Not at all.

You claimed Apple was the 'front runner'. This is clearly not the case. Even if you only count the high-end devices, Android would be the true 'front runner'. I'm not arguing quality, just correcting a very erroneous remark.

As a very new iOS user, let me tell you that after 2 days with my first ever iOS device (iPad 4), I think the lack of any customisation is a problem. Now, of course I knew this going in, but I still don't like it at all.
    That’s odd. I don’t see the inability to change an icon a problem. If I did, I’d simply jailbreak and deal with it. And just to clarify, the lack of customisation (sic) is a problem for you. Not for me. Or many others.
    10-12-2013 07:49 PM
    That’s odd. I don’t see the inability to change an icon a problem. If I did, I’d simply jailbreak and deal with it. And just to clarify, the lack of customisation (sic) is a problem for you. Not for me. Or many others.
    Well good for you.

I could just as easily point out that just because you're fine with it doesn't mean everyone else should be satisfied. I do not subscribe to the idea that just because Apple designed it that way it's somehow perfect and beyond criticism.

I quite like the iPad, but I'm used to totally customising my devices, and it's hard for me to feel ownership when I can't make it the way I want it. I know I'm not alone in that.
    xMatter likes this.
    10-12-2013 08:24 PM
    ... it's hard for me to feel ownership when I can't make it the way I want it. I know I'm not alone in that.
    Yet you bought an iPad... Why buy the iPad? Why didn't you buy something you could customize to your satisfaction?
    opeycunningham likes this.
    10-12-2013 08:31 PM
    Well good for you.

I could just as easily point out that just because you're fine with it doesn't mean everyone else should be satisfied. I do not subscribe to the idea that just because Apple designed it that way it's somehow perfect and beyond criticism.

I quite like the iPad, but I'm used to totally customising my devices, and it's hard for me to feel ownership when I can't make it the way I want it. I know I'm not alone in that.
    My point is this: everyone knows that Apple "locks down" iPhone, iPad and iPod. However people still buy them by the truckload. And there are always some that see that known "issue" as a major deal that they have to come in here and bitch about it.

It should not come as a surprise to anyone that Apple doesn’t allow customizations to the extent that some want. It’s been in all the blogs, news and forums. Does Apple always know best? Doubtful... but it is what it is. It is what it was when you made the purchase.

You have 3 choices:
    1. STFU and live with it
    2. Wait for a jailbreak and fix it
    3. Move on to a platform that allows customizing to your heart's content.

Notice that whining and whinging about it is NOT an option.
    10-12-2013 08:37 PM
    Yet you bought an iPad... Why buy the iPad? Why didn't you buy something you could customize to your satisfaction?
    I wanted a second screen device for commuting. I used to have a Nexus 7 first gen, but it got really buggy (mainly from an underpowered CPU I think) so I sold it. I also need a bigger screen these days, my eyesight isn't the best. On anything above about 8 inches Android isn't a very good experience in my opinion.

So basically I chose the iPad based on screen size, resolution (it's beautiful) and app ecosystem. Those are all huge pluses. I knew I'd have to live with the lack of user choice, and on balance I'd do it again, but I still find it pretty annoying.
    10-12-2013 08:41 PM
    My point is this: everyone knows that Apple "locks down" iPhone, iPad and iPod. However people still buy them by the truckload. And there are always some that see that known "issue" as a major deal that they have to come in here and bitch about it.

It should not come as a surprise to anyone that Apple doesn’t allow customizations to the extent that some want. It’s been in all the blogs, news and forums. Does Apple always know best? Doubtful... but it is what it is. It is what it was when you made the purchase.

You have 3 choices:
    1. STFU and live with it
    2. Wait for a jailbreak and fix it
    3. Move on to a platform that allows customizing to your heart's content.

Notice that whining and whinging about it is NOT an option.
    Wow, you're so friendly. Thanks for being so rude.
    10-12-2013 08:42 PM
    Also, I've literally owned this iPad for 48 hours. It's my first ever iOS device.

I'm finding it pretty jarring.

I never said it wasn't a good device.

This forum is pretty unwelcoming to newcomers from different platform it seems. Pity.
    10-12-2013 08:45 PM
    So basically I chose the iPad based on screen size, resolution (it's beautiful) and app ecosystem. Those are all huge pluses. I knew I'd have to live with the lack of user choice, and on balance I'd do it again, but I still find it pretty annoying.
    So... you knew going in you couldn't customize as much as you want to... and still need to vent? Suck it up until there's a jailbreak...
    10-12-2013 08:48 PM
    So... you knew going in you couldn't customize as much as you want to... and still need to vent? Suck it up until there's a jailbreak...
    What is this? Smack down the new guy? Silence any differing opinion?

I never said it was a bad device

The ability to customise is a basic tenant of virtually any sort of computing OS. iOS is not better without it IMO. That was my point.

The 2 of you need to calm down and think about the way you interact with people.

So aggressive.
    10-12-2013 08:52 PM
    You're the one who bought an iPad knowing it can't be customized to your satisfaction coming here to complain about not being able to do something you knew you couldn't do: customize... and it's hostile to point out that irony? Oh well... c'est la vie.
    mac2013 likes this.
    10-12-2013 09:02 PM
    Aren't moderators supposed to 'moderate' discussions, not attack users?

I'm so sorry I ever came to this forum. Thanks for everything mate.
    10-12-2013 09:10 PM
    This forum is pretty unwelcoming to newcomers from different platform it seems. Pity.
    I don't get it. You use two different platforms. You come on a Apple forum and talk about what you feeling are the shortcomings of iOS. Why?

No OS is perfect. It seems you want iOS but you want it to be Android. But it's not, and Android is not iOS.
    If you want customization there's a OS for that. If you want a quality stability there's a OS for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    mac2013 likes this.
    10-12-2013 09:23 PM
    I wanted a second screen device for commuting. I used to have a Nexus 7 first gen, but it got really buggy (mainly from an underpowered CPU I think) so I sold it. I also need a bigger screen these days, my eyesight isn't the best. On anything above about 8 inches Android isn't a very good experience in my opinion.

The power of the CPU would not make a device "buggy"

That's the OS. If the CPU was the problem, it would have been a problem from day one. I had the second gen Nexus 7 for maybe a month, and it started to turn to crap as well... even with its Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core, Adreno quad core GPU, and 2gb of RAM.
    10-12-2013 09:28 PM
    Wow, you're so friendly. Thanks for being so rude.
    Show me where what I said was not correct...
    10-12-2013 09:29 PM
    Not at all.

You claimed Apple was the 'front runner'. This is clearly not the case. Even if you only count the high-end devices, Android would be the true 'front runner'. I'm not arguing quality, just correcting a very erroneous remark.

As a very new iOS user, let me tell you that after 2 days with my first ever iOS device (iPad 4), I think the lack of any customisation is a problem. Now, of course I knew this going in, but I still don't like it at all.
    Though hopefully you saw yourself out the door and won't be back to reply, in the chance you are, feel free to gnaw on this morsel of proof, and thanks for playing! Better luck next time.

Analyst: Both iPhone 5s And 5c Outselling The Samsung Galaxy S4 At AT&T And Sprint | TechCrunch

Front runner.
    10-12-2013 09:46 PM
    Aren't moderators supposed to 'moderate' discussions, not attack users?

I'm so sorry I ever came to this forum. Thanks for everything mate.
    The best part about not feeling welcome some where is the ability to leave...one can only hope you use that ability.

Don't let the door hit ya!

10-12-2013 09:49 PM
    10-12-2013 09:53 PM
    I literally can't believe how awful you people are here.

I will not be back, and I'm sad about that because I have a new device, and it's nice to have a forum for advice/support.

I'll find somewhere more civilized.
    10-12-2013 09:59 PM
    I literally can't believe how awful you people are here.

I will not be back, and I'm sad about that because I have a new device, and it's nice to have a forum for advice/support.

I'll find somewhere more civilized.
    10-12-2013 10:01 PM
    sashlon - try not to take it personal. you stated your opinion, and rightfully so. let's just agree to disagree

things are a little heated right now. in all honesty there is no real reason why we all couldn't get along eventually
    10-12-2013 10:05 PM
    sashlon - try not to take it personal. you stated your opinion, and rightfully so. let's just agree to disagree

things are a little heated right now. in all honesty there is no real reason why we all couldn't get along eventually
    Sure there is. The guy came here to rustle up dust...look at his post history. There was never any intention to come here and get advice/support for his iPad, he's just saying that because he feels it will get a reaction out of the mods here (a few of which have also seen right through his BS). Let's face it, there are members here that can enjoy iMore even while holding no interest in the devices the forum is based upon...they offer their opinion, at times even highly critical ones, but they find a balance, and they do it without the malice found here.
    10-12-2013 10:14 PM
    Sure there is. The guy came here to rustle up dust...look at his post history. There was never any intention to come here and get advice/support for his iPad, he's just saying that because he feels it will get a reaction out of the mods here (a few of which have also seen right through his BS). Let's face it, there are members here that can enjoy iMore even while holding no interest in the devices the forum is based upon...they offer their opinion, at times even highly critical ones, but they find a balance, and they do it without the malice found here.
    Actually, you're very wrong. But I'm not going to defend myself from someone like you.

I do have a new iOS device, and it's the first I've ever owned and I thought I'd join iMore to be part of that community. But now I regret ever coming here.

If expressing a divergent opinion gets you flamed and trolled, why bother with it?
    10-12-2013 10:21 PM
    Btw, what malice have I shown to anyone?
    10-12-2013 10:27 PM
    Why are you still here sweetheart?
    10-12-2013 10:34 PM
    Steve Jobs said that. When Tim Cook was chosen to be the CEO, Steve told him to run the company the way he would do it, NOT how he would think that Steve would have. If Steve didn't believe in the BS of no medicine, he would never have released the 4" display, no iPad Mini, and the headphone jack WOULD NOT BE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE @&%^#*#%@*$*^$*#&*#&%*#^ PHONE! And the 5C does not have a color toggle, it is just the wallpaper, and the core applications conform slightly to those colors with translucent panels of glass sliding over the active information. Apple is not a conventional company, and Android is rarely "revolutionary" with its updates. Jut look at the next lone, it has a flatter UI with softer colors. Where have I ever seen that before? And that is where babies come from.
    10-12-2013 10:36 PM
70 123