone 5 lovers will kill me shortly thereafter).

Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_203 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, good one. The original iPhone changed the game, but when customers were able to purchase it via subsidy, that's when it really took off. I purchased the 3G for a short period of time before returning to my beloved Blackberry. I also believe the iPhone 4 took it to even greater heights with its new and gorgeous design. I'd say the 3G was the device that pushed it into the mainstream in the manner you're speaking, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The iPhone 4. With the new body and retina display people took it seriously. AT&T exclusivity ended. There are still a lot of them out there in use.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
If definitely agree with the iPhone 4. The iPhone really become a fashionable device to have and it seemed that it became mainstream around that point

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I would have to say the iphone 4, during the time the iphone3G was released the Blackberry (8330?) was still the smartphone to have....IMO

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it was the iPhone 4. The retina display and glass and stainless steel body really made it stand out from the crowd at the time. I can't really remember what the hot Android phone of the day was at the time, but from a BlackBerry user's perspective, that's when you really started to notice the iPhone take off. Up until the 4, hardware wise, the higher end BlackBerries were competitive with whatever generation iPhone was out. The "hot" BlackBerry at the time of the iPhone 4 was the Torch 9800, which I had. When I used and compared the two of them, that was the first time I felt BlackBerry was falling behind and needed to step it up.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I would say iPhone 4 also. Even though the 3GS is one of my favorites. It seems everyone was getting the 4 when it came out. Folks still weren't buying in to the virtual keyboard when the 3GS came out.

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Even though the 3GS got me into the iPhone, the 4 is the true breakthrough device in my opinion. The flat, brick like design, front facing camera, and the flash is what became standard for the iPhone design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
iphone 4. The form factor pushed the build quality that apple wanted to leverage to establish itself as a premium device. anything before the 4 did not have this

Skatophilia

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
definitely iPhone 4, slightly iphone 5 cause of bigger screen but now no one seems to really care since there hasnt been a "radical" change lately

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The very first iPhone to me was the most ground breaking...back in 2007 when smart phones were not smart and primarily phones more than anything else. It brought to the table the intuitive and user friendly touch screen, the form factor, the introduction to "apps", the remarkably improved camera functionality, true web browsing, a digital keyboard that could be customized for whatever language you preferred...etc etc etc.

I mean the first iPhone didn't invent most of these things, but it damn sure put it in the consumers hands in a way where they really learned how to use it, and change their lives based on the functionality.

Ever since, they've improved on it...sometimes slightly, sometimes ENORMOUSLY...but all the while, still improvements and not reinvention. To me, if you talk about breaking ground, you reflect the beginning, and as much improvement as has been done to each and every iPhone (and really every smart phone out there) since 2007, the genesis factor was still the very first one...which by todays standards is just an awful experience that no one would prefer, but in 2007...it was jaw dropping.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd say the original iPhone, since it completely changed what consumers looked for in smartphones. It is responsible for the popularity of touchscreen devices and apps. Previously, smartphones were devices with physical keypads and not much in the way of apps, other than email/organizers. The original iPhone set the standard for everything else that followed, not just from Apple, but from all manufacturers and platforms.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, good one. The original iPhone changed the game, but when customers were able to purchase it via subsidy, that's when it really took off. I purchased the 3G for a short period of time before returning to my beloved Blackberry. I also believe the iPhone 4 took it to even greater heights with its new and gorgeous design. I'd say the 3G was the device that pushed it into the mainstream in the manner you're speaking, but that's just my opinion.

It was the first iPhone that looked good. I say that the S versions of the iPhone are the ones that change everything up.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
YES...LOL

It's still a good phone. iOS 6 is not out-dated yet. Did you guys hear that Apple is allowing users with older iDevices to download older versions of apps so they could have those apps on their devices that can't support the newer versions of the apps.- I think that may be a bit confusing

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think having iOS6 run older versions of apps on older phones is a bad thing. In fact it's great to still keep these phones having these apps so they could still run them. If nothing, this shows support from the companies and that can only help Apple to user relations. That is surprising to say given that Apple's customer satisfaction numbers are so impressive already.

I do agree that the 4 really introduced the iPhone to a whole generation of users, and the design was completely reworked. It not only gained momentum but also excitement in the product. It's little surprise it sold gangbusters every year and increasingly so...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal