iPhone 5S or the Moto X?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely broke my heart as I'd all but decided that Motorola (backed by Google) would be my OEM of choice if I was going to remain on Android....though I know that Samsung is Apple's fiercest competitor. I state that not to say I'm anti-Apple but if I'm not on iOS/iPhone I want its closest rival from the Android platform.

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Cnet seems to think this is a blessing I disguise for Android and a thorn for Apple! Is there something special about Lenovo that I don't know here???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I think Lenovo won't do justice for the Motorola crowd more than Google would, I mean, come on..

I really felt upset to know Google would do that, just to offload the company before it keeps adding to their operating expenses. That's my take on it, but it's just the nature of how Google needs to do in the best interest of the company's financials.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That's business. Google doesn't want to be in the hardware business. They wanted the patents.

@RicanMedic78, Lenovo has already done this with IBM's PC business. There is still the chance they could repeat with Motorola in the mobile device business. Even today Lenovo's PCs carry the ThinkPad branding and styling. I have a ThinkCenter all-in-one at work, same black/blue/red styling IBM used to have. Lenovo could just continue to operate Motorola as they currently are and not touch a thing here. While they absorb Motorola's designs and tech into their own in Asia and start selling Motorola tech under their own name in other regions.

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That's business. Google doesn't want to be in the hardware business. They wanted the patents.

@RicanMedic78, Lenovo has already done this with IBM's PC business. There is still the chance they could repeat with Motorola in the mobile device business. Even today Lenovo's PCs carry the ThinkPad branding and styling. I have a ThinkCenter all-in-one at work, same black/blue/red styling IBM used to have. Lenovo could just continue to operate Motorola as they currently are and not touch a thing here. While they absorb Motorola's designs and tech into their own in Asia and start selling Motorola tech under their own name in other regions.

I think what happened is that the fans who have become loyal to Moto since the transition feel cheated after we all invested in their new vision; especially with the way they marketed their vision. Then for all that to fall apart in 1 night is like having a wife tell u one random day, "the divorce papers are in! Good bye!"

Sounds comical but it's the same principle concept

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

They could have sold the handset business much earlier, instead of just lately to Lenovo, to avoid the operating losses Google took from last quarter and the layoffs. Motorola's final quarter under Google: $1.24 billion revenue, $384 million operating loss | Android Central

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm usually an avid supporter of Android but I'm hearing rumors that Google is selling Motorola already. That makes me uncomfortable after all they've invested. I'd choose the 5s if it were me. Of course that's just my opinion. =)

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm usually an avid supporter of Android but I'm hearing rumors that Google is selling Motorola already. That makes me uncomfortable after all they've invested. I'd choose the 5s if it were me. Of course that's just my opinion. =)

At this point, I'd have to agree! Too much unsteadiness in the Motorola boat right now

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
They've been known for turn around a before. They bought IBM's desktop PC business and turned it around and now it is the number one PC vendor in the world.

Well I wish them luck, Motorola used to be a really great company. I'd love to see them restored. I just don't have a lot of hope because of the way the economy and competition are rolling these days.

ces_garc94

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
If you do decide to get the 5S be sure to get AppleCare within the 30 days of purchase! One hardware problem the iphone tends to have is that it's lock/power button gets jammed. Better to be safe than sorry bud

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have both the Moto x and the 5s. As much as I like the x, there are simple design flaws that I do not like. I don't like the speaker placement on the back. I like the curved back, but in all honesty, I have gripes with it too, it's odd shaped and bulky on top while thinner toward the bottom. Apple doesn't do this to their hardware. They are anal about astedics. And that's what I appreciate about Apple hardware. I also do not like the style Moto x has as far at the side trim. Looks sandwiched together. Personally, I've always like trims like the iphone's tapered edge. The blackberry q10 has the same style that I look for when it comes to that design.

The Moto x however is the only phone I know that hits the sweet spot in screen size and phone size. The front of the device is near perfect in my view. Very clean. The camera in the center is something I do like over side placement cameras. Too bad the camera itself sucks lol.

Based on all that, I think the iphone wins hands down in hardware. The only thing to consider now is software, and I'd have to say that android is superior in far so many ways than iOS is, with the exception of apps. But as far as features and usability goes, android has this one in the bag

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I won't say that the Android operating system beats iOS or anything like that, but certainly I would say that in many ways Android excels where iOS suffers, and the opposite is true in some other cases.

IOS has a better App Store and a video, or music or whatever (ha) Store, than Android's, though the gap is definitely closing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are an android person, and have never used iPhone before you may never miss what you never had. For most people I know including myself that have owned an iPhone before ALWAYS end up coming back to iPhone.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
If you are an android person, and have never used iPhone before you may never miss what you never had. For most people I know including myself that have owned an iPhone before ALWAYS end up coming back to iPhone.

I think you're right but I can't quite put my finger on why. I spent the last 18 or so months switching amongst various Android handsets (some of them very very VERY nice) only to come back to iOS completely.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I come back to iOS only because of the steller hardware and aftermarket cases that are not available for my android device of choice, the Moto X. I think iOS has bizarre flaws with regard to the notifications tray, sending media around, bluetooth, etc. Also, its so extremely simplistic that it can get boring quick (although that's not to say its Apple's fault and not just my own craving for something more). But overall, the camera, build quality, size of the overall package and aftermarkets is just bar none.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I come back to iOS only because of the steller hardware and aftermarket cases that are not available for my android device of choice, the Moto X. I think iOS has bizarre flaws with regard to the notifications tray, sending media around, bluetooth, etc. Also, its so extremely simplistic that it can get boring quick (although that's not to say its Apple's fault and not just my own craving for something more). But overall, the camera, build quality, size of the overall package and aftermarkets is just bar none.

Have you tried jailbreaking to ease your boredom? It's telepathically easy and, I've found, the customization options to be quite entertaining.

RicanMedic78

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried jailbreaking to ease your boredom? It's telepathically easy and, I've found, the customization options to be quite entertaining.

ehhh, I would try it but idk. My biggest beef is the way the notifications tray works. I hate pulling down the tray to see a tapatalk message for example, and then having to go back anyway to clear it manually. Its like double work. Then you get mixed up on which messages you ready and which you didnt read. Mind you, all iOS apps don't work the same way. Whatsapp for example seems to clear as you open it. So I don't quite get the inconsistency with the way the tray works. I don't think jailbreaking will fix that. It's just something I'll have to live with I guess until Apple decides they want to fix it. Same goes for the problems with sending media from the gallery itself. When you're combing through 100s of pictures and realize you want to send a picture to someone in a particular app, you can't. You have to actually go back, open the app itself, and then find the picture again! What a pain. Android seems to have solved both of these problems in 4.0 and above.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR