Debating if I really need a macbook.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I want to save up for a macbook to use as a computer and word processor when I need that sort of thing. I was thinking of a MacBook Pro with retina since they just updated, but I'm wondering if I really even need a macbook as opposed to just using a keyboard case on my ipad? See, I don't do work such as music making, video or photo editing, or really word composition. Pretty much I'm mainly going to be using the Mac for web browsing, email, video watching, file management (Dropbox and etc) and maybe word processing when school calls for it. But now that iWork and iLife are being better optimized for iOS, wouldn't I just be better off with a Bluetooth keyboard or keyboard case for my ipad 4?

But I'm probably going to want to start doing audio recording, and maybe a macbook is needed for that? It'll be voice overs.

I done know how often the thing is going to leave the house, either. Which is why I was considering the retina pro over the MacBook Air.

What say you?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Also, I might want to start to dabble in photography with my iPhone. If that makes any difference. Don't even know if I can do any real editing of iPhone photos.

HurricaneTracker

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Based on the information you provided, it sounds like you need a retina MacBook Air. The SSD is nearly flawless and with so many cloud storage options available, space shouldn't be an issue. The Air is speedy and truly ideal for the day-to-day applications you require.

If you were or are an Apple Developer, you would definitely want the MacBook Pro. As a developer myself, I have an iMac and love it. I don't require the portability from a laptop since I use my iPad for that and only do my coding at home.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Apple products are great and they work flawlessly between each other. Enjoy!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you "need" a MacBook? Not in my opinion, based on what you posted thus far. Will it be useful to you and be supported for years to come? Absolutely!

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If it's not going to leave the house and you already have the iPad, you might want to consider a Mac mini and save money over the rMBP.

We'll, I might take it to coffee shops. And I would appreciate portability just in case.

Also, u forgot about note taking for school. Macbook would be handy for that.

If I did go with a macbook, would I go with a air or retina pro?

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The Macbook Pro is a powerful high end device capable of running some fairly sophisticated productivity software. Using it to check Facebook and write essays for college is about the same as hunting rabbits with nuclear missiles.

Not to discourage you from buying it as it is a beautiful device that will last for many years if taken care of, but you can probably save a significant amount of money by purchasing a lower end Macbook Air.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Just keep in mind that even though you add a keyboard to an iPad, it still won't be as useful as a "real" computer with a desktop OS. An 11" MacBook Air starts at $1000.00, which really isn't that much more than a high capacity iPad if you're planning on dropping that much cash. Probably better suited for school use than a tablet.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think you could go either way, it all depends on your personal budget. I write music on the side and have discovered that the latest edition of Garage Band on iOS is fantastic to keep me productive when out and about. For taking notes with Evernote or Writing papers with Pages the iPad is actually a fantastic device, honestly I too have a rMBP that I carry around, however on days when I feel like traveling light I lose zero productivity when I am out with my iPad.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So what is the use case for the MacBook Pro compared to the air? Is the pro mainly for those who do video and photo editing and music production? I just thought it might be worth spending the bit extra over the air to get the better screen with the MacBook Pro retina, since the price gap isn't really big anymore between the 13 inch air and the 13 inch pro with retina.

I MAY want to do light gaming on the laptop as well. I know macs aren't the best for gaming, but I might want to load up a quick game of portal or whatever every now and then. But I'm primarily a console gamer, and honestly haven't played many games lately, so this isn't really a primary need.

Basically, I want this thing for web, email, video, word processing, maybe occasional audio work, and whatever I can't do on my ipad or whatever I can do better on a actual computer.

Will the air give me all that? I do really like the pros display.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Seems like you really like the MBP. If that's the case then go for it. Any regrets you might have will all go away once you power that sucker on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Mac gaming isn't THAT bad. There are some big names on OS X like Borderlands 2. Some games are trash ports that run very poorly. I try to stick to the OS X side whenever I can for gaming though

A Macbook isn't ideal if you plan to boot Windows via boot camp as the optimization is trash and Macbooks get fairly poor battery life under Windows.

I haven't had a chance to use an Iris circuit yet but it is supposed to provide significantly better performance than the 4000 HD. Integrated GPU rely on system RAM though and for optimal performance you don't want to go short here. This will be a significant hidden cost for you as you can't buy RAM for the rMBP aftermarket (the RAM is soldered and not upgradeable).

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I have always thought of the 13" retina macbook pro as basically a retina macbook air. It doesn't strike me as being much more powerful than a macbook air (still dual-core, albeit faster processor), so it really boils down to whether you are willing to pay extra for a better quality screen.

Basically, my answer is "You get what you pay for". Based on your needs, any run of the mill laptop would suffice. An entry level 13" macbook air if you really want to buy into the Apple ecosystem (I find 11" a little too cramped for typing). A retina macbook would be overkill (and recommended only if you have spare cash lying around), but that high-res screen really makes surfing and typing a pleasure (based on my experiences playing around with one at an Apple Store).

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Heres an answer coming from a student.

I used a MBP through undergrad and now into grad school. Often, it was for browsing, research and word processing, and sure and ipad can do this too. But really a personal computer is indispensable for productivity. Being able to read, edit and create powerpoints, spreadsheets, word documents, pdf's etc and manage and TON of them at once, is where macbooks really come into their own. Mac OSX is hands down THE BEST multitasking OS available. I would recommend taking the plunge and getting one. The experience isn't even comparable to an ipad/keyboard combo.

I would recommend for you the macbook air. It has the portability that you want (I really think you'll find yourself taking it with you more often than you believe). And then enjoy! :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77