Talk me off the ledge, guys...

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Just so everyone knows ... Yes white phones are for girls, and they will make you seem less manly ... Just saying.

You must not be much of a man to begin with if people will question your masculinity over the color of the phone you own...just saying

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If the device has the same battery life as the nexus 4, that may be a deal breaker. That was the main annoyance I had with the nexus 4 when I had it. And something I appreciated about the 5S when I was able to get a full days use with it.

The thing with selling the 5S to pay for the nexus 5 is that I did the ATT NEXT program, meaning I still have to pay off the iPhone even if I sell it .

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just so everyone knows ... Yes white phones are for girls, and they will make you seem less manly ... Just saying.

Excuse me, but my bf uses my old white i4 as as iPod Touch and my male coworker has either a white i4 or 4S and they are not less manly for using white phones. Color does not define masculinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me, but my bf uses my old white i4 as as iPod Touch and my male coworker has either a white i4 or 4S and they are not less manly for using white phones. Color does not define masculinity.

I'm pretty sure NQR's comment was in the sarcasm font... at least it is on my MacBook Pro... :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The thing with selling the 5S to pay for the nexus 5 is that I did the ATT NEXT program, meaning I still have to pay off the iPhone even if I sell it .

Sounds like third world problems. You've got work to do if you want first world ones :)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Probably what I'm going to do is save up a bit and get the 32gb nexus 5. I don't want to sell the iPhone in case I decide I want to keep using it instead, but I don't have any money to get the nexus 5 right now. In fact, o got nothing in the bank right now.

I hate it because that should tell me that I need to not spend money on anything right now, but I never seem to listen to that part of my brain.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Before I say my thoughts on this, my Nexus 5 just arrived and is charging as we speak. :) I've been wanting this phone for months, and it was very hard for me to resist buying other phones that came along during that time (Galaxy S4, HTC One, LG G2, Moto X, Galaxy Note 3, etc.). So, suffice to say, my patience was rewarded and I ordered the phone right as it became available.

So my thoughts, and this is coming from an Android guy, but before you buy a phone for its hardware, I'd look at both OS'es (Android and Apple), and figure out which user experience would you enjoy day in and day out? Then, look at both phones, think of the pluses and minuses of both, and in your mind, do you feel you will enjoy the phone for the next year, or more? Both the iPhone 5s and Nexus 5 are spectacular phones in their own right, so you really can't go wrong with either. Anyways, good luck!

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm just not sure on the nexus 5s batterylife. That's the thing I haven't been too happy with my oldnnexus 4.

The thing is, I think I'm hesitant to keep going deeper into apples ecosystem because its not as universal or flexible as Google or androids. For example, Google drive be pages. Drive work on pretty much anything, while pages only works on macs or iOS devices. And if I'm writing a paper for school and need to save it to a flash drive, I can't gurantee I'll have access to a Mac at school.

However, on the flip side, I'm not a fan that I have to troubleshoot more on android than I did iOS when something didn't work. Or I don't need to micromanage battery like on my nexus 4, but maybe that was due to nexus 4 not having a great battery to begin with?

Anyway, I do want to give the nexus 5 a try, but even if I decide to sell the iPhone to pay for it or whatever, I'm still going to need to pay the 700 dollars or whatever I still owe on the iPhone.

How much could I ask for a iPhone 5S on eBay? And what if I sell the iPhone and I end up not liking the nexus 5?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Probably what I'm going to do is save up a bit and get the 32gb nexus 5. I don't want to sell the iPhone in case I decide I want to keep using it instead, but I don't have any money to get the nexus 5 right now. In fact, o got nothing in the bank right now.

I hate it because that should tell me that I need to not spend money on anything right now, but I never seem to listen to that part of my brain.

Bro, think you were in the same predicament leading up to getting your 5S. :) Try this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU&desktop_uri=/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, I think I'm hesitant to keep going deeper into apples ecosystem because its not as universal or flexible as Google or androids. For example, Google drive be pages. Drive work on pretty much anything, while pages only works on macs or iOS devices. And if I'm writing a paper for school and need to save it to a flash drive, I can't gurantee I'll have access to a Mac at school.

One: If you have to go the "Flash Drive" route like a cave man, you can always save Pages documents as a Word file... so if you have to use a PC later, you're covered.

Second: Save your work to iWork for iCloud on iCloud.com, then sign in to Pages for iCloud on any Mac or PC at school and go from there.

However, on the flip side, I'm not a fan that I have to troubleshoot more on android than I did iOS when something didn't work. Or I don't need to micromanage battery like on my nexus 4, but maybe that was due to nexus 4 not having a great battery to begin with?

The Nexus 4 has a 2100mAh battery. The Nexus 5 is 2300mAh. Not exactly a huge difference. Seems like reviews online are stating the Nexus 5 battery life isn't that much of an improvement over the 4.

"With Wi-Fi turned off and LTE activated, the Nexus 5's 2,300mAh non removable battery has a reported talk time of up to 17 hours. When both are activated, Google says, the device lasts 300 hours on standby. Internet tests reportedly yielded 8.5 hours on Wi-Fi and 7 hours on LTE.

While our handset is still undergoing battery testing, preliminary observations show that with brightness levels cranked all the way up, the phone streamed an HD video on LTE for approximately 20 minutes and lost 13 percent of its battery life."
- CNET

Anyway, I do want to give the nexus 5 a try, but even if I decide to sell the iPhone to pay for it or whatever, I'm still going to need to pay the 700 dollars or whatever I still owe on the iPhone.

How much could I ask for a iPhone 5S on eBay? And what if I sell the iPhone and I end up not liking the nexus 5?

So, if you pay $700 to pay off the iPhone, and $399 for the Nexus, you're gonna be roughly $1200 in the hole, after tax and shipping. With an AT&T locked 32gb iPhone 5S in Space Gray, you can maybe sell your iPhone for $600 to $700... give or take... minus shipping, and any eBay and/or PayPal fees.

Worst case, you end up paying the $399 (around $500 after tax/shipping) plus the difference from paying off and selling the iPhone, maybe up to $100... so the Nexus 5 is costing you $600. Not including whatever payments you've already made on the iPhone 5S.

In short, if you don't like your $399 32gb Nexus, you're going to have to sell it, maybe for $350... leaving you down around $250 when all is said and done, and you'd have to buy another iPhone 5S. If you bought another Space Gray 32gb at full retail, you're looking at $750 before taxes. After factoring in taxes and the residual loses from your Nexus 5 experiment, you'd be $1,000 in to get back to the iPhone 5S, which you already have right now.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
One: If you have to go the "Flash Drive" route like a cave man, you can always save Pages documents as a Word file... so if you have to use a PC later, you're covered.

Second: Save your work to iWork for iCloud on iCloud.com, then sign in to Pages for iCloud on any Mac or PC at school and go from there.

The Nexus 4 has a 2100mAh battery. The Nexus 5 is 2300mAh. Not exactly a huge difference. Seems like reviews online are stating the Nexus 5 battery life isn't that much of an improvement over the 4.

"With Wi-Fi turned off and LTE activated, the Nexus 5's 2,300mAh non removable battery has a reported talk time of up to 17 hours. When both are activated, Google says, the device lasts 300 hours on standby. Internet tests reportedly yielded 8.5 hours on Wi-Fi and 7 hours on LTE.

While our handset is still undergoing battery testing, preliminary observations show that with brightness levels cranked all the way up, the phone streamed an HD video on LTE for approximately 20 minutes and lost 13 percent of its battery life."
- CNET

So, if you pay $700 to pay off the iPhone, and $399 for the Nexus, you're gonna be roughly $1200 in the hole, after tax and shipping. With an AT&T locked 32gb iPhone 5S in Space Gray, you can maybe sell your iPhone for $600 to $700... give or take... minus shipping, and any eBay and/or PayPal fees.

Worst case, you end up paying the $399 (around $500 after tax/shipping) plus the difference from paying off and selling the iPhone, maybe up to $100... so the Nexus 5 is costing you $600. Not including whatever payments you've already made on the iPhone 5S.

In short, if you don't like your $399 32gb Nexus, you're going to have to sell it, maybe for $350... leaving you down around $250 when all is said and done, and you'd have to buy another iPhone 5S. If you bought another Space Gray 32gb at full retail, you're looking at $750 before taxes. After factoring in taxes and the residual loses from your Nexus 5 experiment, you'd be $1,000 in to get back to the iPhone 5S, which you already have right now.

We'll, once the iPhone is paid off, I think I can then get another phone 6 months later or whatever under the ATT NEXT plan. Or maybe they'll let me get another right when the phones paid off. Don't know, but if I wanted to go back to the 5S, it wouldn't be 750 upfront. It would be over payments like I'm doing now.

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
We'll, once the iPhone is paid off, I think I can then get another phone 6 months later or whatever under the ATT NEXT plan. Or maybe they'll let me get another right when the phones paid off. Don't know, but if I wanted to go back to the 5S, it wouldn't be 750 upfront. It would be over payments like I'm doing now.

Honestly, I'm not sure.
AT&T's Next plan allows you to upgrade every 12 months, or sooner if you pay your device off before then.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Jmr1015's analysis got me thinking about my time living and working in Southeast Asia. I often wore clothes, shoes, and carried a backpack worth more than the annual salary for an employed college graduate in my area. I didn't have anything extravagant, just normal gear by Western standards.

So with JMR's $1,000 in mind; consider the following:
Burundi in 2007 = Average Annual Per Person Income @ $680 USD
The Republic of Burundi - an Annual Income of $680 Per Person - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Over One Billion People Live on ~ $1.25 USD Per Day
BBC News - Dollar benchmark: The rise of the $1-a-day statistic

The Worlds Average Annual Salary is ~ $18,000
BBC News - What is the world's average wage?

Doing a bit of quick research for the above helped me reset my own perspective. I get caught up in the latest tech trends and stuff just as anyone else. So with this and my "Be Happy, Don't Worry" post above - I hope this helps in your decision making process. I know it's a good reminder for me.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I guess the take away is it's not financially smart to not get the nexus?

When the iPhone is paid off, I'm pretty sure that I'm eligible to get a new one under that program, no ? Of at least eligible soon enough to where if I didn't like the nexus, it wouldn't be too long of a wait.

And while I agree it's important to keep perspective, I don't know if comparing to third world countries works as a complete answer. Yes, they live on less, but they also ale less.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
And it's not like I'm particularly unhappy with iOS or my iPhone. It's just there's some comparability issues I'm running into and , I don't know. I feel a bit more free investing in android and google services than apples.

I'm thinking more in terms if what future headaches might arise if I go all in on iOS.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Investing. That's the key word.

The year I spent on Android I bought a lot of apps and now they are just sitting there in my Google Account.
I've been with IOS since the beginning and some of those old apps still work with iOS 7. I don't feel stuck to iOS because of the app investment iOS really works for me.
It's cool to go back and forth between iOS and Android but personally I need more uniformity.
It's a little different today than say pre iPhone. If you had a Nokia and Moto dropped a hot phone you could just get it without debate because there was no Eco system to buy into. Now when switching phones it's a whole world we have to buy into.
But it's all a personal choice of what gadgets and phones we buy.

#Naked Tuesday

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd really prefer to have the nexus 5 in my hands before deciding to sell the iPhone of not. That way I'm not without a phone for a week or more. So I can't do anything until I get the money to do that.

I'm not sure why I'm wanting to go back to android. I think it's because I'm finding Google is doing more exciting features and things on the software side.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro