I am currently in a mobile no-mans land. The current situation with BlackBerry has left me without a clear mobile platform to sink my teeth into. I have made a list of what for me is the top device from each platform . Seeing as I dont own any of these phones, in fact some arent even released yet, I need true user experience to make a decision on which one to make my own. I am posting on each of the mobile sites so I can get the most information possible for each phone. I hope over the next couple of weeks as each one hits the market I can get some great information on these phones to help me make a decision. Nothing beats first hand experience with a phone, both good and bad. In the case where the phones havent been released, your thoughts on how you think they will stack up is also greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will get more feedback once they are released as well. If you own more than one of the devices your opinion on which one you prefer and why is also appreciated. I am also interested in your opinion on how you think your phone stacks up against the others on the list. Thanks for your help in advance.
    iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Nokia 1520
    BlackBerry Z30
    10-12-2013 09:25 PM
    10-12-2013 09:28 PM
    Check out these: Comparisons | iMore
    10-12-2013 09:34 PM
    Check out these: Comparisons | iMore
    I couldn't find any direct comparisons there. Plus I'm looking for comparisons from real world experiences.
    10-12-2013 09:52 PM
    If you want comparisons, your best bet is to check out the given forums related to those devices, and see what people are saying about them, what their praises and complaints are, and see if any of them seem in line with the kind of person you are (when it comes to what you require of a smart phone).

Personally, I feel the iPhone 5S is the best smart phone on the market. I've participated in numerous threads listing countless reasons how, so I would refer you to those threads in the 5S sub-forum for specifics. All that said, you might have absolutely nothing in common with me when it comes to what I look for in a smart phone, so my preference could mean diddly squat to you in that regard.
    Just_Me_D and NFLPLAYBOOK like this.
    10-12-2013 10:10 PM
    I also wouldn't consider the Note 3 Samsung's Flagship smartphone. The Note 3 is a phablet. A complete stand alone category in its own right, with a plethora of devices to measure it against, like the Galaxy Mega, Xperia Z Ultra, Optimus G Pro, the upcoming HTC One Max, and Nokia Lumia phablet...

The Galaxy S4 is their flagship smartphone.
    10-12-2013 11:07 PM
    I'll let my signature speak for itself.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 <----flop of the century 2013 A.D.
    10-13-2013 02:56 AM
    To be fair, I'll just say that the Z30 will suffer somewhere in similarity to their playbook/Z10. It's better designed as in their defunct playbook, but no apps as the Z10. Merely a fatter twin of the Z10, to make up for no apps, it'll suffer a similar fate as its older sibling had.

NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    10-13-2013 03:02 AM
    To be fair, I'll just say that the Z30 will suffer somewhere in similarity to their playbook/Z10. It's better designed as in their defunct playbook, but no apps as the Z10. Merely a fatter twin of the Z10, to make up for no apps, it'll suffer a similar fate as its older sibling had.

Nah, I truly feel that all new Blackberry phones will always suffer from a perception problem, no matter how good the phone innards and features are...so I don't think it's fair to place it in a real world comparison...
    WhiteSpir1t and NFLPLAYBOOK like this.
    10-13-2013 05:51 AM
    I also wouldn't consider the Note 3 Samsung's Flagship smartphone. The Note 3 is a phablet. A complete stand alone category in its own right, with a plethora of devices to measure it against, like the Galaxy Mega, Xperia Z Ultra, Optimus G Pro, the upcoming HTC One Max, and Nokia Lumia phablet...

The Galaxy S4 is their flagship smartphone.
    I chose the phones I'm looking at buying.
    10-13-2013 10:33 AM
    As you should, only you know what is best for your needs.
    10-13-2013 10:39 AM
    As you should, only you know what is best for your needs.
    That's true. In the end it will be left to me to make a decision. What I'm trying to find is the individual intangibles that each device has that can only be discovered by someone using the phone.
    10-13-2013 12:04 PM
    That's true. In the end it will be left to me to make a decision. What I'm trying to find is the individual intangibles that each device has that can only be discovered by someone using the phone.
    It may be helpful if you shared with us what you need/want in a smartphone. Although the vast majority here are iPhone enthusiasts, there are also many who have used different platforms.
    10-13-2013 02:16 PM
    Nah, I truly feel that all new Blackberry phones will always suffer from a perception problem, no matter how good the phone innards and features are...so I don't think it's fair to place it in a real world comparison...
    I think it's entirely fair to compare BlackBerry devices in the real world with other phones. After all, this is a comparison your average consumer will make. BlackBerry doesn't exist on a separate plane of reality.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Speedygi and NFLPLAYBOOK like this.
    10-13-2013 07:33 PM
    I think it's entirely fair to compare BlackBerry devices in the real world with other phones. After all, this is a comparison your average consumer will make. BlackBerry doesn't exist on a separate plane of reality.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Yup, and if you compare Blackberry 10 phones to the other phones, it should be based on the merits of the device not the reputation of the company.
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    10-13-2013 08:03 PM
    I chose the phones I'm looking at buying.
    Yeah, everyone does. I would never dream to try and tell you what to buy. But you are asking for advice, comparisons, and user experience, yes?

Out of the devices you have listed, I personally would go for the iPhone 5S or the Blackberry Z30. I'm not a big fan of phablets. I would rather own a phone and a tablet, as two separate devices. But everyone has their own tastes, and an all-in-one like a phablet has its appeal to some. I would advise you try to live with a phablet for a week or so to see how the size works with your everyday life.

Blackberry has a horrible selection of apps, but if you don't need a bunch of apps, then it should be a solid device. BB OS 10 is a great OS in my opinion. The 5" Super AMOLED display and 2800mAh battery should make for a great experience that should last the day. I'd imagine like other Blackberry devices, the Z30 will put communication and connectivity at the forefront. If you email a lot for work, it doesn't get better than a Blackberry, and out of Blackberry devices, it doesn't get better than the Z30.

I wouldn't consider the Nokia, as one, it is a phablet, and two, it is a Windows 8 device. I do not like Windows 8. I have no vested interest in the Windows ecosystem. Windows 8 also has a deficiency of apps when compared to iOS and Android. If you are in the Microsoft/Windows ecosystem, then the Nokia might be good for you.

The Note 3 is probably the best phablet on the market right now. I have had some hands-on time with the Note 2, and I personally didn't find the stylus "S-Pen" useful at all. The screen size is great for consuming media such as watching a lot of videos and playing games. If you are in the Google ecosystem, the Note 3 will work with your services seamlessly. Android is what it is. Love it or hate it. Samsung's TouchWiz UI overlay isn't my favorite.

The iPhone 5S is everything you'd expect from an iPhone. Beautifully designed and built. Smooth and reliable OS. Great battery life. Fantastic customer service and support. Expansive app store. If you are in the Apple ecosystem at all, Mac computer, iPad, iPod, iTunes... then the iPhone is a great complimentary experience to add.
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    10-13-2013 08:43 PM
    I think it'll be helpful if we posted the gripes we find with iPhones. It would help me to get a generalized idea of these if I was to choose outside of Apple.

Here's my list:
    1. Over the years of versions on my (3GS) the Settings Menu has been cluttered up compared to what my phone started with 4.5 years ago, albeit it's not as cluttered as multiple menus on Android (due to Google, Sense, Touch Wee-wee, AT&T, Verizon, etc adding their own clutter), but it can use a clean-up/reorganize.
    2. In Camera Roll, I'd like to move images/videos into a specific album - not copy a shortcut there.
    3. This item was corrected by iOS 7, but I wanted an ability to set another weather app and another "simpler" music player app as a default app, (I don't have iOS 7 on my 3GS, I think the iOS 7 versions are great, so this item is moot actually). But my point is - a good number of people want to set defaults. I like Safari, Mail, Calendar, Camera, and I had NEVER had one problem with Maps <---I prefer all those over 3rd party.
    4. In iOS 7, the share tab now shows Twitter, Facebook, Flickr: I don't use Twitter or Flickr (not yet anyway), and I dont plan using Flickr - I hate that it shows up there. It should only show up if I signed into it in Settings (like they had with notifications "widget" with Twitter and Facebook in iOS6 - if I didnt sign up, it didn't show up.
    5. That's it for me, and I tried to think up a fifth one really hard. (I'm sure there's one more)

Hope you found this helpful...
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    10-14-2013 02:24 AM