iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

RayHollister

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Hacking is fun, right up until the hack doesn't work and you need to call someone, but your phone won't stop hard resetting. I love to tinker, but not with something I depend on. I know a lot of folks who are extremely tech savvy that choose iOS because they don't want a smart phone they can hack, they want a smart phone that they can do a lot with, but also that they can depend on.

This is just like the old days of Windows vs Mac, except for the fact that unlike back then, Apple has a much more mature and much more expansive ecosystem in mobile than they ever did on the desktop.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Well that's just trolling ;)

It's not. It's pointing out that things such as NFC aren't as common as you would like us to believe. I'm not saying that one day it won't become a standard. But do you honestly think that if it catches on that Apple wouldn't be on board with new devices? Heck, Apple will probably make NFC a standard if they decide to implementing it without using the term NFC not once.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It's not. It's pointing out that things such as NFC aren't as common as you would like us to believe. I'm not saying that one day it won't become a standard. But do you honestly think that if it catches on that Apple wouldn't be on board with new devices? Heck, Apple will probably make NFC a standard if they decide to implementing it without using the term NFC not once.

I thought Apple would have implemented WiFi Direct/Miracast/DLNA...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I thought Apple would have implemented WiFi Direct/Miracast/DLNA...

Apple isn't just going to implement something because it's there to use. They're gonna implement it when they can shape it to work with products how they would like them to so they can market those features using another term other than the technical ones. Right now things like that are nothing short of a gimmick.

kidkamel

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
NFC is still new, it can explode to something great or something not even worth worrying about. A lot of POS systems are moving towards tap to pay an done location such as Disney is moving to RFID technology with there tap and go which could be incorporated with NFC as its a part of the same technology.
As for which device is better for those Tech Savvy individuals depends on your preference. If you are embedded in the iOS ecosystem or available to use android and even venture into an ecosystem that is new, possibly too new for those who want to use such as BB10.
It is a new OS and those who are willing to give it a try will and those who are stuck it an ecosystem they are use to and don't want to switch will stay. I've owned multiple platforms, and my choice is BlackBerry because that works for me. IOS works for my wife and she wishes there were features from BB10 that were incorporated in iOS but the reality is you as an individual go towards what works for you. People who want simple, available, and even easy to pickup will go towards what is the norm or popular.

We can't change views or expectations all we can do is share those experiences and hope for the best.

My two cents more like $5 worth of replies.

What moves you, my BlackBerry Z10

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I do think that the iPhone offers MANY things that BlackBerry doesn't offer for the tech savvy. Just there are things that BlackBerry offers as well.

I do think that having more options is more suitable than having one proprietary option. What if you take your iPhone into a home/workplace that doesn't offer proprietary solutions to connect with? Honest question, perhaps you have a solution that big am unaware/ignorant of.

PS - this isn't my thread.

I'm sorry, but this post does not reflect the nature of this thread or your previous statements in it...I know you didn't start it, but you were one of the only people who were defending the sentiment, so you might as well have started it. In the end, the only point that I'm standing behind is that the iPhone is just as much "for" the tech savvy and non-tech savvy alike. Certain things attract both...for different reasons. Saying the iPhone is not for the tech savvy would be like me saying the new BB10 devices are not for new age smart phone consumers...it's a blanket (and false) generalization.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Just like computers. It's how you use them. They're made to form tithe ease of use people but if you know what your doing you can go deeper into the os.

Sent from my Gameboy Color

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not, I somehow, some way manage to use my iPhone in my workplace and home without those things.

To me, that would mean you are more tech savvy regardless of the features, however I would also argue that some are not tech savvy even if they have those features available to them. So I would come to a conclusion where being tech savvy is a state of mind, and a measure of one's own aptitude. However, I would also say that if one knows how to use DLNA or Miracast that individual could also be deemed tech savvy, simply on the basis that those things do need a certain degree of know-how and even just knowing that they exist is a sign of tech savvyness of itself.

If you ask me, the tech savvy comes from the individual and not from the devices, and having a device of any kind does not determine any form of tech savvyness whatsoever, even if people often equate and/or mistake them to be the same.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I'd like to think I know my way around a CLI (and knowing how to write code in BASIC counts as "tech-savvy" still, right?) and I'm fully comfortable busting out the iPod in front of my other tech-geek friends. I, for one, enjoy the stability that comes from iOS's slim lineup of hardware variants and lack of OS fragmentation brings. Just because you can root (and if you know what that means, you are definitely more tech-savvy than the average person, even if you're just "reading instructions") doesn't mean that you should. I figured that out from spending so much time modding my chromebook's software, only to realize that an unlocked bootloader and Linux distro added needless crap to my boot time for stuff I almost never used.

