2 Year Refresh Cycle

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Every year with every product and software release, "people" complain that Apple is "losing their edge" or "innovation". These people want mind blowing devices/software to change with every release.

Of course technology companies are forced into this vicious cycle by customer demand and expectation.

Apple is doing what they can when it comes to hardware/software. They are releasing thinner, lighter devices and a new iOS version, but people still want more EVERY YEAR and is just isn't possible.

iPhone 5 comes out, bigger screen, different backplate. 5s comes out, different internals, but people complain because it looks the same. Same for iPads.

My opinion is that if companies would build a new device, then spend the next full year tweaking the software and ridding bugs, and start planning a hardware change, consumers would be more excited when the new release come out. Most people don't upgrade every year or skip a newer model because it doesn't offer them much more than their current model.

With that said, does anyone else think Apple (or any company for that matter) should adopt a 2 year refresh policy?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not at all. They're successful with a 1 year refresh cycle...overly successful one could say. And it keeps technology updates freshly in the hands of the consumer. I think they've found a sweet spot as they have it set up now, which borrows pieces of what you desired by doing an "S" model every other year, essentially giving you a brand new phone every 2 years (as you preferred).

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Successful, most definitely!!! Android phone come out by the minute, so I agree with that as well.

I guess what I want as a consumer, is a follow through with a OS. Their hardware is great, but there are plenty of inconsistencies with iOS 6 still. I know I can upgrade to 7, but there are inconsistencies there as well. The software refresh every year never seems to be worked out before releasing a new version, and its not just apple and it could be worse, like android.

I guess work out the kinks for a year or two before releasing another version.

I'm sure developers would appreciate not updating their apps on a yearly cycle.

I work in IT and when we deploy a new software, we plan for every scenario, but we don't design or build the software. So I feel tech companies try to plan for every scenario, even though it is an almost impossible feat.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If you see my other posts, there are plenty of inconsistencies in 6 yet. So my thread was meant more towards OS 2 year cycle. I mean NC doesn't work consistently and it is not bugs. I just think iOS could use some fine tuning throughout the year and maybe another year before another iOS is released.

Let apple change the version number so people feel they are getting something "brand new" but just work out the kinks.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I sit at 6.1.3 and there are still plenty of issues. So I guess we will see when 7 hits 7.1.3 and see what is fixed.

But rather then ANY software maker creating an almost bug free, they blast out "new" stuff since the consumers drive capitalism.

There will always be "bugs", but some software needs to be tweaked to build further upon it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple should not alter its release cycle when it is proving to be so successful. People will always want something new and, as you've stated, some even want to be wowed with each release. That's not going to happen. Far too many people want a loaded device that they can brag about, but yet, use only 10% of its function. #smh. That's not going to change either so Apple should simply keep doing what it's doing.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
You're wright there will always be bugs, but have to say Apple is one of the best I've seen at doing what they can for fixes.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You're wright there will always be bugs, but have to say Apple is one of the best I've seen at doing what they can for fixes.

And I agree with you on that. I was simply trying to take a poll if anyone thinks software makers should invest more time into covering most scenarios for the end user experience.

There is still a bug in iCloud about birthdays displaying for deleted contacts, and that has been around for almost 3 years I believe. Although that issue isn't particularly pressing, it has gotten enough attention that one might think Apple would fix.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And I agree with you on that. I was simply trying to take a poll if anyone thinks software makers should invest more time into covering most scenarios for the end user experience.

There is still a bug in iCloud about birthdays displaying for deleted contacts, and that has been around for almost 3 years I believe. Although that issue isn't particularly pressing, it has gotten enough attention that one might think Apple would fix.

A device will never be 100% perfect upon release, even with 2 years of polish. Delaying release cycles will not solve the little bugs you find in major OS releases because these bugs typically don't show themselves until they've hit the major usage market after release (or at least aren't as noticeable).

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is 100% but I hold Apple to a higher standard for the sole reason; they make both the hardware and software. Android is made by Google and then hardware manufacturers have to design motherboards, processors, etc... around what Android can handle to be efficient. I held blackberry to a higher standard as well.

With that said, Apple has a few devices that get their updates, so should they test each model with the new OS to make sure the "basics" work properly and consistently??? I mean we hear about WiFi bugs from the 4s and newer. That's only 3 phones they must test for, plus now the iPads.

I don't care if third party apps don't work properly, just the Apple made apps and OS.

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Every year with every product and software release, "people" complain that Apple is "losing their edge" or "innovation". These people want mind blowing devices/software to change with every release.

With that said, does anyone else think Apple (or any company for that matter) should adopt a 2 year refresh policy?

Users are going to whine even if you released an iPhone that made them coffee, folded their sheets and wiped their bottoms for them. They would complain it makes no noise while doing all this, so I don't know whether it's working or not :p

I like the 1 year between product refreshes. And I don't think there's any say Apple could go to 2 years when there seems to be a new Android flagship phone every other month.

I think regardless of the Android releases (because they have multiple manufacturers for the phones and also a HUGE developer community doing most of their work for them, Apple should continue with their Annual release cycles! If I was making millions every year, trying to have a 2-year refresh cycle would taper my inflow during the last months at the end of the 2-year cycle (with everyone waiting for the new model). With an annual refresh, you don't notice that since even the year-old has a tremendous market and will change hands easily...

LP&HG

Last edited:

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Apple should not alter its release cycle when it is proving to be so successful. People will always want something new and, as you've stated, some even want to be wowed with each release. That's not going to happen. Far too many people want a loaded device that they can brag about, but yet, use only 10% of its function. #smh. That's not going to change either so Apple should simply keep doing what it's doing.

I don't agree with this, I must say they deliberately went the way they have been going because they chose to... This implies that Apple could go the way of the Android in terms of spec cycles, but they didn't. You can't say Apple did the way they did because it was successful because they haven't been doing otherwise...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nothing is 100% but I hold Apple to a higher standard for the sole reason; they make both the hardware and software. Android is made by Google and then hardware manufacturers have to design motherboards, processors, etc... around what Android can handle to be efficient. I held blackberry to a higher standard as well.

With that said, Apple has a few devices that get their updates, so should they test each model with the new OS to make sure the "basics" work properly and consistently??? I mean we hear about WiFi bugs from the 4s and newer. That's only 3 phones they must test for, plus now the iPads.

I don't care if third party apps don't work properly, just the Apple made apps and OS.

There's a lot more to it than just 3 phones...the iOS operating system touches so many levels of Apple's ecosystem that pretty much every device they sell (from notebook computers, desktops, phones, tablets, iPods, Apple TV, etc), they ALL have to be prepared, tested and developed in relation to a new iOS release (or even a small update). The problem with your approach is that you're getting hung up on every issue, whether it's isolated or wide spread...and it really doesn't matter how much effort ANY company puts towards a new release, problems are going to exist. Thankfully with Apple, they are able to minimize wide spread problems about as good (if not better) than any other manufacturer. And the real beauty? They're the only one making both the hardware and software and having to cover both (and ultimately, taking the blame on both)...that's a pretty big target for a company who releases products with the reliability we've experienced over the years.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it works as well, but here is my mindset. I freelance websites for a side job. I design every site to be cross browser compatible, IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Flock, Opera, etc? as well as mobile. I make sure my code will make every single browser display to same style throughout. Also if someone does not have flash or java installed on their machine, I make sure the content can still be displayed without using flash and java.

So that is where I am coming from, a single person covering all bases and scenarios with what I design.

Again, I know it's extremely important consumers get a newly "labeled" OS every year because that is what they expect. Maybe the "label" should increase, but instead of added hundreds of new features with each release, fix the features that are broken before the new release.

As I said before, maybe not everyone uses iCloud.com, but I think enough people do that Apple would fix how it syncs to devices. The calendar issue has been around for 3 years, Apple promoted it as a main feature, and yet it still does not work consistently.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My opinion is that if companies would build a new device, then spend the next full year tweaking the software and ridding bugs, and start planning a hardware change, consumers would be more excited when the new release come out. Most people don't upgrade every year or skip a newer model because it doesn't offer them much more than their current model.

You could say Apple is already doing this right now. Starting with the iPhone 3G each model the year after has been the same with internal and software changes. The "S" versions are refined models of the original from the year before.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it works as well, but here is my mindset. I freelance websites for a side job. I design every site to be cross browser compatible, IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Flock, Opera, etc… as well as mobile. I make sure my code will make every single browser display to same style throughout. Also if someone does not have flash or java installed on their machine, I make sure the content can still be displayed without using flash and java.

So that is where I am coming from, a single person covering all bases and scenarios with what I design.

Again, I know it's extremely important consumers get a newly "labeled" OS every year because that is what they expect. Maybe the "label" should increase, but instead of added hundreds of new features with each release, fix the features that are broken before the new release.

As I said before, maybe not everyone uses iCloud.com, but I think enough people do that Apple would fix how it syncs to devices. The calendar issue has been around for 3 years, Apple promoted it as a main feature, and yet it still does not work consistently.

The thing is, for the vast majority of the consumer base, there are NO broken features...the iPhone works perfectly as it sits, functions flawlessly for a pretty staggering % of the users, and when the complaints pop up here and there about functionality issues that people like me or you find, Apple does their best to address it, but their focus is to keep the majority happy. Now that doesn't mean they never fix bugs, they fix them all the time...even to a point where I'd say they are very driven to address isolated problems.

And then we get into the approach that Apple should more actively ready their devices for functions outside of their eco-system...while this would be nice for people that venture in that direction (IE: iCloud, as you mentioned), Apple is invested in these components of their environment, thus making it a bit naive to think they'd have a main focus on outer system syncing (when they're really only responsible for one end of it in those scenarios).

To be honest, I use Calendar every day...I have mine chalk full of appointments, meetings, birthdays...really anything you could think of to add, and I do a lot of this now with Siri and synced with my macbook pro...in my experience, it works near flawlessly, and any issues I've found in the past have been fixed or were an issue on my part. You keep referencing that calendar "issue", but you discuss iOS as if a vast majority of the OS has an issue...and looking at the world outside of iOS, with the issues that are consistent out there, I think we're sitting pretty damn good.

Those who look for problems will always find it. I think that's some sound advice from a fortune cookie somewhere.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone think that maybe one day Apple will get left behind in terms of specifications that they are going to be so backdated eventually? At the rate they are going?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone think that maybe one day Apple will get left behind in terms of specifications that they are going to be so backdated eventually? At the rate they are going?

Not at all. Why do you feel they are backdated? They bring new technology to their devices every single year, some of it is ahead of the competition, some of it is in line with the competition, and some of it is in fact behind the other devices on the market...but do you want to know where they still maintain a lead even in that arena? The functionality that Apple falls behind on (let's use NFC for example) are always something that, once implemented, has near flawless functionality (the typical Apple "polish" so to speak), and almost instantly becomes an industry standard. To be perfectly honest, I think developers eagerly await the addition of features to the iPhone vs. any other device out there because they know once it gets to that point, they are set. This is not to say that these features aren't heavily popular on other devices, but you can see just on market numbers, the iPhone truly does establish things (IE: the fingerprint scanning tech on the 5S...which has been around awhile, but now is almost something you'll expect on all smart phones from here on out).

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2