Is the price of Mobile getting out of hand?

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know I am a bit of a mobile junkie but I really enjoy the experience. My experience from buying my first flip phone for $300 to todays array of devices is a little mind boggling. Now it's not just a phone but also a tablet, Bluetooth headset and soon a watch to join the array. The jump from my $300 to at least $1500 a year has me wondering if anyone else is also noticing the increase. Not only has my amount of products increased but the prices of the phones has escalated quite a bit. I sometimes get the feeling that the carriers are artificially inflating the phone prices to force people to buy them on contract. So my question is, has todays mobile prices changed the way you buy devices or stopped you from buying certain ones at all?

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Who said you HAVE to have a tablet, bluetooth headset, and smart watch?

I only buy devices I want. I don't buy just because it's sitting on the shelf at Best Buy. Hence, I do not own a tablet, bluetooth headset, or smart watch. It's pretty easy.

It only gets out of hand if you allow it to get out of hand. The dollars flying out of your wallet are by your own choice.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say the price is getting out of hand, but I only upgrade when I'm eligible to upgrade on contract. Since the monthly bill does not get any cheaper if one pays full retail and does not have a contract, I'll take the carrier subsidy and wait until I'm eligible to upgrade on contract.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know I am a bit of a mobile junky but I really enjoy the experience. My experience from buying my first flip phone for $300 to todays array of devices is a little mind boggling. Now it's not just a phone but also a tablet, Bluetooth headset and soon a watch to join the array. The jump from my $300 to at least $1500 a year has me wondering if anyone else is also noticing the increase. Not only has my amount of products increased but the prices of the phones has escalated quite a bit. I sometimes get the feeling that the carriers are artificially inflating the phone prices to force people to buy them on contract. So my question is, has todays mobile prices changed the way you buy devices or stopped you from buying certain ones at all?

The carriers don't name the pricing of the devices...they simply make the contract stipulations and the discounts that are awarded for signing said contracts. A retail price for a device is set by the manufacturer, and is consistent regardless of where the device is purchased. Contract prices really haven't changed either in quite a while...I remember paying $200 for Blackberry's and Palms, and over $100 for the old top tier flip phones before BB was even relevant.

I CAN agree with the carrier pricing of features and usage...especially data. Data charges these days are astronomical and ridiculous.

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't actually feel that it's drastically more expensive. Not with carrier subsidies these days.

I remember paying a good amount for a HP iPaq Winmo 5 back in the days as well.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

FlashFlare11

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Smartphones, now, have at least as much power as a laptop computer. Higher-end smartphones have even more power than that. With all these capabilities, $600 for a device is definitely more than reasonable. The only reason we see so many people with smartphones in the west is because of contract subsidies. If contracts didn't exist, there would be far fewer smartphone users. I also think the contracts have trained people to think that their phone is "worth" the $200 or so they paid for it when, in actuality, it's much more than that.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Smartphones, now, have at least as much power as a laptop computer. Higher-end smartphones have even more power than that. With all these capabilities, $600 for a device is definitely more than reasonable. The only reason we see so many people with smartphones in the west is because of contract subsidies. If contracts didn't exist, there would be far fewer smartphone users. I also think the contracts have trained people to think that their phone is "worth" the $200 or so they paid for it when, in actuality, it's much more than that.

Selling iPhone's around new device release times DEFINE this thought process...people become flabbergasted at the idea that one of these devices is worth more than what they can buy one for on contract. While selling my wife's iPhone 5, I had so many emails saying "How are you asking "X" amount when I can go buy one new for "X" amount...", it was not only frustrating, but very sad that people have such a lack of understanding of the market (yet are in the thick of it trying to buy a device).

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Who said you HAVE to have a tablet, bluetooth headset, and smart watch?

I only buy devices I want. I don't buy just because it's sitting on the shelf at Best Buy. Hence, I do not own a tablet, bluetooth headset, or smart watch. It's pretty easy.

It only gets out of hand if you allow it to get out of hand. The dollars flying out of your wallet are by your own choice.

True the tablet and the smartwatch are overkill but they are so much fun. The bluetooth is a must.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I wish the high end phones were only $600. Most of them with similar specs are running $750 +.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The carriers don't name the pricing of the devices...they simply make the contract stipulations and the discounts that are awarded for signing said contracts. A retail price for a device is set by the manufacturer, and is consistent regardless of where the device is purchased. Contract prices really haven't changed either in quite a while...I remember paying $200 for Blackberry's and Palms, and over $100 for the old top tier flip phones before BB was even relevant.

I CAN agree with the carrier pricing of features and usage...especially data. Data charges these days are astronomical and ridiculous.

Well they are throwing on some kind of extra handling charge. The Z ultra was released today and it's $50 more at the carrier locked than it is at Sony unlocked.

Xx BEN xX

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
They sell ... That's why the prices keep going up. If we stopped buying them the prices would go down. Supply and demand. Up here where I'm working in Alberta (money is good) people would buy my 64 gig 5s for 1500.00 just because they can't find them anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I hear your point. I can justify why phones are so expensive....
Phones back in the day were made for one purpose. To call someone. Kapish!!
Then technology evolved. We where given the internet browser, email, messages, music,....all of these things a computer could do back in that time.
The iPhone is not a phone. Is a luxury that does the properties of a phone and WAY more.
The first time apps came to the store back in 2007, that's revolutionised the way we thought about a cellphone.
Yes many manufacturers had phones before the iPhone, but they didn't give the experience of a " phone" a tailored experience.
So the fundamentals of a phone has been blown to the curve.....
We are in the world of luxury, browsing, emailing and more just at your finger tips.
Apple have nailed this.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

Mmm. I've never been into contracts. I buy my iPhones outright. I wouldn't wanna be stuck on a phone for longer than a year. I always get the latest iPhone. I'm also pretty scared about contacts. I consume heaps of data monthly, and I know for a fact I'll go over my limit then end up paying more than what the phone actually costs.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well they are throwing on some kind of extra handling charge. The Z ultra was released today and it's $50 more at the carrier locked than it is at Sony unlocked.

I'd personally like to see proof of this if you don't mind, because that makes zero sense.

And at any rate, just don't use the carrier if they are charging some arbitrary charge on top of the cost of the device. I don't see that with AT&T (which is what I use here in the states)...they charge either the subsidized contract price or the retail price which is unsubsidized...it's pretty black and white, you either get a discount with a contract or pay full retail...no fluff on the pricing. And even in your case, you said that Son is offering the phone CHEAPER in an unlocked state, so why on earth would you pay more to the carrier? It makes it very obvious that it is an erroneous pricing structure and just further defines the fact that the manufacturer names the proper retail price, and not the carrier (since the manufacturer was still offering the device at the cheaper unlocked rate).

Bottom line is this, device pricing hasn't really increased at all...the only thing that has increased is service charges, and that is something none of us can argue (or justify).

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
What's up NFLPlayBook, imagine seeing you here.....SMILE. I agree with you and I also feel that pricing has been inflated, but not only by the carriers , but also by the manufacturers. It's been a know fact that it's cheaper to make more of......anything, however that has not taken place in the current smartphone market.....it used to be that way "back in the day" and you would think with sooooooo many more smartphones in demand compared to a few years ago that prices would be less than what they are.....IMO anyway

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
What's up NFLPlayBook, imagine seeing you here.....SMILE. I agree with you and I also feel that pricing has been inflated, but not only by the carriers , but also by the manufacturers. It's been a know fact that it's cheaper to make more of......anything, however that has not taken place in the current smartphone market.....it used to be that way "back in the day" and you would think with sooooooo many more smartphones in demand compared to a few years ago that prices would be less than what they are.....IMO anyway

The price of a smart phone is a lot more than just the sum of the parts that is made from.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The monthly cost is a bit much but the subsidized price of the phones is great! I got 2 5s phones for $199 each and received $200 each for the 4s phones I traded in. It was pretty much a wash and walked out with some serious hardware.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711