Locked is not necessarily bad if it delivers a quality end-user experience

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I'd like to think I know my way around a CLI (and knowing how to write code in BASIC counts as "tech-savvy" still, right?) and I'm fully comfortable busting out the iPod in front of my other tech-geek friends. I, for one, enjoy the stability that comes from iOS's slim lineup of hardware variants and lack of OS fragmentation brings. Just because you can root (and if you know what that means, you are definitely more tech-savvy than the average person, even if you're just "reading instructions") doesn't mean that you should. I figured that out from spending so much time modding my chromebook's software, only to realize that an unlocked bootloader and Linux distro added needless crap to my boot time for stuff I almost never used.

Locked is not necessarily bad if it delivers a quality end-user experience

I agree. There is nothing wrong with a system like that. People feel that when iOS is called a non-tech savvy system that it is a bad thing, or that it means they don't know tech. That's not true.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree. There is nothing wrong with a system like that. People feel that when iOS is called a non-tech savvy system that it is a bad thing, or that it means they don't know tech. That's not true.

The thing is, no "system" is tech savvy...the device/system can't be tech savvy, it IS tech. Only a person can be tech savvy, and that was always the argument, because the iPhone is just as much for a tech savvy person as it is a person who is not.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, no "system" is tech savvy...the device/system can't be tech savvy, it IS tech. Only a person can be tech savvy, and that was always the argument, because the iPhone is just as much for a tech savvy person as it is a person who is not.

Definitely agree on this one. :) I wish I could add more to this discussion (especially being one of the resident "outsiders" in iMore :p), but all I can say though is perceptions on an OS can change organically and positively, but it'll take time. This may be more for a separate discussion, but what always bothered me about tech manufacturers is when they have advertise that they claim they are the "first" or the "best" at something, when it is often false and fuels the wrong perception.

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
What it means is that Apple has been able to take a very powerful piece of technology and make it dead-easy to use and available to an insane amount of people.

To a certain degree I agree with you. iOS is very simple and tailored for people who don't want to be confused.

What it all boils down to is what works best for you. Do you think you are "tech savvy"? Great! Does that mean you shouldn't get an iOS device? Nope!

Coming from a primary BlackBerry background (but having used the iPhone4 and 4s), I agree with everyone above. What Apple has achieved is the simplification of technology so that it's acceptance is wide-spread. This should not be equated with dumbing it down, coz I know some dumb people and they can't use either an iPhone, a BB or an android:)

You have to take into account the major factor people considered when iPhones were released. It was and is a very good touch-phone and is very intuitive. My nieces both use iPhones, not because of Instagram (they don't use those features) or iMessage. They use iPhones because it helps them get through the day, performing tasks that they need to perform.

Being a BB user for a long time, I tried to sell them on the features of the BB devices (both touch and qwerty), but I could not get them to switch. Their question is "Why fix it if it ain't broken?"

Both my nephews are BB users and they swear by their devices.
In my family alone, we have 2 iPhones, 3 Android Devices and 7 BBs (both legacy and BB10).

We all have issues using our devices sometimes, and we all make fun of each other when someone's OS makes a boo-boo :)

But at no point of time, have we ever though that my nieces use the iPhones because they're not tech savvy....

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Okay, I used the wrong wording and you called me out on it.

I should have said 'People feel that when iOS is a system FOR non-tech savvy people, that it is a bad thing, or that it means that it is for people that don't know tech. That's not true.'

Better?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I used the wrong wording and you called me out on it.

I should have said 'People feel that when iOS is a system FOR non-tech savvy people, that it is a bad thing, or that it means that it is for people that don't know tech. That's not true.'

Better?

Yes. Wording and punctuation can make all the difference in the world.

It's the difference between "I'd rather get a root canal than see my mom naked" and "I'd rather get a root canal then see my mom naked"

or, "I had to help my Uncle Jack, off his horse" and "I had to help my Uncle Jack off his horse"

:biggrin:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73