Themes On iOS

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Lol, in a time when 70% of the smartphones sold worldwide are Android, how can you say that and not feel kind of silly.

Because I have an understanding of what that arbitrary "70%" number actually represents. You seem to have a lack of true understanding about this number though, given your comment...when you take an OS and you slap it on every kind of phone made (from the cheapest junk to the highest end upper tier smart phone), of course you're going to find Android on all those phones. When you take the iPhone and you compare it to ANY individual phone, you realize how "silly" YOUR comment really is.

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Because I have an understanding of what that arbitrary "70%" number actually represents. You seem to have a lack of true understanding about this number though, given your comment...when you take an OS and you slap it on every kind of phone made (from the cheapest junk to the highest end upper tier smart phone), of course you're going to find Android on all those phones. When you take the iPhone and you compare it to ANY individual phone, you realize how "silly" YOUR comment really is.

Not at all.

You claimed Apple was the 'front runner'. This is clearly not the case. Even if you only count the high-end devices, Android would be the true 'front runner'. I'm not arguing quality, just correcting a very erroneous remark.

As a very new iOS user, let me tell you that after 2 days with my first ever iOS device (iPad 4), I think the lack of any customisation is a problem. Now, of course I knew this going in, but I still don't like it at all.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Themes are way overrated. Live Wallpapers are battery killers. The battery suffers from a lot of customization and things jumping around on the screen.

Changing keyboards in Android was terrible in my experience. They never ran well with the OS they crashed all the time. It was cute for about 2 weeks.

Having a OS that doesn't allow access to everything insures quality. Yes there are bugs in iOS 7 but of all the mobile OS's I have had experience with iOS is by far the least buggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not at all.

You claimed Apple was the 'front runner'. This is clearly not the case. Even if you only count the high-end devices, Android would be the true 'front runner'. I'm not arguing quality, just correcting a very erroneous remark.

As a very new iOS user, let me tell you that after 2 days with my first ever iOS device (iPad 4), I think the lack of any customisation is a problem. Now, of course I knew this going in, but I still don't like it at all.

That’s odd. I don’t see the inability to change an icon a problem. If I did, I’d simply jailbreak and deal with it. And just to clarify, the lack of customisation (sic) is a problem for you. Not for me. Or many others.

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That’s odd. I don’t see the inability to change an icon a problem. If I did, I’d simply jailbreak and deal with it. And just to clarify, the lack of customisation (sic) is a problem for you. Not for me. Or many others.

Well good for you.

I could just as easily point out that just because you're fine with it doesn't mean everyone else should be satisfied. I do not subscribe to the idea that just because Apple designed it that way it's somehow perfect and beyond criticism.

I quite like the iPad, but I'm used to totally customising my devices, and it's hard for me to feel ownership when I can't make it the way I want it. I know I'm not alone in that.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well good for you.

I could just as easily point out that just because you're fine with it doesn't mean everyone else should be satisfied. I do not subscribe to the idea that just because Apple designed it that way it's somehow perfect and beyond criticism.

I quite like the iPad, but I'm used to totally customising my devices, and it's hard for me to feel ownership when I can't make it the way I want it. I know I'm not alone in that.

My point is this: everyone knows that Apple "locks down" iPhone, iPad and iPod. However people still buy them by the truckload. And there are always some that see that known "issue" as a major deal that they have to come in here and bitch about it.

It should not come as a surprise to anyone that Apple doesn’t allow customizations to the extent that some want. It’s been in all the blogs, news and forums. Does Apple always know best? Doubtful... but it is what it is. It is what it was when you made the purchase.

You have 3 choices:
  1. STFU and live with it
  2. Wait for a jailbreak and fix it
  3. Move on to a platform that allows customizing to your heart's content.
Notice that whining and whinging about it is NOT an option.

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yet you bought an iPad... Why buy the iPad? Why didn't you buy something you could customize to your satisfaction?
I wanted a second screen device for commuting. I used to have a Nexus 7 first gen, but it got really buggy (mainly from an underpowered CPU I think) so I sold it. I also need a bigger screen these days, my eyesight isn't the best. On anything above about 8 inches Android isn't a very good experience in my opinion.

So basically I chose the iPad based on screen size, resolution (it's beautiful) and app ecosystem. Those are all huge pluses. I knew I'd have to live with the lack of user choice, and on balance I'd do it again, but I still find it pretty annoying.

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My point is this: everyone knows that Apple "locks down" iPhone, iPad and iPod. However people still buy them by the truckload. And there are always some that see that known "issue" as a major deal that they have to come in here and bitch about it.

It should not come as a surprise to anyone that Apple doesn’t allow customizations to the extent that some want. It’s been in all the blogs, news and forums. Does Apple always know best? Doubtful... but it is what it is. It is what it was when you made the purchase.

You have 3 choices:
  1. STFU and live with it
  2. Wait for a jailbreak and fix it
  3. Move on to a platform that allows customizing to your heart's content.
Notice that whining and whinging about it is NOT an option.

Wow, you're so friendly. Thanks for being so rude.

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, I've literally owned this iPad for 48 hours. It's my first ever iOS device.

I'm finding it pretty jarring.

I never said it wasn't a good device.

This forum is pretty unwelcoming to newcomers from different platform it seems. Pity.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So basically I chose the iPad based on screen size, resolution (it's beautiful) and app ecosystem. Those are all huge pluses. I knew I'd have to live with the lack of user choice, and on balance I'd do it again, but I still find it pretty annoying.
So... you knew going in you couldn't customize as much as you want to... and still need to vent? :confused: Suck it up until there's a jailbreak...

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So... you knew going in you couldn't customize as much as you want to... and still need to vent? :confused: Suck it up until there's a jailbreak...
What is this? Smack down the new guy? Silence any differing opinion?

I never said it was a bad device

The ability to customise is a basic tenant of virtually any sort of computing OS. iOS is not better without it IMO. That was my point.

The 2 of you need to calm down and think about the way you interact with people.

So aggressive.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You're the one who bought an iPad knowing it can't be customized to your satisfaction coming here to complain about not being able to do something you knew you couldn't do: customize... and it's hostile to point out that irony? Oh well... c'est la vie.

sashlon

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Aren't moderators supposed to 'moderate' discussions, not attack users?

I'm so sorry I ever came to this forum. Thanks for everything mate.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This forum is pretty unwelcoming to newcomers from different platform it seems. Pity.

I don't get it. You use two different platforms. You come on a Apple forum and talk about what you feeling are the shortcomings of iOS. Why?

No OS is perfect. It seems you want iOS but you want it to be Android. But it's not, and Android is not iOS.
If you want customization there's a OS for that. If you want a quality stability there's a OS for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I wanted a second screen device for commuting. I used to have a Nexus 7 first gen, but it got really buggy (mainly from an underpowered CPU I think) so I sold it. I also need a bigger screen these days, my eyesight isn't the best. On anything above about 8 inches Android isn't a very good experience in my opinion.

The power of the CPU would not make a device "buggy"

That's the OS. If the CPU was the problem, it would have been a problem from day one. I had the second gen Nexus 7 for maybe a month, and it started to turn to crap as well... even with its Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core, Adreno quad core GPU, and 2gb of RAM.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not at all.

Though hopefully you saw yourself out the door and won't be back to reply, in the chance you are, feel free to gnaw on this morsel of proof, and thanks for playing! Better luck next time.

Analyst: Both iPhone 5s And 5c Outselling The Samsung Galaxy S4 At AT&T And Sprint | TechCrunch

Front runner.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Aren't moderators supposed to 'moderate' discussions, not attack users?

I'm so sorry I ever came to this forum. Thanks for everything mate.

The best part about not feeling welcome some where is the ability to leave...one can only hope you use that ability.

Don't let the door hit ya!

tumblr_lt2rt1YdjM1qafrh6.gif

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods