If you were in the market for a used MacBook Pro or Air, how old could you possibly go for and still not only be a able to get the latest OS, but get the most out of it, upgrading components (ie: SSD, RAM) where necessary?
    10-25-2013 05:39 PM
    If you were in the market for a used MacBook Pro or Air, how old could you possibly go for and still not only be a able to get the latest OS, but get the most out of it, upgrading components (ie: SSD, RAM) where necessary?
    I have a 2009 MacBook that is fully upgradeable and supports OS X Mavericks... I believe that the 2008 unibody MacBooks also will support OS X Mavericks.

And while not upgradeable in the least (memory is soldered, SSD is, at minimum, proprietary), all but the original MacBook Air should run OS X Mavericks without any issue.
    jsarino likes this.
    10-25-2013 05:48 PM
    Like Fausty82 has already stated, at least back to the early 2009 models.
    jsarino likes this.
    10-25-2013 05:50 PM
    If you search on Wikipedia, it will tell you what the maximum supported os is for each model and year.

Heres a link: MacBook Pro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will also tell you all the spec in one place. Its rather awesome!
    jsarino likes this.
    10-25-2013 06:07 PM
    I truly think in the current era of Macs...you'd be shooting yourself in the foot a bit to invest into anything older than when the Sandy Bridge processors were implemented...which was early 2011 with the i5 and i7 variants. Not to say there's anything wrong with the 2009's or 2010's, but as the OS develops, grows and expands, you'll want a processor that stays relevant longer, and starting in early 2011, you're buying into the newer age of Intel chip sets.

If you're really wanting the ability to customize the internals yourself...you have to avoid the retina models. They are a much more "locked down" variant, giving you little in the way of modification options (sometimes none at all). The non-retina MBP's are capable of up to 16GB of RAM (on most models), dual storage drive builds (HDD + SSD or SSD + SSD), and the internals are so much cheaper (as they are not proprietary pieces at all, and also not welded to the logic board (in regards to RAM).
    jsarino and Ipheuria like this.
    10-25-2013 07:32 PM
    Try to find a 2012 MacBook Air. They can be had for a couple of hundred under new. Also check out apple refurbs.
    jsarino likes this.
    10-25-2013 08:24 PM
    ^^^I've considered that model year too (see below). Thanks for the responses so far!

I truly think in the current era of Macs...you'd be shooting yourself in the foot a bit to invest into anything older than when the Sandy Bridge processors were implemented...which was early 2011 with the i5 and i7 variants. Not to say there's anything wrong with the 2009's or 2010's, but as the OS develops, grows and expands, you'll want a processor that stays relevant longer, and starting in early 2011, you're buying into the newer age of Intel chip sets.

If you're really wanting the ability to customize the internals yourself...you have to avoid the retina models. They are a much more "locked down" variant, giving you little in the way of modification options (sometimes none at all). The non-retina MBP's are capable of up to 16GB of RAM (on most models), dual storage drive builds (HDD + SSD or SSD + SSD), and the internals are so much cheaper (as they are not proprietary pieces at all, and also not welded to the logic board (in regards to RAM).
    Thanks, my BFF. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the 2011 and newer MBP's that have the i5-i7 variants, or the 2012 or so Airs. I like being able to modify (should be no surprise to you all coming from an Android guy ) the internals, so it's good to know the non-Retina models are not locked down. I'm looking around for some at the right price, and looking to get one in a month or two. Trying to sell my Chromebook first, and getting a Nexus 5 (another story for another discussion ) before I pull the trigger on one. This might be the ideal time of the year to get a MBP or Air, since people may be desperate to unload one to get money for the holidays.
    10-25-2013 11:48 PM
    ^^^I've considered that model year too (see below). Thanks for the responses so far!

Thanks, my BFF. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the 2011 and newer MBP's that have the i5-i7 variants, or the 2012 or so Airs. I like being able to modify (should be no surprise to you all coming from an Android guy ) the internals, so it's good to know the non-Retina models are not locked down. I'm looking around for some at the right price, and looking to get one in a month or two. Trying to sell my Chromebook first, and getting a Nexus 5 (another story for another discussion ) before I pull the trigger on one. This might be the ideal time of the year to get a MBP or Air, since people may be desperate to unload one to get money for the holidays.
    Anytime BFF...

A few small details about the 2011's vs. the 2012's...the 2012 variants got larger hard drives than the 2011's (13" models anyways)...I think it was 320GB for 2011, and then bumped up to 500GB for the 2012. All of them should come with 4GB of RAM, but 8GB RAM kits are so cheap, that should be one of the first mods done (even the 16GB ones are fairly inexpensive, and while mine has it, I don't think it really NEEDS it).

Processors got a tiny bump too...I think they moved from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. Performance changes were negligible.

In 2 months, you'll have a plethora of 2011 and 2012 model MBPs on the market because people will be buying the crap out of the new retina display models over the holidays. I'm thinking the pricing might come down too...seems a solid 2011 model is in the $800-$900 range right now, and 2012 in the $900-$1,000 range.
    jsarino likes this.
    10-26-2013 12:01 AM
    ^^^I probably would swap the HDD's for SSD's (faster, quieter), and up the RAM for sure. Thanks for the tip about timing when to look for them.

The sweet spot size-wise for me is to get a 13" MBP or Air and mod either of them out. I don't have to have a DVD player, and want better battery life, which makes the Air appealing. Though if I come across a 15" at a good price (same size as my work MBP), I won't pass it up.
    10-26-2013 03:28 AM
    ^^^I probably would swap the HDD's for SSD's (faster, quieter), and up the RAM for sure. Thanks for the tip about timing when to look for them.

The sweet spot size-wise for me is to get a 13" MBP or Air and mod either of them out. I don't have to have a DVD player, and want better battery life, which makes the Air appealing. Though if I come across a 15" at a good price (same size as my work MBP), I won't pass it up.
    Unfortunately, the Air shares much of the same "locked down" elements that the MBP does. You'd have to get a pretty outdated Air model in order to have the ability to modify it with any legitimacy.
    jsarino likes this.
    10-26-2013 09:51 AM
    If you're considering 2011 vs 2012 know that although the Apple site lists the max RAM as 8GB. The 2011 will accept 16GB so it's a nice way to pep up the system.
    jsarino likes this.
    10-26-2013 01:41 PM
    Dammit...that's too bad about the Airs. I was wanting to build up basically an ultrabook. :-/ Thanks for the tip though about the MBP!
    10-27-2013 01:51 AM
    My 2009 MacBook Pro is a beast! Of course mine was the top model at the time. You guys make me want to upgrade! Lol. I'm glad my iMac is a 2012.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    10-27-2013 07:07 AM