Am I Biased Towards Apple? You Bet!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
PK don't you wish you had that Commodore now so you had the latest out there..... Oh that is a bit out dated....LOL . Messin with ya of course but ahead of it's time back then.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm 47, coach, but I bet you are right as I was in high school when I got the Apple IIc as I recall, and it was in the early 80ies probably like 82 or 83? I was around 17 I think. I paid 500 and Dad paid the rest. Prior to that I had a Commodore Vic 20.

PK don't you wish you had that Commodore now so you had the latest out there..... Oh that is a bit out dated....LOL . Messin with ya of course but ahead of it's time back then.

My cousin had a Commodore Vic. It was an awesome computer for its time.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm 47, coach, but I bet you are right as I was in high school when I got the Apple IIc as I recall, and it was in the early 80ies probably like 82 or 83? I was around 17 I think. I paid 500 and Dad paid the rest. Prior to that I had a Commodore Vic 20.

My first personal computer was an Atari 520 ST. Using 1985 standards it was a good computer. Very different from the Apple I used at work.

I remember the Commodore Vic 20. William-Captain Kirk-Shatner was their spokesman in the television commercials.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
You can substitute the words "Apple" and "iOS" with the words "BlackBerry" and "BB10" and you can say the exact same thing about BlackBerry. Biased means more than "because it's my opinion". It usually means you haven't thought things out logically and without emotional involvement. If there is one electronic device people get overemotional about, it's their phones. There are plenty of Android lovers that have come up with just as "logical" of a biased opinion about their emotional involvement with their phone. I find those "biased" opinions incredibly funny and love to read them.
I use all the OS out there and each one is great and horrible. I've never understood putting all your eggs in one basket.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
You can substitute the words "Apple" and "iOS" with the words "BlackBerry" and "BB10" and you can say the exact same thing about BlackBerry. Biased means more than "because it's my opinion". It usually means you haven't thought things out logically and without emotional involvement. If there is one electronic device people get overemotional about, it's their phones. There are plenty of Android lovers that have come up with just as "logical" of a biased opinion about their emotional involvement with their phone. I find those "biased" opinions incredibly funny and love to read them.
I use all the OS out there and each one is great and horrible. I've never understood putting all your eggs in one basket.

That was my point, and why I iterated that for me, my bias is Apple and iOS. Everyone has their bias, I love all mobile OS's (I haven't played with Windows Phone though), and they all have their merits and demerits, for me though, Apple and iOS is my goto, the one that's for me. If Apple were to go under and iPhone be no more, I would probably jump ship to Android. Since I haven't played with a BB10 device much or a Windows Phone at all, my hierarchy goes iOS, Android, BB10, Windows Phone.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
People say Apple isn?t innovative because they lack features the competition has, but the question you need to be asking is why Apple hasn?t implemented them. The answer is simple, you don?t need them, and they don?t do anything to enrich the experience of the mobile platform.

I can respect your affection for iOS products, but this statement is just dumb. The reason why a lot of people don't use Apple products is because they don't like Apple dictating what features they need and which they don't. Some of iOS's limitations I can understand, but not being able to change the notification tone in most 3rd party apps... REALLY??? At first, I thought this was a limitation brought on by 3rd party developers, but after talking to one, I found out that this is something Apple doesn't allow, unless the dev brings their own tones, and then you have licensing issues and stuff to deal with. I can't imagine who at Apple thought this limitation was a good idea. I don't think allowing a user to select from one of the built-in tones is going to kill the battery :p

As for other limitations, like not being able to replace the default keyboard, this would also be understandable if iOS were rock solid with great battery life, but this is simply not the case. When I got my 5s through work, it had already rebooted more times in two weeks than my Nexus 4 did in a year (although things have gone smoothly since the 7.03 update rolled out). The battery life isn't any better or worse than my N4 or Moto X. Overall, those two phones are every bit as smooth as the 5s is, if not more.

Also, I read an article the other day that if a user sampled the same finger multiple times, it made the fingerprint scanner work better. One guy said when he did this, it made the scanner work about 90% of the time. Really? With this, the issues folks have had with iOS7 (esp the UI making them motion sick), the Apple Maps debacle, the Siri commercials being misleading to the point that class-action lawsuits were filed, antennagate, and numerous other issues, I fail to see how iOS products are the poster children for quality assurance. I don't hate iOS and Apple generally makes good products, but I think people give Apple more credit than they deserve in this category.

I think the main problem is that most of you have never used a GOOD Android device. Granted, there are only a handful of these devices in a sea of garbage, but once you get a hold of one, I'm not sure you will hold Apple in the same high regard anymore.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
As for other limitations, like not being able to replace the default keyboard, this would also be understandable if iOS were rock solid with great battery life, but this is simply not the case. When I got my 5s through work, it had already rebooted more times in two weeks than my Nexus 4 did in a year (although things have gone smoothly since the 7.03 update rolled out). The battery life isn't any better or worse than my N4 or Moto X. Overall, those two phones are every bit as smooth as the 5s is, if not more.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. If your 5S battery life is similar to your Nexus 4, you should restore and setup as new, or possibly take it to the Apple Store. Having owned both myself, I find the 5S battery to be in another league entirely when compared to the Nexus 4. Many others here also report fantastic battery life from their 5S.

As for the smoothness of iOS 7 versus 4.2.2 or 4.3 Jelly Bean: I will agree that the later versions of JB are some of the smoothest Android experiences ever. iOS 7 by comparison, is far from the smoothest iOS experience I've ever had.

If you would agree with that, then you are comparing Android at its best, to iOS at its worst.

Hardware to hardware, the 5S has proven in benchmarks to decimate all previous iPhones, and the vast majority of competitors hardware currently available. Any hiccups in the experience can probably be attributed to kinks in iOS 7, as the hardware is certainly capable.

I personally would say, my experience with my 5S is as smooth or more smooth than my experience with my Nexus 4 running 4.3 JellyBean. Stock 4.3 on stock kernel. Comparing custom ROMs and kernels to iOS 7 which currently doesn't have a jail break available, is completely unbalanced.

I think the main problem is that most of you have never used a GOOD Android device. Granted, there are only a handful of these devices in a sea of garbage, but once you get a hold of one, I'm not sure you will hold Apple in the same high regard anymore.

I've owned a Nexus 4 and a 2013 Nexus 7, and had plenty of hands-on time with the Galaxy S3 and S4 and Note 2. I think many other people here have also owned and used plenty of Android devices. I've switched back and forth between iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, and BlackBerry multiple times following the iPhones introduction in 2007.

My experiences with Android, as well as BlackBerry and Windows, are directly relevant to my opinion of Apple and the iPhone.

Last edited:

worknman

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. If your 5S battery life is similar to your Nexus 4, you should restore and setup as new, or possibly take it to the Apple Store.

I know it isn't everyone's experience, but I've always gotten good battery life on the N4, except for the time I went to Georgia where reception was lousy, at which time the battery was sucking wind :) I get better battery life on the Moto X than either the 5s or N4.

As for the smoothness of iOS 7 versus 4.2.2 or 4.3 Jelly Bean: I will agree that the later versions of JB are some of the smoothest Android experiences ever. iOS 7 by comparison, is far from the smoothest iOS experience I've ever had.

*shrug* I'm just comparing what I have - Nexus 4 running 4.4 vs 5s running iOS7. Unless you can roll back to iOS6 (which I wouldn't anyway), I think this is a valid comparison. It seems that Apple has gotten many of the issues in iOS7 ironed out, and I'm not having any current issues with stability. My point was that the overall experience of iOS vs a high-end Android device really isn't that different. They all have issues, sure. And it might take an update or three to smooth out the rough edges. But at the end of the day, one is about as smooth and stable as the other.

To be fair, there's a lot I like about iOS, and a lot I hate about it too. Same with Android. I really wish I could combine the two platforms, esp with the active notifications and hands-free functionality of my Moto X :)

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, there's a lot I like about iOS, and a lot I hate about it too. Same with Android. I really wish I could combine the two platforms, esp with the active notifications and hands-free functionality of my Moto X :)

^^^This.

I'd actually like to combine features of Android, BlackBerry, iOS and Windows Phone into a device. There are certain things I like about each platform. I don't think the perfect device for me actually exists, since each platform has good features as well as drawbacks.

mikespad

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
i've been using Apple products since the early 80's, I believe it was a Mac IIc. And, have been using Apple exclusively since. Does that make me biased towards Apple, or a "fanboy"? I certainly love Apple products, obviously. But, I don't trash other brands, nor put down their ads, nor insult their users, nor claim Apple is superior in all things. My brother only buys GM cars, a cousin prefers only Hondas. I've own a Ford F150, a Camry and a Subaru. At the end of the day, buy whatever you want and be happy. There's no need to trash anyone for preferring something else. Peace.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
i've been using Apple products since the early 80's, I believe it was a Mac IIc. And, have been using Apple exclusively since. Does that make me biased towards Apple, or a "fanboy"? I certainly love Apple products, obviously. But, I don't trash other brands, nor put down their ads, nor insult their users, nor claim Apple is superior in all things. My brother only buys GM cars, a cousin prefers only Hondas. I've own a Ford F150, a Camry and a Subaru. At the end of the day, buy whatever you want and be happy. There's no need to trash anyone for preferring something else. Peace.

I agree, if anyone thought I was bashing any other brands, their users, or being a fanboy then the point of the post was missed entirely. A bias doesn't necessarily mean a perception of the best, just a perception of what is best for the person with the bias. As in my case, I prefer iOS and Apple over the competition, but I love all the competition.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree, if anyone thought I was bashing any other brands, their users, or being a fanboy then the point of the post was missed entirely. A bias doesn't necessarily mean a perception of the best, just a perception of what is best for the person with the bias. As in my case, I prefer iOS and Apple over the competition, but I love all the competition.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

Problem is that without a lot of self-restraint it's almost impossible these days not to get sucked into trolling/bashing/provokation from those who hang out on iBlogs and get satisfaction when they aggravate others. I'm (trying to be) like you, strictly reading what I enjoy (Apple related material) and biting my tongue when it comes to other platforms. Unfortunately that's not what the majority does, at least thats my perception. Sucks that in the days of the internet you get the impression it's impossible to just dearly like one thing without hating the rest.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Problem is that without a lot of self-restraint it's almost impossible these days not to get sucked into trolling/bashing/provokation from those who hang out on iBlogs and get satisfaction when they aggravate others. I'm (trying to be) like you, strictly reading what I enjoy (Apple related material) and biting my tongue when it comes to other platforms. Unfortunately that's not what the majority does, at least thats my perception. Sucks that in the days of the internet you get the impression it's impossible to just dearly like one thing without hating the rest.
One could replace "Apple" with any company, though, and the same would be true. That could apply to anything, not just tech products.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods