I'm just not sure on the nexus 5s batterylife. That's the thing I haven't been too happy with my oldnnexus 4.

The thing is, I think I'm hesitant to keep going deeper into apples ecosystem because its not as universal or flexible as Google or androids. For example, Google drive be pages. Drive work on pretty much anything, while pages only works on macs or iOS devices. And if I'm writing a paper for school and need to save it to a flash drive, I can't gurantee I'll have access to a Mac at school.

However, on the flip side, I'm not a fan that I have to troubleshoot more on android than I did iOS when something didn't work. Or I don't need to micromanage battery like on my nexus 4, but maybe that was due to nexus 4 not having a great battery to begin with?

Anyway, I do want to give the nexus 5 a try, but even if I decide to sell the iPhone to pay for it or whatever, I'm still going to need to pay the 700 dollars or whatever I still owe on the iPhone.

How much could I ask for a iPhone 5S on eBay? And what if I sell the iPhone and I end up not liking the nexus 5?
    One thing to considerif you are using Pages on an iDevice and you save the document to iCloud, you can use any computer Windows or Mac and log onto iCloud.com and get your document.
    11-05-2013 08:30 PM
    Probably what I'm going to do is save up a bit and get the 32gb nexus 5. I don't want to sell the iPhone in case I decide I want to keep using it instead, but I don't have any money to get the nexus 5 right now. In fact, o got nothing in the bank right now.

I hate it because that should tell me that I need to not spend money on anything right now, but I never seem to listen to that part of my brain.
    Bro, think you were in the same predicament leading up to getting your 5S. Try this
    11-05-2013 08:34 PM
    The thing is, I think I'm hesitant to keep going deeper into apples ecosystem because its not as universal or flexible as Google or androids. For example, Google drive be pages. Drive work on pretty much anything, while pages only works on macs or iOS devices. And if I'm writing a paper for school and need to save it to a flash drive, I can't gurantee I'll have access to a Mac at school.
    One: If you have to go the "Flash Drive" route like a cave man, you can always save Pages documents as a Word file... so if you have to use a PC later, you're covered.

Second: Save your work to iWork for iCloud on iCloud.com, then sign in to Pages for iCloud on any Mac or PC at school and go from there.

However, on the flip side, I'm not a fan that I have to troubleshoot more on android than I did iOS when something didn't work. Or I don't need to micromanage battery like on my nexus 4, but maybe that was due to nexus 4 not having a great battery to begin with?
    The Nexus 4 has a 2100mAh battery. The Nexus 5 is 2300mAh. Not exactly a huge difference. Seems like reviews online are stating the Nexus 5 battery life isn't that much of an improvement over the 4.

"With Wi-Fi turned off and LTE activated, the Nexus 5's 2,300mAh non removable battery has a reported talk time of up to 17 hours. When both are activated, Google says, the device lasts 300 hours on standby. Internet tests reportedly yielded 8.5 hours on Wi-Fi and 7 hours on LTE.

While our handset is still undergoing battery testing, preliminary observations show that with brightness levels cranked all the way up, the phone streamed an HD video on LTE for approximately 20 minutes and lost 13 percent of its battery life."
    - CNET

Anyway, I do want to give the nexus 5 a try, but even if I decide to sell the iPhone to pay for it or whatever, I'm still going to need to pay the 700 dollars or whatever I still owe on the iPhone.

How much could I ask for a iPhone 5S on eBay? And what if I sell the iPhone and I end up not liking the nexus 5?
    So, if you pay $700 to pay off the iPhone, and $399 for the Nexus, you're gonna be roughly $1200 in the hole, after tax and shipping. With an AT&T locked 32gb iPhone 5S in Space Gray, you can maybe sell your iPhone for $600 to $700... give or take... minus shipping, and any eBay and/or PayPal fees.

Worst case, you end up paying the $399 (around $500 after tax/shipping) plus the difference from paying off and selling the iPhone, maybe up to $100... so the Nexus 5 is costing you $600. Not including whatever payments you've already made on the iPhone 5S.

In short, if you don't like your $399 32gb Nexus, you're going to have to sell it, maybe for $350... leaving you down around $250 when all is said and done, and you'd have to buy another iPhone 5S. If you bought another Space Gray 32gb at full retail, you're looking at $750 before taxes. After factoring in taxes and the residual loses from your Nexus 5 experiment, you'd be $1,000 in to get back to the iPhone 5S, which you already have right now.
    11-05-2013 09:06 PM
    One: If you have to go the "Flash Drive" route like a cave man, you can always save Pages documents as a Word file... so if you have to use a PC later, you're covered.

Second: Save your work to iWork for iCloud on iCloud.com, then sign in to Pages for iCloud on any Mac or PC at school and go from there.

The Nexus 4 has a 2100mAh battery. The Nexus 5 is 2300mAh. Not exactly a huge difference. Seems like reviews online are stating the Nexus 5 battery life isn't that much of an improvement over the 4.

"With Wi-Fi turned off and LTE activated, the Nexus 5's 2,300mAh non removable battery has a reported talk time of up to 17 hours. When both are activated, Google says, the device lasts 300 hours on standby. Internet tests reportedly yielded 8.5 hours on Wi-Fi and 7 hours on LTE.

While our handset is still undergoing battery testing, preliminary observations show that with brightness levels cranked all the way up, the phone streamed an HD video on LTE for approximately 20 minutes and lost 13 percent of its battery life."
    - CNET

So, if you pay $700 to pay off the iPhone, and $399 for the Nexus, you're gonna be roughly $1200 in the hole, after tax and shipping. With an AT&T locked 32gb iPhone 5S in Space Gray, you can maybe sell your iPhone for $600 to $700... give or take... minus shipping, and any eBay and/or PayPal fees.

Worst case, you end up paying the $399 (around $500 after tax/shipping) plus the difference from paying off and selling the iPhone, maybe up to $100... so the Nexus 5 is costing you $600. Not including whatever payments you've already made on the iPhone 5S.

In short, if you don't like your $399 32gb Nexus, you're going to have to sell it, maybe for $350... leaving you down around $250 when all is said and done, and you'd have to buy another iPhone 5S. If you bought another Space Gray 32gb at full retail, you're looking at $750 before taxes. After factoring in taxes and the residual loses from your Nexus 5 experiment, you'd be $1,000 in to get back to the iPhone 5S, which you already have right now.
    We'll, once the iPhone is paid off, I think I can then get another phone 6 months later or whatever under the ATT NEXT plan. Or maybe they'll let me get another right when the phones paid off. Don't know, but if I wanted to go back to the 5S, it wouldn't be 750 upfront. It would be over payments like I'm doing now.

Honestly, I'm not sure.
    11-05-2013 09:28 PM
    We'll, once the iPhone is paid off, I think I can then get another phone 6 months later or whatever under the ATT NEXT plan. Or maybe they'll let me get another right when the phones paid off. Don't know, but if I wanted to go back to the 5S, it wouldn't be 750 upfront. It would be over payments like I'm doing now.

Honestly, I'm not sure.
    AT&T's Next plan allows you to upgrade every 12 months, or sooner if you pay your device off before then.
    11-05-2013 09:33 PM
    I'm pretty sure NQR's comment was in the sarcasm font... at least it is on my MacBook Pro...
    Thank you!
    11-05-2013 09:48 PM
    Jmr1015's analysis got me thinking about my time living and working in Southeast Asia. I often wore clothes, shoes, and carried a backpack worth more than the annual salary for an employed college graduate in my area. I didn't have anything extravagant, just normal gear by Western standards.

So with JMR's $1,000 in mind; consider the following:
    Burundi in 2007 = Average Annual Per Person Income @ $680 USD
    The Republic of Burundi - an Annual Income of $680 Per Person - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Over One Billion People Live on ~ $1.25 USD Per Day
    BBC News - Dollar benchmark: The rise of the $1-a-day statistic

The Worlds Average Annual Salary is ~ $18,000
    BBC News - What is the world's average wage?

Doing a bit of quick research for the above helped me reset my own perspective. I get caught up in the latest tech trends and stuff just as anyone else. So with this and my "Be Happy, Don't Worry" post above - I hope this helps in your decision making process. I know it's a good reminder for me.
    11-05-2013 09:50 PM
    So I guess the take away is it's not financially smart to not get the nexus?

