iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Wording and punctuation can make all the difference in the world.

It's the difference between "I'd rather get a root canal than see my mom naked" and "I'd rather get a root canal then see my mom naked"

or, "I had to help my Uncle Jack, off his horse" and "I had to help my Uncle Jack off his horse"

:biggrin:

I do feel like Sean knew what I meant though.

JaenelleMasen

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like Brutal Efficiency responds or creates topics that like to attack iOS users and then reiterates the love for BB products on a forum mainly for iOS?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like Brutal Efficiency responds or creates topics that like to attack iOS users and then reiterates the love for BB products on a forum mainly for iOS?

More or less. Though the attacking is really just mild arguing, but the principal seems to be the same. A differing opinion is one thing, but belittling is the same regardless of how much it's sugar coated.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't belittle more than you.

There he is! I knew it would just take some prodding to get you to fess up your real agenda.

FYI, I've never once belittled a device in a general fashion here...feel free to try and find an example, you never will. I've never once made a remark directly about another device without including that it was purely my opinion...you, on the other hand, can't say the same, especially since most of your participation on this forum has been reflective of this thread.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

He is discussing apple products in an apple forum. You don't need to agree with his opinions in order to have a conversation. If you don't want to engage in comparative type conversations don't respond to him. In this particular thread he has had plenty of nice things to say about apple but for some reason he still gets nitpicked because he is a BlackBerry user.

iMore is part of Mobile Nations, it isn't in a closed universe, and it is better for it. :big-hug:

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
He is discussing apple products in an apple forum. You don't need to agree with his opinions in order to have a conversation. If you don't want to engage in comparative type conversations don't respond to him. In this particular thread he has had plenty of nice things to say about apple but for some reason he still gets nitpicked because he is a BlackBerry user.

iMore is part of Mobile Nations, it isn't in a closed universe, and it is better for it. :big-hug:

I think it was a little more implicative than opinion...but either way, who cares. I know i certainly didn't care whether he was a BB user or not, I just like to debate, lol.

Last edited:

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
There's a difference between simple discussion and generic labeling. There's an implicative tone to his posts...not just an opinion, but a blanket statement.

Also, he's not getting nitpicked because he's a blackberry user...please take that kind of crap somewhere else. You come in here lecturing someone about forum etiquette, yet your comments are not reflective of the conversation that has been going on, and the content of such. Did you just decide to try and be a forum super hero after 4 pages of responses?

And did you just decide to become the forum villain? I agree that it is a thread about iOS being for tech-savvy or not for tech-savvy users.

Brutal came in and presented some points: Given that he is a BB user, it was obvious that he would try and equate his experience.
Since I am primarily a BB user (although I have 6 iOS devices in my house that I use off and on) I would perhaps end up giving the same examples that I have used over the years.

Since you come from (what you say) is a primarily iOS usage (with barely any BB10 usage) your experience is different (and suits this conversation best, since it's an iOS thread about iOS tech-savviness).
What use is a forum thread is contributions from various users cannot be accepted? I don't say that you have to agree with whatever Brutal or bizzyqu say(as you clearly don't and that is your right), but everyone is entitled to their opinions on these forums and all others. With such a high thread post count, I guess you have been here for quite a while and I can understand the feeling when you see someone having what you call, *a hidden agenda*. Counter the argument with facts and if you feel a person is a troll, report them. Isn't that easier than trying to pull someone into a major argument and prolonging the screen-time for said individual?

I have posted earlier in this thread quoting many others, while agreeing and disagreeing with all or some of you (just so that you don't feel the need to call me a 4th-page hero too :))

I don't believe this kind of behaviour fosters cross-forum goodwill. We come here because of the discussions, not because of the arguments.
It would bode well for the Mobile Nations site as a whole to have good and healthy camaraderie amongst the sister sites (however far removed the relation may be)

LP&HG

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And did you just decide to become the forum villain? I agree that it is a thread about iOS being for tech-savvy or not for tech-savvy users.

Brutal came in and presented some points: Given that he is a BB user, it was obvious that he would try and equate his experience.
Since I am primarily a BB user (although I have 6 iOS devices in my house that I use off and on) I would perhaps end up giving the same examples that I have used over the years.

Since you come from (what you say) is a primarily iOS usage (with barely any BB10 usage) your experience is different (and suits this conversation best, since it's an iOS thread about iOS tech-savviness).
What use is a forum thread is contributions from various users cannot be accepted? I don't say that you have to agree with whatever Brutal or bizzyqu say(as you clearly don't and that is your right), but everyone is entitled to their opinions on these forums and all others. With such a high thread post count, I guess you have been here for quite a while and I can understand the feeling when you see someone having what you call, *a hidden agenda*. Counter the argument with facts and if you feel a person is a troll, report them. Isn't that easier than trying to pull someone into a major argument and prolonging the screen-time for said individual?

I have posted earlier in this thread quoting many others, while agreeing and disagreeing with all or some of you (just so that you don't feel the need to call me a 4th-page hero too :))

I don't believe this kind of behaviour fosters cross-forum goodwill. We come here because of the discussions, not because of the arguments.
It would bode well for the Mobile Nations site as a whole to have good and healthy camaraderie amongst the sister sites (however far removed the relation may be)

LP&HG

I redacted my statement earlier because it was a bit quick lipped and harsh.

I don't consider myself a villain, no. But as one of the more outspoken and common posters in this community, I damn well will step up when someone takes a pot shot. Just the way it is.

But I will say that this thread was very derogatory towards the iPhone in the light of implying it was almost a "dumbed down" smart phone. I don't mind if people think that as an opinion, but when you try to push that as a fact (which is what the feel was on several of the threads here), it becomes a problem.

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
But as one of the more outspoken and common posters in this community, I damn well will step up when someone takes a pot shot. Just the way it is.

It's nice to be outspoken (maybe not everywhere, but mostly I am too :) Like I said in my earlier post, I can see where you're coming from. As someone who is not a bug poster either on CB or iMore, I tend to lurk and only come out when I have something really constructive to add (via a fact or a feature or an experience).

With such a high thread post count, I guess you have been here for quite a while and I can understand the feeling when you see someone having what you call, *a hidden agenda*. Counter the argument with facts and if you feel a person is a troll, report them. Isn't that easier than trying to pull someone into a major argument and prolonging the screen-time for said individual?

LP&HG

Leaving the so-called phone wars aside, I am sure it may take a bigger effort for all of us to operate within the MNiverse (Mobile Nations), and correlate it to the multiverse theory.

In another universe, SEANHRCC is actually an Android user, while Brutal is a die-hard iOS fan, while bizzyqu is still living his WebOS dream, ghundiraj on the other hand is not tech-savvy enough and is using an old Nokia 3390b .

Like I said before, if the person is citing facts, counter them with your own.
If the person is out to create trouble, that's what the mods and ambassadors are here for.

LP&HG

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's nice to be outspoken (maybe not everywhere, but mostly I am too :) Like I said in my earlier post, I can see where you're coming from. As someone who is not a bug poster either on CB or iMore, I tend to lurk and only come out when I have something really constructive to add (via a fact or a feature or an experience).

Leaving the so-called phone wars aside, I am sure it may take a bigger effort for all of us to operate within the MNiverse (Mobile Nations), and correlate it to the multiverse theory.

In another universe, SEANHRCC is actually an Android user, while Brutal is a die-hard iOS fan, while bizzyqu is still living his WebOS dream, ghundiraj on the other hand is not tech-savvy enough and is using an old Nokia 3390b .

Like I said before, if the person is citing facts, counter them with your own.
If the person is out to create trouble, that's what the mods and ambassadors are here for.

LP&HG

I understand this, but it doesn't hurt to remind people of that nature that the members are just as loyal to the community as well. I really like this place, the people here, and the devices it reflects...we may differ on this, but regardless of the ambassadors and mods, the community needs to stand up as well in these cases. I've shown my facts countless times, if you go back and read the thread, you'll see I'm not just talking out of my a$$ for the sake of arguing, nor was I debating it groundlessly. It's just my nature to be brash I suppose, but I don't apologize for it really because it is what it is.

The real problem I had in this 4 page thread was a person citing opinion AS fact. That was all.

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I've shown my facts countless times, if you go back and read the thread, you'll see I'm not just talking out of my a$$ for the sake of arguing, nor was I debating it groundlessly. It's just my nature to be brash I suppose, but I don't apologize for it really because it is what it is.

The real problem I had in this 4 page thread was a person citing opinion AS fact. That was all.

Never would I ever want anyone speaking out of their @$$ (just kidding). And I also get the fact that you would want to right people who are out and out getting into a pissing contest.
If you've quoted facts, nothing should stop you from reiterating them (rather than being argumentative :)).
I believe a little nice goes a really long way. We've had many users (CB-based and otherwise) come into the forums on CB and say many a thing. I agree with the users who deal with them the way you do, but it's not the best way (in my opinion).

Let's just get clear with my background (so that there is no doubt later on). I am a hardcore BlackBerry enthusiast. I really like what BlackBerry helps me achieve day in and day out. I have also owned 2 iPhones in the past. I currently own multiple iPods, an iPad, a MacBookPro and an early-2009 27-inch iMac. As a person, I own more Apple devices than BB ones. As a household, we have more BBs than any other OS (multiple androids and iPhones and iPads), but for each person their device is the best for them.

I have been on MN for some years now, primarily for BB. I have also been on iMore quite some time ago for help with my iMac (never had any issues with my MBP or iPads, so never bothered).
I primarily came back to iMore because BBM was released for iOS and Android.

I have noticed quite a lot of familiar names on the forums and am glad that the overall reception has been awesome.
As newbie or noobs or kids on this forum, we look to the elders (age not a criteria) to help us in contributions to this forum and also to MN as a whole.
Guidance is as much a big help as is admonishing, but you have to remember that this is a new place for us and we are trying to find our footing.

Like grapes on a bunch, we are all different, and maybe that is the approach that should be taken to deal with us.
Don't group all of us as a bunch. Sure, we are all BB users and probably will be for years to come.
Sure, we are all passionate about our devices (as you are as well).
But if you see our posts on CB, you will see that most of us have to deal with people with *hidden agenda* as well.
We are not harsh with either the kids or the elders (it's a struggle but we do it :))

I don't have the number of posts you do (even combined), and post count is surely a powerful backing when you are presenting facts.

But with great power comes great responsibility :) (Sorry, just had to use it).
Use it wisely, and everyone will take even the slightest fact from you as the truth!!!

LP&HG

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Guidance is as much a big help as is admonishing, but you have to remember that this is a new place for us and we are trying to find our footing.

Not to take away from the rest of your post, I do appreciate what you said and respect your approach, but I wanted to zero in on something you said...about finding footing. Here, in this thread (since this is the subject matter that sparked your retort)...the person trying to find footing was doing it more by kicking sand than planting feet, and that is certainly no way to enter a community, especially when you're a person of alternate loyalty trying to mesh.

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Not to take away from the rest of your post, I do appreciate what you said and respect your approach, but I wanted to zero in on something you said...about finding footing. Here, in this thread (since this is the subject matter that sparked your retort)...the person trying to find footing was doing it more by kicking sand than planting feet, and that is certainly no way to enter a community, especially when you're a person of alternate loyalty trying to mesh.

Appreciation and respect doesn't kill anyone (however much or less it is). Like I said before, regardless of what the person was doing, you should hold yourself to higher standards. If a beach bully kicks sand, and you kick sand back, all that is up there is sand, nothing else :)

Just clicked on your name, saw that you've been a member since Feb 2008. I expected more from you. Be the bigger person, step away from a fight.
I've always noticed that online arguments are like fires (they need either fuel or oxygen or a base to flourish).

I'm not singling you out, if you notice my other posts (here or on iMore, you will see a pattern).
I come here to read more about devices (regardless of their parent company).

And about alternate loyalties, why not win someone over with a fact dump?
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."

I love BB as much as you love iPhones, but I choose to be the bigger person (and we've noticed that quite a lot of the sand-kickers are slowly dying out their own death).
If you truly believe the person is a sand-kicker and not a foot-planter, don't feed the fire.

I'm sure you will have more appreciation and respect from the other users, and surely nobody here believes everything they read anyways.
Leave it to the rest to gauge things for themselves :)

LP&HG

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Appreciation and respect doesn't kill anyone (however much or less it is). Like I said before, regardless of what the person was doing, you should hold yourself to higher standards. If a beach bully kicks sand, and you kick sand back, all that is up there is sand, nothing else :)

Just clicked on your name, saw that you've been a member since Feb 2008. I expected more from you. Be the bigger person, step away from a fight.
I've always noticed that online arguments are like fires (they need either fuel or oxygen or a base to flourish).

I'm not singling you out, if you notice my other posts (here or on iMore, you will see a pattern).
I come here to read more about devices (regardless of their parent company).

And about alternate loyalties, why not win someone over with a fact dump?
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."

I love BB as much as you love iPhones, but I choose to be the bigger person (and we've noticed that quite a lot of the sand-kickers are slowly dying out their own death).
If you truly believe the person is a sand-kicker and not a foot-planter, don't feed the fire.

I'm sure you will have more appreciation and respect from the other users, and surely nobody here believes everything they read anyways.
Leave it to the rest to gauge things for themselves :)

LP&HG

If that's how you want to approach things, you knock yourself out. I have my own flavor...I'll do as I do (as it seems to work fine for me since I've been here to this point). To repeat again though, facts were given...that was never an issue here.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods