Talk me off the ledge, guys...

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd really prefer to have the nexus 5 in my hands before deciding to sell the iPhone of not. That way I'm not without a phone for a week or more. So I can't do anything until I get the money to do that.

I'm not sure why I'm wanting to go back to android. I think it's because I'm finding Google is doing more exciting features and things on the software side.

Sounds to me like from an OS standpoint, android is where you want to be and that is fine. But you might want to hop over to androidcentral and visit the Nexus 5 forums if you have not already done so. Seems to be a lot of disappointment from members regarding the camera, battery life, and even the screen quality compared to other flagship android devices. Granted, you will have that to some degree in every forum......but it is running rampent over there.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Sounds to me like from an OS standpoint, android is where you want to be and that is fine. But you might want to hop over to androidcentral and visit the Nexus 5 forums if you have not already done so. Seems to be a lot of disappointment from members regarding the camera, battery life, and even the screen quality compared to other flagship android devices. Granted, you will have that to some degree in every forum......but it is running rampent over there.
I myself have been reading up the Nexus 5 forum over there and have to say I'm surprised at the complaints on those two particular things. It's a shame that there isn't an Android phone that can be perfected in every aspect. Makes it harder, for me at least, to consider using an Android phone as a daily driver. Doesn't seem as seamless to use as an Apple product. Maybe I just have the way I use my Apple products down to a T.

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I can speak as an authority on ledge jumping to Android. I have done it nearly two dozen times. You WILL be back. It'll satisfy your itch, but you'll still be paying your NeXT in the meantime. One thing to keep in mind is, unless you have the same exact device you signed up for NeXT with, you'll be making those payments for 20 months, without the option to upgrade in 12. You have to turn in the device you signed on with in order to get the 12 month upgrade. I've been through this, and it took me time to get the 32GB iPhone that I traded away back again. When making your decision, these facts should be considered thoroughly.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I myself have been reading up the Nexus 5 forum over there and have to say I'm surprised at the complaints on those two particular things.

I wonder though, like any forum, there's a bit of fanboyism creeping in. I've had my Nexus 5 for almost a day now, and outside of the battery (which will take several days before I comment), I don't have any complaints about it. Having owned or test drove every Nexus iteration, each one has improved in one aspect or another. If they don't like their Nexus 5, I'll be glad to get it off their hands and have two or more at my disposal. :D

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
that is so true. I get a laugh out of reading threads starting with "should I go naked with my phone", or the classic "what case should I buy". then there is the ultimate "my friends say the white phone is for girls, does it make me less manly to own the white" ugh

Let me go on record and say that I rocked a pink vanity button on my white Note 2 in a Black Otterbox Commuter case, and I feel in NO way challenged about my manhood!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I wonder though, like any forum, there's a bit of fanboyism creeping in. I've had my Nexus 5 for almost a day now, and outside of the battery (which will take several days before I comment), I don't have any complaints about it. Having owned or test drove every Nexus iteration, each one has improved in one aspect or another. If they don't like their Nexus 5, I'll be glad to get it off their hands and have two or more at my disposal. :D
Yeah. The fanboyism is what would override the complaints, in my opinion. I just think Nexus users expected a bigger battery.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. The fanboyism is what would override the complaints, in my opinion. I just think Nexus users expected a bigger battery.

The spec leaks were out for nearly a month, so I don't understand why all the whining about the battery. Sure, I would've loved to have the same battery size as the LG G2 (3000 mAh), but it's by no means a dealbreaker for me. Can't please everyone.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how battery life on the Nexus 5 is but I assume it is better than the iPhone's...My sister usually has to charge her 5 twice a day, iPhones are efficient but the batteries are still very tiny compared to what some Android phones have

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd really prefer to have the nexus 5 in my hands before deciding to sell the iPhone of not. That way I'm not without a phone for a week or more. So I can't do anything until I get the money to do that.

I'm not sure why I'm wanting to go back to android. I think it's because I'm finding Google is doing more exciting features and things on the software side.
I'd recommend something like the Moto X. You get the Stock Android experience you're looking for in the Nexus 5 but you get much better battery life (from what I've seen) and you still get the small form factor as on an iPhone AND with a much larger screen.
Moto X is as seamless as Android will get. Definitely the best of both worlds :cool:

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend something like the Moto X. You get the Stock Android experience you're looking for in the Nexus 5 but you get much better battery life (from what I've seen) and you still get the small form factor as on an iPhone AND with a much larger screen.
Moto X is as seamless as Android will get. Definitely the best of both worlds :cool:

If it wasn't for the Nexus 5 coming out, I was seriously considering the Moto X or the LG G2. The specs might be mid-range (for an Android phone), but the UI blows away any other Android phone out there, even better than my Nexus 5. I would like a phone to always be listening even when on idle (Nexus 5 can only do this when awake), and I like the notification feature where you don't have to wake your phone to see it. That, and thousands of color combinations to choose from with Moto Maker. I think the Moto X is the sleeper Android phone to have.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I really just don't know what to do.

I don't have any money in the bank right now, so I'll have to wait for at least 3 pay checks before having enough for the 32gb nexus 5. Then if I decide I want to keep it, I'll then have to sell the iPhone and use that money to payoff the iPhone on AT&T next.

But then I'll still be in the hole financially. My adult self is yelling to just be happy with what I have now because I'll be screwing myself over if I continue spending like I am, but my tech self is saying go for it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I really just don't know what to do.

I don't have any money in the bank right now, so I'll have to wait for at least 3 pay checks before having enough for the 32gb nexus 5. Then if I decide I want to keep it, I'll then have to sell the iPhone and use that money to payoff the iPhone on AT&T next.

But then I'll still be in the hole financially. My adult self is yelling to just be happy with what I have now because I'll be screwing myself over if I continue spending like I am, but my tech self is saying go for it.

I feel you on that.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Again, I don't think I'm displeased with iOS. Its just, can I keep using google fully and am I going to be forever locked into Apple?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Again, I don't think I'm displeased with iOS. Its just, can I keep using google fully and am I going to be forever locked into Apple?

Nobody can answer that for you. It's all about how much you invest into the Apple ecosystem. Data, money, etc. Only you know how much you have invested.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Nobody can answer that for you. It's all about how much you invest into the Apple ecosystem. Data, money, etc. Only you know how much you have invested.

Yup I have a ton of Android apps in limbo from my year with Android. I'll never use them again.

#Naked Tuesday

rMBA13

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 5S is miles ahead of that Nexus 5

I really do hate technology. Once a phone comes out that I buy, and new exciting one hits. Now. Not even a month in from owning my iphone 5S, the nexus 5 comes out and it's enticing me back to android.

It seems like a great device at a great price, and I'm honestly missing certain things about android like widgets, google now, and better integration with google.

But, I JUST got this darn iphone, and I'm on AT&T next to boot. Now I'm considering selling the iPhone, using the money to buy the nexus 5, and continue to pay off the iPhone on AT&T I would then not even have anymore -_-

Someone talk some sense in me, lol.

Or maybe I'll just get the nexus 5 and see how I like it compared to the 5S before selling anything.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73