Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering buying the new iPad Air. I have a Google Nexus 4 and mostly use Google apps and cloud offerings (music play, Drive, Gmail, G maps). I find Google Now to be very useful for me.

Getting an iPad would give me access to a new apps and more tablet-optimized apps, but would my investment in Google's system pose a problem? I know I can download all those apps I mentioned on the iPad, but would I essentially be punished by not using Apple's apps? I wouldn't want to be wasting a lot of the iPad's functionality.

I'm not horribly concerned, as I plan to keep using Nexus smart phones, but this is something I want to think through before making a purchase.

I wasn't sure which forum to ask this in.

Thanks!
    10-27-2013 08:18 PM
    Yes, you can continue to use your favorite Google services with the iPad, and whether or not you'll miss out on using Apple services will depend on your needs. A lot of people have iPad, but do not use iCloud and/or use certain Apple services as an enhancement to the services they already enjoy. Maybe you will too. Having said that, go ahead and get the new iPad Air, and if you need any help, you'll find it here at iMore. Take care...
    ghundiraj likes this.
    10-27-2013 08:39 PM
    Nope. No punishment or other handicaps for using Google services and not using Apple's. Although you may want to turn on iCloud backups at least.
    10-27-2013 08:54 PM
    The iPad supports all the Google services you mentioned (except for Google Play Music; that's where iTunes comes in). I use gmail, google contacts, google calendar, google drive, and google search with no issues. Coming from Google devices myself, I can promise that you won't be disappointed with the iPad, especially the iPad Air. It looks like a sweet piece of tech!
    10-27-2013 09:22 PM
    Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering buying the new iPad Air. I have a Google Nexus 4 and mostly use Google apps and cloud offerings (music play, Drive, Gmail, G maps). I find Google Now to be very useful for me.

Getting an iPad would give me access to a new apps and more tablet-optimized apps, but would my investment in Google's system pose a problem? I know I can download all those apps I mentioned on the iPad, but would I essentially be punished by not using Apple's apps? I wouldn't want to be wasting a lot of the iPad's functionality.

I'm not horribly concerned, as I plan to keep using Nexus smart phones, but this is something I want to think through before making a purchase.

I wasn't sure which forum to ask this in.

Thanks!
    All the features that are provided on iPads are there for you to use.
    Not using any of them is not going to have the Hammer of Doom bang on your head.

Although, even if you are heavily invested in G-services, it won't hurt to take a gander over to what's in your hand (once you have the iPad Air).
    You might just find something that is similar to what G-services offer, maybe better.

Then you would really be in a better position to evaluate the ease of use and decide accordingly.
    That said, if you still continue using G-services on the iPad Air, no one will threaten you, beat you up, burn you or come and haunt you in your dreams (I'm not really sure about the last one :P )

LP&HG
    10-30-2013 05:36 AM
    iOS has a lot of competing content providers to Apple. I'm split between Google and Amazon myself from years of being on Android. Thankfully, there are apps for all my content. You can even adjust your dock apps. For instance, I replaced Apple's stock media player with Amazon Cloud Player on my iPod Touch so I'd have all my tunes ready to go.

One bad thing is if you have a lot of paid apps, you will have to rebuy. Many apps are on both platforms (and often run better on iOS but that'd another thread) though so if you have an Android app you really like you can probably get a version for the iPad

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4
    10-30-2013 08:03 AM
    Anytime you're ingrained into an ecosystem...making a switch to a new and completely separated system is going to present a list of obstacles, but it will primarily be monetary, since the functionality you seek will require you to purchase new apps. This is the only "problem" I can see arising from you buying an iPad in the situation you're currently in.
    10-30-2013 09:28 AM
    I have the best of both worlds. Usually I have my iPhone and an android phone. I also have my iPad that I take with me everywhere and an android tablet that I use around the house. I love both, can't help it.
    10-30-2013 01:54 PM
    Thanks for the advice (and lack of dream haunting)!

I have mostly downloaded free apps, so having to purchase new ones don't factor into my decision. I tried out the iPad Air in person for the first time over the weekend; it is indeed sweet. I'll probably wait a month or 2 to see what (if anything) Google introduces on the Nexus line.
    11-04-2013 11:19 PM
    With the exception of Google Now and possibly push gmail, the rest of Google's services actually work very well on IOS devices (no surprise, Google reportedly earns a large chunk of their revenue from the IOS platform, so they have huge incentive to make their apps work as well as possible to entice consumers to use them).

The only issue I can think of is the lack of integration of Google's apps. For instance, Google Maps (since Apple is notorious for favouring their own apps, or Apple Maps in this case) with other apps and services. Likewise, if you use the gmail app, and ask Siri to check your mail, Siri will check the native mail app, rather than whatever other email app you use, and there is no way around this. Likewise, tapping a link will open that page in Safari, instead of Chrome.

The inability to set default apps may be a turnoff, but at least IOS's native apps work pretty well as they are. Apple also has quite a few Apple-only features like shared photo stream and iMessage which aren't really compatible with other non-Apple devices.

In a nutshell, it might take a little getting used to, but I doubt you will be negatively impacted by Apple's closed ecosystem. There are plenty of cross-platform apps and services like dropbox and evernote to keep your data synced across both devices.
    11-05-2013 07:37 AM
    Great advice...

Moving to iOS has one big advantage ecosystem wise, you won't be taking a step back. As already noted, there might be a financial tax, but hey. if you're not into rooting, I don't see a lot of issues.
    11-05-2013 02:05 PM