When the iPhone is paid off, I'm pretty sure that I'm eligible to get a new one under that program, no ? Of at least eligible soon enough to where if I didn't like the nexus, it wouldn't be too long of a wait.

And while I agree it's important to keep perspective, I don't know if comparing to third world countries works as a complete answer. Yes, they live on less, but they also ale less.
    11-05-2013 10:37 PM
    And it's not like I'm particularly unhappy with iOS or my iPhone. It's just there's some comparability issues I'm running into and , I don't know. I feel a bit more free investing in android and google services than apples.

I'm thinking more in terms if what future headaches might arise if I go all in on iOS.
    11-05-2013 10:55 PM
    Investing. That's the key word.

The year I spent on Android I bought a lot of apps and now they are just sitting there in my Google Account.
    I've been with IOS since the beginning and some of those old apps still work with iOS 7. I don't feel stuck to iOS because of the app investment iOS really works for me.
    It's cool to go back and forth between iOS and Android but personally I need more uniformity.
    It's a little different today than say pre iPhone. If you had a Nokia and Moto dropped a hot phone you could just get it without debate because there was no Eco system to buy into. Now when switching phones it's a whole world we have to buy into.
    But it's all a personal choice of what gadgets and phones we buy.

#Naked Tuesday
    11-05-2013 11:45 PM
    I'd really prefer to have the nexus 5 in my hands before deciding to sell the iPhone of not. That way I'm not without a phone for a week or more. So I can't do anything until I get the money to do that.

I'm not sure why I'm wanting to go back to android. I think it's because I'm finding Google is doing more exciting features and things on the software side.
    11-06-2013 12:09 AM
    I'd really prefer to have the nexus 5 in my hands before deciding to sell the iPhone of not. That way I'm not without a phone for a week or more. So I can't do anything until I get the money to do that.

I'm not sure why I'm wanting to go back to android. I think it's because I'm finding Google is doing more exciting features and things on the software side.
    Sounds to me like from an OS standpoint, android is where you want to be and that is fine. But you might want to hop over to androidcentral and visit the Nexus 5 forums if you have not already done so. Seems to be a lot of disappointment from members regarding the camera, battery life, and even the screen quality compared to other flagship android devices. Granted, you will have that to some degree in every forum......but it is running rampent over there.
    11-06-2013 08:56 AM
    Sounds to me like from an OS standpoint, android is where you want to be and that is fine. But you might want to hop over to androidcentral and visit the Nexus 5 forums if you have not already done so. Seems to be a lot of disappointment from members regarding the camera, battery life, and even the screen quality compared to other flagship android devices. Granted, you will have that to some degree in every forum......but it is running rampent over there.
    I myself have been reading up the Nexus 5 forum over there and have to say I'm surprised at the complaints on those two particular things. It's a shame that there isn't an Android phone that can be perfected in every aspect. Makes it harder, for me at least, to consider using an Android phone as a daily driver. Doesn't seem as seamless to use as an Apple product. Maybe I just have the way I use my Apple products down to a T.
    11-06-2013 10:07 AM
    I can speak as an authority on ledge jumping to Android. I have done it nearly two dozen times. You WILL be back. It'll satisfy your itch, but you'll still be paying your NeXT in the meantime. One thing to keep in mind is, unless you have the same exact device you signed up for NeXT with, you'll be making those payments for 20 months, without the option to upgrade in 12. You have to turn in the device you signed on with in order to get the 12 month upgrade. I've been through this, and it took me time to get the 32GB iPhone that I traded away back again. When making your decision, these facts should be considered thoroughly.
    11-06-2013 10:27 AM
    I myself have been reading up the Nexus 5 forum over there and have to say I'm surprised at the complaints on those two particular things.
    I wonder though, like any forum, there's a bit of fanboyism creeping in. I've had my Nexus 5 for almost a day now, and outside of the battery (which will take several days before I comment), I don't have any complaints about it. Having owned or test drove every Nexus iteration, each one has improved in one aspect or another. If they don't like their Nexus 5, I'll be glad to get it off their hands and have two or more at my disposal.
    11-06-2013 12:06 PM
    that is so true. I get a laugh out of reading threads starting with "should I go naked with my phone", or the classic "what case should I buy". then there is the ultimate "my friends say the white phone is for girls, does it make me less manly to own the white" ugh
    Let me go on record and say that I rocked a pink vanity button on my white Note 2 in a Black Otterbox Commuter case, and I feel in NO way challenged about my manhood!
    11-06-2013 02:20 PM
    I wonder though, like any forum, there's a bit of fanboyism creeping in. I've had my Nexus 5 for almost a day now, and outside of the battery (which will take several days before I comment), I don't have any complaints about it. Having owned or test drove every Nexus iteration, each one has improved in one aspect or another. If they don't like their Nexus 5, I'll be glad to get it off their hands and have two or more at my disposal.
    Yeah. The fanboyism is what would override the complaints, in my opinion. I just think Nexus users expected a bigger battery.
    jsarino likes this.
    11-06-2013 02:33 PM
    Get the nexus and use an adapter for the SIM
    I use an adaptor. Works like a charm. Pick one with good reviews so it does not damage your pins.
    11-06-2013 06:39 PM
    Yeah. The fanboyism is what would override the complaints, in my opinion. I just think Nexus users expected a bigger battery.
    The spec leaks were out for nearly a month, so I don't understand why all the whining about the battery. Sure, I would've loved to have the same battery size as the LG G2 (3000 mAh), but it's by no means a dealbreaker for me. Can't please everyone.
    11-07-2013 12:31 AM
    Not sure how battery life on the Nexus 5 is but I assume it is better than the iPhone's...My sister usually has to charge her 5 twice a day, iPhones are efficient but the batteries are still very tiny compared to what some Android phones have
    11-07-2013 12:58 AM

I'd recommend something like the Moto X. You get the Stock Android experience you're looking for in the Nexus 5 but you get much better battery life (from what I've seen) and you still get the small form factor as on an iPhone AND with a much larger screen.
    Moto X is as seamless as Android will get. Definitely the best of both worlds
    jsarino and tack like this.
    11-07-2013 01:05 AM
    Let me go on record and say that I rocked a pink vanity button on my white Note 2 in a Black Otterbox Commuter case, and I feel in NO way challenged about my manhood!
    It should have, that's just wrong !!! Lines have to be drawn somewhere ...
    11-07-2013 11:20 AM
    I'd recommend something like the Moto X. You get the Stock Android experience you're looking for in the Nexus 5 but you get much better battery life (from what I've seen) and you still get the small form factor as on an iPhone AND with a much larger screen.
    Moto X is as seamless as Android will get. Definitely the best of both worlds
    If it wasn't for the Nexus 5 coming out, I was seriously considering the Moto X or the LG G2. The specs might be mid-range (for an Android phone), but the UI blows away any other Android phone out there, even better than my Nexus 5. I would like a phone to always be listening even when on idle (Nexus 5 can only do this when awake), and I like the notification feature where you don't have to wake your phone to see it. That, and thousands of color combinations to choose from with Moto Maker. I think the Moto X is the sleeper Android phone to have.
    11-07-2013 12:17 PM
    I really just don't know what to do.

I don't have any money in the bank right now, so I'll have to wait for at least 3 pay checks before having enough for the 32gb nexus 5. Then if I decide I want to keep it, I'll then have to sell the iPhone and use that money to payoff the iPhone on AT&T next.

But then I'll still be in the hole financially. My adult self is yelling to just be happy with what I have now because I'll be screwing myself over if I continue spending like I am, but my tech self is saying go for it.
    11-07-2013 04:09 PM
    I really just don't know what to do.

I don't have any money in the bank right now, so I'll have to wait for at least 3 pay checks before having enough for the 32gb nexus 5. Then if I decide I want to keep it, I'll then have to sell the iPhone and use that money to payoff the iPhone on AT&T next.

But then I'll still be in the hole financially. My adult self is yelling to just be happy with what I have now because I'll be screwing myself over if I continue spending like I am, but my tech self is saying go for it.
    I feel you on that.
    11-07-2013 04:22 PM
121 12345