Am I Biased Towards Apple? You Bet!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
You may have noticed that I frequently use Apple products as my go to comparison for mobile tech. You?re right, you?re absolutely right. Call me whatever you want, but take a second to hear me out first. Everyone is biased, even if they?re unbiased, they?re biased. It?s human nature. But there?s a reason why Apple is my bias and not other companies like Samsung. So why is it Apple? Quality, quality of products on the hardware and software level, and experience. Nothing beats the Apple experience in my opinion. Does Apple have all the cool gimmicky features and the largest screen on a phone? Nope, and they don?t need to either.

As I?ve said before, while other companies are packing specs into their devices, Apple is making theirs work better. They use what they have. Most top of the line Android phones have quad-core processers, why? They don?t need them to run efficiently, all it really does is drain the battery more than the operating system already does on its own. Apple has proven multiple times over that dual-core processors can still be absolutely amazing and do everything you need your phone to do and do it efficiently while preserving battery life.

But I can multitask?; No you can?t. For one, it?s physically impossible for the vast majority of humans to multitask, doing multiple things at a time means doing one for thing for a minute, and then doing another for a minute, not doing both simultaneously, or multitasking. Does the Android operating system multitask? If you consider not being able to close anything multitasking, then yes. But then again Apple products can have many open apps at the same time as well. But just like most Android phones you can still only have one of the apps using the screen at one time. Sure there are other Android phones that you let do screen in screen, but even on a five inch screen that?s a stupid thing to have. There?s not enough space and you can still only focus your attention on thing at a time.

People say Apple isn?t innovative because they lack features the competition has, but the question you need to be asking is why Apple hasn?t implemented them. The answer is simple, you don?t need them, and they don?t do anything to enrich the experience of the mobile platform. They don?t help you get things done, and they just kill battery life. There are exceptions to every rule though, like actionable notifications. Apple has implemented that on the desktop level but not the mobile level yet. I?m quite certain that?s because they haven?t found a way to blend it seamlessly into the operating system and overall experience.

Yes, I talk about the experience a lot?but so did Steve Jobs. Yes, I?m biased towards Apple?but so is the competition. Everyone looked toward Steve Jobs, and subsequently Apple, for ?the next big thing.? They understood Apple was changing the game; they were changing lives, and they selling an experience. But then came the spec race?the feature race. Suddenly Apple didn?t know what they were doing because other companies were doing things first. But many don?t understand a lot of those new ideas came from rumors of what Apple was working on. I?m not asking you to like Apple, I?m not asking you to ignore what people are saying, I?m just asking you to take a step back and realize you have what you have because of Apple. Take a step back and look at what Apple has accomplished, and what they still accomplish, usually more toward the hardware side of things now. Apple is still innovating, Apple is still setting the bar, but the bar is buried under other companies? features. Apple will continue to be Apple until it is no more, and I for one hope that day is long to come.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say I'm completely biased towards Apple. But I definitely agree with your views on what makes Apple, and the iPhone, stand apart from their competition.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple has a ton of pros for sure. I love the content that is accessible. I like that all my phone settings are backed up and easily restored.

I'm staying with iPhone for at least two years and I'm enjoying the heck out of my device, all the great apps, fantastic camera.

But I'm still "biased" towards BlackBerry. I just like the way that OS handles messages and notifications.

All the mobile platforms have their strengths. It's up to you to decide which is important to you at what time! I'm glad there are choices!

Although I would like to see one platform with all my favorite features! Maybe someday...

Fortheus

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I am using imac, ipad, and iphone they're great and I love it. Everything you said is actually about only about iOS.

To be honest, not all apple product is great. What I adore is their philosophy and focus.

Philosophy:
They're not cutting corners to make great products.
- aluminum
- glass
- saphire
- great screen

They tend to upgrade the material whenever they can while other companies try to downgrade their material whenever they can.

My biggest disappointment is with 5C. They downgrade the material from aluminum to plastic. The only excuse is I believe is due to manufacturing capacity. They won't be able to produce enough iPhone with same aluminum case. Correct me if I'm wrong on these

Focus:
They are not doing it all making them focus on smallest detail to make great user experience.

It takes a lot of time to get elegant solution. They're not the first to have it, but their solution is usually good or amazingly good.

Eg: copy paste. It sucks not to have it for sure, but it's lower priority when their hand is full to make ios works.

When everybody ask for multitasking, I believe Steve Job know better. What they want is actually a background processing for certain task. Not fully running apps.

Their solution: make api for apps to run certain task only. Uploads, audio, etc.

How iOS implement multi task is the best and I will be really pissed off if they change it to full running apps.

Again, multi task is lower priority than copy paste and it only happens when cpu, battery, and memory have more room to spare.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I use my iphone for organization, communication, and reading. My mini ipad for some light gaming and hopefully more reading with the retina model.

As for productivity (and this differs for everyone i suppose), I don't have much use for Apple. If I do get a Mac, it will only be because I can put some windows programs on it but also ties in with my iOS devices.

I do feel like Apple is lost in marketing right now. Releasing everything at once means there's no focus. They're not really educating consumers anymore or explaining why iOS products are so great.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
metllicamilitia, I'm biased towards Android, but I do respect and am cool with your opinions on Apple. :)

I'd have to agree with cardfan that Apple has lost their focus somewhat in their marketing. Take a look at the iPad Air. OK, it's thin, it's light, but how can people relate to that device? What I like from Google lately (and even Samsung is heading in this direction) is selling the "experience" of using an Android device. Show the features, but do so subtly...no bragging or showcasing about it, no bashing another manufacturer...just show what you are doing with that device and how it ties in with your daily life. If you've seen the latest Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 commercials, you can see that's the way they're marketing it.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
metllicamilitia, I'm biased towards Android, but I do respect and am cool with your opinions on Apple. :)

I'd have to agree with cardfan that Apple has lost their focus somewhat in their marketing. Take a look at the iPad Air. OK, it's thin, it's light, but how can people relate to that device? What I like from Google lately (and even Samsung is heading in this direction) is selling the "experience" of using an Android device. Show the features, but do so subtly...no bragging or showcasing about it, no bashing another manufacturer...just show what you are doing with that device and how it ties in with your daily life. If you've seen the latest Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 commercials, you can see that's the way they're marketing it.

I really like the Nexus ads with the kid.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
metallicamilitia, I agree with your comments and observations about iOS. I do find iOS to be nice.

I'm with cardfan, though, when it comes to OS X. I really like Windows and would not have a use for a Mac now or in the foreseeable future.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Do I really need to say my bias? ;) HOWEVER I do love Apple products and have used them before some of you were born. ;)

appleiic.jpg

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
In regards to the comments about my post harshly leaning towards iOS, yes it does. I don't have a Mac and the last time I used one was about 7 years ago. I also stated very early on the post that this was at least for mobile tech. After I do get my MacBook Pro, I may update this post with regards to the desktop aspect.

I agree also on the marketing aspect, Steve Jobs was great about marketing the experience, that is one of the things that has lost a lot of momentum with the passing of Jobs. I would like to see the rise of it again, experience sells a lot better than specs.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In regards to the comments about my post harshly leaning towards iOS, yes it does. I don't have a Mac and the last time I used one was about 7 years ago. I also stated very early on the post that this was at least for mobile tech. After I do get my MacBook Pro, I may update this post with regards to the desktop aspect.

I agree also on the marketing aspect, Steve Jobs was great about marketing the experience, that is one of the things that has lost a lot of momentum with the passing of Jobs. I would like to see the rise of it again, experience sells a lot better than specs.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

Maybe I don't see it as Steve Jobs marketing the heck out of the experience, but he certainly had a focus of the customers first and what makes them salivate the most. He's the first hand reporter of the experience. The sleekness, the design and the smooth seamlessness of the entire experience shows through of course, but you could see Jobs always had the knack of seeing himself squarely as the user and explaining to people what struck him the most about every product he presents, which is why you always could feel a sense of conviction and connection he has with every device.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Do I really need to say my bias? ;) HOWEVER I do love Apple products and have used them before some of you were born. ;)

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/appleiic.jpg

I remember when I the school I taught at purchased an Apple computer like the one in your picture for me to use in my classroom. I learned to use a spreadsheet to record my grades and it was the great time saver.

Not sure how old you are, but I'm willing to bet I'm older.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I remember when I the school I taught at purchased an Apple computer like the one in your picture for me to use in my classroom. I learned to use a spreadsheet to record my grades and it was the great time saver.

Not sure how old you are, but I'm willing to bet I'm older.

I'm 47, coach, but I bet you are right as I was in high school when I got the Apple IIc as I recall, and it was in the early 80ies probably like 82 or 83? I was around 17 I think. I paid 500 and Dad paid the rest. Prior to that I had a Commodore Vic 20.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR