If apple acquired blackberry.

TheStoryUp

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
If anything apple should lose home button, not add a keyboard. Tbh iPhone is a really basic device with not many features compared to the competition. Apps are really the only thing it's got, and a good camera, its slow to navigate I found. I think it's more of a fashion statement than anything. I think it's way over priced cause they are missing a lot off hardware the competition offers. Idk but a keyboard on an iPhone isn't going to reach their target market. IMO

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
It's nice to get all sentimental, but really can't we just let BlackBerry die in peace with some dignity left? Let's be honest there's absolutely no reason for Apple to acquire BlackBerry ...

CardsFan314

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
If anything apple should lose home button, not add a keyboard. Tbh iPhone is a really basic device with not many features compared to the competition. Apps are really the only thing it's got, and a good camera, its slow to navigate I found. I think it's more of a fashion statement than anything. I think it's way over priced cause they are missing a lot off hardware the competition offers. Idk but a keyboard on an iPhone isn't going to reach their target market. IMO

This could be said for all smartphones. Why buy a device that lacks 3rd party support?

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
It's nice to get all sentimental, but really can't we just let BlackBerry die in peace with some dignity left? Let's be honest there's absolutely no reason for Apple to acquire BlackBerry ...

Corporate security patents. Qnx in iOS and all the other millions of patents blackberry owns. Just because they don't do anything with it doesn't mean nobody will. I'd love to see iOS operate with swipes like bb10 does. You can lose the home button and own the company that made the qnx software.

Sent from my Gameboy Color

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
If Apple bought BB, this forum would need two or three dozen more moderators. The BB fanboys would swamp this site with rantings, and iMore would have to stop functioning, to get it all sorted out. "AppleBerry"? I LOVE IT!!!!!!:):):)

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I was making this thread under the context of if they did, not how they would.

I am jut curious if you would be interested or not :p

Understand that.
If Apple were to do this, I want them to make it into more fine tuned to a super efficient communication/PIM oriented device, sort of like a "super Bold" type one, that the traditional BBers have been craving for.
They should also incorporate all these "little moments of delight" that were available in the legacy (classic) BBs, while retaining Apple's DNA and eco system (iCloud sync etc).
Then I will buy it. But I will always retain my iPhone anyway.
They can make a killing by stealing this concept from BBRY, while BBRY is stumbling around by trying to emulate the iPhone, having lost the traditional BB users' market, LOL.
I've been an iPhone user since its inception in 2007 (Apple user for over a quarter century :), but lately rocking a small BB as a daily driver just for the efficiency.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
As a side note, what the keyboard attracts me is the ability for the keyboard shortcuts, not necessarily for the typing. I am comfortable enough with the iPhone touch keyboard, and do not particularly consider the keyboard just for a typing device.
IF Apple were to make a specialized communication/PIM keyboard device, I want them to add a bit of Apple "flavour" to it, that is, an ability to create "macro" using the keyboard.
There is a little app called "ShortcutMe"" in the BB world, which enables users to create all sort of shortcuts.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Corporate security patents. Qnx in iOS and all the other millions of patents blackberry owns. Just because they don't do anything with it doesn't mean nobody will. I'd love to see iOS operate with swipes like bb10 does. You can lose the home button and own the company that made the qnx software.

Apparently you overestimate the importance of those patents ... BlackBerry has been grasping at straws for at least 5 years now, Totally obtainable, and nobodies interested. Not Apple, not Google, Not Microsoft, or Samsung. I believe it's time for you to dry your tears, and face reality, It's time to put a fork in them, BlackBerry's done ...

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
You can already create keyboard shortcuts in iOS at least if you mean "text expansion" type of shortcuts where typing "omw" changes to "On my way!"

Yes, I know, but what I am talking about is the real "macro" that you can program certain actions by keyboard combinations.
I have never used the ShortcutMe app, but I like the concept. As I understand it, the app will enable creation of any actions you like by programming 3 keys. BB legacy devices have sufficient keyboard shortcuts, but I often wanted my own action programs.
Then again, the title of the thread is "if Apple acquired Blackberry". If they did, only obvious option Apple might be remotely interested in would be a keyboard device. Apple has been just fine without any interaction with BBRY and will continue to be so.
But seeing the fiasco by BBRY lately, I thought somebody else might "raid" the point missed by BBRY. But it is hardly likely that it's going to be Apple, who might acquire BBRY. They might be interested in the BBRY's NOC arrangement, if the price is right.
Otherwise, the thread would be a great entertainment piece :).

Last edited:

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Apparently you overestimate the importance of those patents ... BlackBerry has been grasping at straws for at least 5 years now, Totally obtainable, and nobodies interested. Not Apple, not Google, Not Microsoft, or Samsung. I believe it's time for you to dry your tears, and face reality, It's time to put a fork in them, BlackBerry's done ...

Last I checked, 5 years ago BlackBerry was at the top of the smartphone game, and QNX was owned by someone else. There struggles and decline started towards the end of 2010 and it's been downhill since then. However, it's only been recently that they've put the for sale sign up, or "looking into strategic alternatives" as they call it. So no, they haven't been "grasping at straws" for at least the 5 years.

I do agree though that BlackBerry as we know it in its current form is done. They may evolve into some sort of software and services company, some sort of niche enterprise company or they may be deconstructed and their patents sold off, no one really knows.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
asking really interested questions about keyboard with idevice its look too different......... i don't think so that apple should do this in future if do then everybody is want some unique as they lovers of apple mania a Prime status in hand that i have a worlds latest mobile of APPLE :cool:

I think you want to say....

This is an interesting question about the keyboard but it would make the idevices look very different. I don' think Apple should do this n the future. If they do then everybody would want Apple to change to some unique feature. Apple has many fans and it is a prime status device that people around the world like to show they have the latest Apple mobile device.

Did I get that somewhat right? I read loads of translated documents so I attempted to change it up a bit. If I got it wrong then please accept my apologies.

Would you be willing to 'shadow' maeshishnd around the forums?
Cuz I never know what he's trying to say. :confused:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
So I was thinking the other day about how much I miss my physical keyboard but I also love the app selection of iOS and android.

My question to you guys and gals is

If apple made a device with a keyboard like a q10 running iOS would you
A) buy it
B) consider it
C) not even bother.

Just a generic question. I'm using tapatalk so I cannot create a poll so I'll just listen to the comments and see if your guys and gals agree or disagree.

Entertain us in this thread by picking up a phone with a physical keyboard after using a virtual keyboard for 6 months. Reason is I hated my iPhone keyboard coming from a Palm Pre2 keyboard well last weekend I had to get some info off my priced custom Pre2 and I was actually cursing the keyboard I claimed to not being able to live without

Life is funny sometimes

Sent from my iPhone 5

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Entertain us in this thread by picking up a phone with a physical keyboard after using a virtual keyboard for 6 months. Reason is I hated my iPhone keyboard coming from a Palm Pre2 keyboard well last weekend I had to get some info off my priced custom Pre2 and I was actually cursing the keyboard I claimed to not being able to live without

Life is funny sometimes

Sent from my iPhone 5

This is because people adapt to something after using it for awhile. Muscle memory kicks in.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

Life is funny sometimes

Sent from my iPhone 5

At one point I had both a blackberry and an iPhone and I agree. I ended up finding it harder to type on the blackberry than the iPhone and I have been using a BlackBerry for years and my work just gave us the iPhones.

I do miss the blackberry keyboard sometimes but SwiftKey has got me missing I it less and less every day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods