I saw an article in this link that says that this is exactly what one of the smaller wireless carriers is offering to its customers now. Wireless carrier offers rollover data - CBS News

What does everyone think of this? Would you switch carriers if one of the leading carriers in your area offered rollover data plans and your carrier didn't?

I still have a grandfather unlimited data plan with AT&T so this isn't something I would look at yet. However, if I didn't have my unlimited plan and another carrier like Verizon were offering this, knowing what their coverage is like in my area, I would probably consider switching provided that the price of the plan wasn't too high.
    10-31-2013 09:56 PM
    I Can Only Hope That This Takes Off For Bigger Carriers... That Will Only Happen If One Of The Big 4 Do It Though...

Sent From The State Of Ohio...
    10-31-2013 11:04 PM
    That would be a fantastic feature. I think AT&T might as well, as their rollover minutes feature is really great.
    10-31-2013 11:12 PM
    I also have an unlimited data plan with AT&T. But as soon as this goes away, I would love the rollover data as long as the price is not too high....

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    10-31-2013 11:21 PM
    One of my cousins with Verizon said she grandfathered in & if she upgrades she loses it. I hope AT&T doesn't force you in a few years to change even though you are grandfathered in. Wonder how many have unlimited data AT&T? Do they lose a little money because of the people that are?
    10-31-2013 11:40 PM
    That would be great for people on carriers with limited data.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    11-01-2013 10:56 AM
    Very interesting question.
    11-01-2013 10:58 AM
    That would be great.
    11-01-2013 11:07 AM
    I personally don't think they should have data limited to begin with, looking at what we pay for it and what it takes for the carrier to offer it. That said, yes, I think at the very least if you don't use data you've paid for, you should get it on the next cycle. This would be especially helpful for people who pay $10 (or whatever amount your carrier charges) for overage fees...considering many times you'll go over by a hair, they'll charge you the full price and you'll never end up using it.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    11-01-2013 11:24 AM
    Rollover has never really impressed me all that much. Like a lot of other carrier schemes if you're taking data with you every month that probably just means you're paying for too much of it. There are always exceptions, but for the general public it was always more of a marketing scheme to justify offering plans that didn't fit usage patterns by providing a false sense of security. Hey, you're fine paying more for this made up number - you get to keep it when you pay for the next set of made up numbers.

But hey: it's the carrier's world - we just live in it. Take what we can get.
    11-01-2013 12:11 PM
    This would be very helpful in Canada especially those who go to a cottage during the summer

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using Tapatalk.
    11-01-2013 12:57 PM
    One of my cousins with Verizon said she grandfathered in & if she upgrades she loses it. I hope AT&T doesn't force you in a few years to change even though you are grandfathered in. Wonder how many have unlimited data AT&T? Do they lose a little money because of the people that are?
    So far AT&T has been good about not removing or changing the terms for keeping our unlimited data.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    11-01-2013 05:12 PM
    Yes they have. Let's hope they keep it that way for us loyal customers who have been with them for years without switching.
    11-01-2013 09:57 PM
    Wouldn't benefit me.

If I had spare data left over at the end of the month (and I always do), it means that I am using less data than my cap allows. If I am already ending each month with unused 4g data, then any more would be pointless.

My usage pattern is pretty standard each month, so there's unlikely to be a scenario where I suddenly have to bust my cap.
    11-02-2013 10:27 AM
    Yes. Sign me up!
    11-02-2013 10:47 AM
    Wouldn't benefit me.

If I had spare data left over at the end of the month (and I always do), it means that I am using less data than my cap allows. If I am already ending each month with unused 4g data, then any more would be pointless.

My usage pattern is pretty standard each month, so there's unlikely to be a scenario where I suddenly have to bust my cap.
    I see your point. But I'd rather have that data I paid for in my back pocket than to not get to have it at all. Regardless of whether I use it or not. It's mine. I paid for it, after all.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    11-02-2013 05:37 PM
    I see your point. But I'd rather have that data I paid for in my back pocket than to not get to have it at all. Regardless of whether I use it or not. It's mine. I paid for it, after all.
    I won't say no to extra data either (which as you said, is rightfully mine). But after a point, all the data would just be a meaningless number because you know you will never use it.

What I would like, is for the freedom to use my data as I see fit. Why should I have to pay extra every month for a multi-sim to use on my iPad or mobile router? Or even for the privilege of tethering from my phone? So long as I don't bust my data cap, they should all come from the same data bundle.
    11-02-2013 09:08 PM
    Instead of rollover minutes maybe they should give us credits on our bill for data that we don't use. I'm sure that would never happen though.
    11-02-2013 09:29 PM
    I am thinking that the carriers could get most people to move to the family shared plans IF they offered rollover data... I’d sure strongly consider it...
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    11-02-2013 11:08 PM
    Instead of rollover minutes maybe they should give us credits on our bill for data that we don't use. I'm sure that would never happen though.
    I am sitting on over 12K rollover minutes... between M2M, M2anyM, the 'A' list and 1600 minutes a month, we will never use them all. Everyone texts these days... and uses tons of data...

I’d really like to see them do something to compensate for minutes that I’m not using... bill credit and/or data banking of some sort would be awesome... but you’re right, Karen... we’ll never see that. *sigh*
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    11-02-2013 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD