How bigger screen iPhones could lead to best in class profit margins for Apple

After reading this article and many like it over time as the article states that Rene Ritchie has been writing about - My question because I find the article very interesting, Would you be willing to sacrifice what is on the inside of the iPhone as opposed to a larger screen quite a bit larger than the current screen? In other words if the screen size and this is just as an example went from the current 4" to 4.5 or larger, Would that be ok with you as long as the inside continued to get better as it has going from the current A7 to A8 etc like that?

What would be your cut off in screen size and still have a phone that the quality of components continues to get better as iPhone is known for? Read the article and see what you think.

How bigger screen iPhones could lead to best in class profit margins for Apple | iMore
    11-11-2013 04:39 PM
    Good article, and good questions, for me the iphone 5, 5s, 5c are the perfect size. And the best part is they work and work great. If they could go to 4.5 and not sacrifice anything inside, I say why not. More options are always a good thing.
    Jaguarr40 and kataran like this.
    11-11-2013 05:11 PM
    It all depends how Apple gets the added screen size relative to the overall size of the device. I'd roughly say, anything over 5 inches, and I wouldn't buy it. I think 4.3 to 4.5" could be the sweet spot with smaller bezels. 4.7 to 4.8 could work as well, but it would need to be an extreme "edge to edge" design to keep the form factor comfortable.

Considering Apple went from 3.5" 3:2 aspect, to 4" 16:9 aspect, I think the next logical step is 4.5" in a 16:9 aspect ratio... In 1280x720. So the iPhone would finally have true 720p HD resolution, and maintain Retina resolution at 326ppi. The screen would be a hair under 4" tall, and a little over 2.2" wide... With an edge to edge design, this would still be very close to the size of the current iPhone, and very comfortable to use one-handed.
    11-11-2013 05:24 PM
    There are a lot of people who are in love with android that would own a iPhone if the screen was bigger. I thought they'd give it a try with two models with different sizes but instead, they brought out the 5c. It would be hard for iPhone users who are so in love with this small screen to get a larger size, so I really just think they should bring it!
    11-11-2013 05:35 PM
    I'm not sure what the guy who wrote the linked article is talking about. Apple already has best in class profit margins. I share his excitement though.

Would you be willing to sacrifice what is on the inside of the iPhone as opposed to a larger screen quite a bit larger than the current screen?
    Huh? I'm not getting this. Are you saying apple wouldn't update the processor or other internals because of a bigger screen?
    Last edited by cardfan; 11-11-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    11-11-2013 05:47 PM
    I'm not sure what the guy who wrote the linked article is talking about. Apple already has best in class profit margins. I share his excitement though.

Huh? I'm not getting this. Are you saying apple wouldn't update the processor or other internals because of a bigger screen?
    I am asking the question ...What would you rather have? A better quality component set with the ability to do more or a larger screen without updating components and keeping the insides status quo?
    I myself would rather keep the current screen size with the ability to have components that will give us the ability to do more and have these components relative to developers capable of taking these components and building apps that no other platform can touch to make our lives better both personal and business.
    11-11-2013 06:27 PM
    As for me, I would personally prefer a larger sized iPhone. I think the sweet spot is about a 5" screen or so, maybe a little less. The 5s IMO will be the last "small" iPhone that Apple can get away with. But for the iPhone 6 or whatever the next gen iPhone will be called, Apple will probably need to start making phones that are on par with the size of the competitors' phones since consumers want to go larger.
    11-16-2013 04:38 PM
    I am asking the question ...What would you rather have? A better quality component set with the ability to do more or a larger screen without updating components and keeping the insides status quo?
    I myself would rather keep the current screen size with the ability to have components that will give us the ability to do more and have these components relative to developers capable of taking these components and building apps that no other platform can touch to make our lives better both personal and business.

I don't think it has to be one or the other. New devices could have updated components in both a smaller and a larger screen model. I don't think the smaller screen model should be discontinued, but a larger screen model should be available too.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    Fit24 likes this.
    11-16-2013 04:49 PM
    I don't think it has to be one or the other. New devices could have updated components in both a smaller and a larger screen model. I don't think the smaller screen model should be discontinued, but a larger screen model should be available too.

I agree with this also. There is a reason why the iPhone sells so well; it's clear that there are a good amount of people who can appreciate a smaller screen. While the smartphone market is shifting towards larger screen, there will be those people who will still want a smaller screen. I think that it would be important to keep a smaller sized iPhone around at least for a while.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-16-2013 05:00 PM

As conservative as we all know Apple is in making a move in doing things to their devices I thing we would see them put more in the phone than how big the actual phone will be in screen size. After all I think the people that buy these products have a louder voice than most give them credit. There will come a time where Apple will just simply say as an example our screen size for iPhone will be 4.5 inches as an example and that is it. They would rather let Samsung and LG those bit TV makers that deal in large screen sizes and concentrate on what makes the phone work in terms of speed and power and performance and also screen resolution to make what you see on the screen look as good as the the components they put inside to make their phone overall the best out there bar none.
    So far it has not hurt and I have not heard a majority complain. I had said I would not want anything larger than 4.5 inches with stellar components inside and a killer OS. I still stand there in my opinion.
    11-16-2013 05:47 PM
    I don't think screen size and component quality are mutually exclusive, but if I had to choose I'd prefer better or improved components. I like the current iPhone screen size. If my phone is no longer pocketable (i.e. portable) then it is too large for me.
    anon4757448 likes this.
    11-16-2013 06:16 PM
    As conservative as we all know Apple is in making a move in doing things to their devices I thing we would see them put more in the phone than how big the actual phone will be in screen size. After all I think the people that buy these products have a louder voice than most give them credit. There will come a time where Apple will just simply say as an example our screen size for iPhone will be 4.5 inches as an example and that is it. They would rather let Samsung and LG those bit TV makers that deal in large screen sizes and concentrate on what makes the phone work in terms of speed and power and performance and also screen resolution to make what you see on the screen look as good as the the components they put inside to make their phone overall the best out there bar none.
    So far it has not hurt and I have not heard a majority complain. I had said I would not want anything larger than 4.5 inches with stellar components inside and a killer OS. I still stand there in my opinion.
    I have a friend who has a MacBook Pro, iMac and iPad but switched from iPhone to SGS Note 2 due to size. This is someone who is a prime candidate for an iPhone, due to owning and liking all those other Apple products. Size is the only issue at the present time.
    ajst222 likes this.
    11-19-2013 03:07 PM
    I have a friend who has a MacBook Pro, iMac and iPad but switched from iPhone to SGS Note 2 due to size. This is someone who is a prime candidate for an iPhone, due to owning and liking all those other Apple products. Size is the only issue at the present time.
    I have a friend who is the same way. HUGE Apple fan: MacBook Air, iPad, had an iPhone 4 since launch. Just upgraded to the 5c and took it back about a week later and got the Samsung Galaxy Note III and loves it. Why did he decide not to stick with the 5c? Because of the screen size. The internal components have nothing to do with it as Apple is very good at optimizing performance and iProducts don't slouch. As I stated before, Apple certainly should not get rid of the 4" screen size. Instead, next time around, they should sell a 5" iPhone right along side the 4" model. No change in specs from the two, just different form factors.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-19-2013 03:52 PM
    I agree with this also. There is a reason why the iPhone sells so well; it's clear that there are a good amount of people who can appreciate a smaller screen. While the smartphone market is shifting towards larger screen, there will be those people who will still want a smaller screen. I think that it would be important to keep a smaller sized iPhone around at least for a while.
    I was one of those who prefer the small size screen... Ive never been an Apple Fan, I use android since day one. However those android phones are just getting bigger each year while my hands and pocket size stay the same... I bought an Ip 5 last year and really happy with this 4 inches screen even though I had to buy all my favorite apps again and lost some benefit that android can deliver...
    11-23-2013 12:29 PM
    The big screen size is the reason the z30 lost. With blackberry or Apple for work choices, iPhone won due to size. Z10 was older hardware so it was a no go compared to the 5s.
    11-24-2013 09:18 AM
    The big screen size is the reason the z30 lost. With blackberry or Apple for work choices, iPhone won due to size. Z10 was older hardware so it was a no go compared to the 5s.

No, the Z30 lost due to screen quality (along with dated specs), not the screen size. Go see one...it's pitiful. The Z10's specs were fine. At the time of release, it was able to slide by without a problem. My only gripe with it was the awful battery life.
    11-26-2013 09:24 PM
    A 5-inch iPhone would really be sweet. The screen size for me is a big factor on my next smartphone purchase so that's why I'm holding off as much as I can, hoping for an iPhone with a bigger screen will be a released.
    11-26-2013 10:19 PM
    A 5-inch iPhone would really be sweet. The screen size for me is a big factor on my next smartphone purchase so that's why I'm holding off as much as I can, hoping for an iPhone with a bigger screen will be a released.

If the 13" iPad does get released earlier next year as rumored, it would be interesting to see a larger iPhone as well along with it.
    11-26-2013 11:37 PM
    If the 13" iPad does get released earlier next year as rumored, it would be interesting to see a larger iPhone as well along with it.
    If that happens, then Apple's biggest tablet will be larger than their smallest notebook. Their may be some crossover in price at that point too. Would be very interesting to see what consumers do in that case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    ajst222 likes this.
    11-27-2013 12:14 AM
    If that happens, then Apple's biggest tablet will be larger than their smallest notebook. Their may be some crossover in price at that point too. Would be very interesting to see what consumers do in that case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To be honest, I would have no interest in a large tablet like that. I have a tablet for portability and that thing sure wouldn't be all that portable. And I'm sure it would be heavy.
    11-27-2013 08:21 AM