iOS devices are not for tech savvy...?

BenRoethig

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
The concept of "tech savvy" is basically one to make one platform feel special by putting down another because they're not mature enough yet for the idea of multiple use cases. All of them have strengths, all of them have weaknesses, and some of the strength can be weaknesses for a different user.

FlashFlare11

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Saying that iOS devices are "simple and easy to use" doesn't mean that the OS isn't powerful. What it means is that Apple has been able to take a very powerful piece of technology and make it dead-easy to use and available to an insane amount of people. The iPhone is the smartphone that brought the smartphone into mainstream usage. Yes, though, I'd have to agree that the less tech-savvy people are more likely to pick up an iPhone or iPad, but it's not meant as an insult to Apple or its products.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry 10 would be for a more tech savvy group of people.

There are a LOT of things to increase productivity (especially on 10.2). There are lots of options to do great things that make my BlackBerry 10 device far more product and intricate than my iOS 7 device.

That said, I must praise iOS for making it easy for even the least tech savvy population understand it, which would NOT have been an easy task to undertake.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The concept of "tech savvy" is basically one to make one platform feel special by putting down another because they're not mature enough yet for the idea of multiple use cases. All of them have strengths, all of them have weaknesses, and some of the strength can be weaknesses for a different user.

Pretty much this. It's basically a back handed insult in that saying "x" phone is for the non-tech savvy is a nice way of saying that it's a dumbed-down phone for dumb people, whereas "y" phone is a tech-savvy phone for smart people. Smart people use "y" phone, whereas dumb people use "x" phone. Therefore, my "y" phone is superior because it's designed for smart people.

Let's just cut to the chase, that's what people who make the "not for tech savvy" arguments REALLY mean. Apparently, following step by step instructions on XDA forums made by other people who really ARE tech savvy, or having a bunch of toggles available that you HAVE to use to get decent battery life out of your phone is what makes someone 'tech savvy', whereas choosing to purchase a product that works correctly out of the box not requiring a person to have to deal with that crap to begin with (or spend hours reading XDA forums to figure out why their phone is screwing up) makes them a non tech savvy dumb simpleton, right? (/sarcasm)

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
BlackBerry 10 would be for a more tech savvy group of people.

There are a LOT of things to increase productivity (especially on 10.2). There are lots of options to do great things that make my BlackBerry 10 device far more product and intricate than my iOS 7 device.

That said, I must praise iOS for making it easy for even the least tech savvy population understand it, which would NOT have been an easy task to undertake.

I'm curious how productivity optimizations equate to tech savviness. Care to explain? From what I can deduce from your post, you're saying the Blackberry has more to offer than the iPhone to a tech savvy consumer, but you listed productivity options and nothing else. What exactly makes BB10 a more attractive OS for the tech savvy?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not about the full capability of the OS, but the learning curve to use it. iOS has a very simple learning curve. That means that people who aren't tech savvy can pick up ways to use it a lot easier. That level of intuitiveness means that someone who has never held an iPhone or iPad before can start using it rather quickly.

The tech savvy part comes after that, with apps that let you do almost anything while using the device. Editing photos, mixing music, editing videos, patching into external devices. All of these expand upon the base platform. From what I have seen, this can be almost limitless. The intuitive OS is the easy part - taking it to the next level is the tech savvy part.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not about the full capability of the OS, but the learning curve to use it. iOS has a very simple learning curve. That means that people who aren't tech savvy can pick up ways to use it a lot easier. That level of intuitiveness means that someone who has never held an iPhone or iPad before can start using it rather quickly.

The tech savvy part comes after that, with apps that let you do almost anything while using the device. Editing photos, mixing music, editing videos, patching into external devices. All of these expand upon the base platform. From what I have seen, this can be almost limitless. The intuitive OS is the easy part - taking it to the next level is the tech savvy part.

I honestly think this is the best answer in this entire thread. And I fully agree with you 110%. Damn fine first post on iMore bud!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Yup. I've always maintained the opinion that Apple makes their OS easy enough for my mom or sister to learn how to use quickly.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious how productivity optimizations equate to tech savviness. Care to explain? From what I can deduce from your post, you're saying the Blackberry has more to offer than the iPhone to a tech savvy consumer, but you listed productivity options and nothing else. What exactly makes BB10 a more attractive OS for the tech savvy?

BlackBerry 10 (and even BlackBerry 7) has a much steeper learning curve. Unless you use the tutorials, you'll have a tricky time. Especially trying to work out all the cool quirks the Hub provides. (Priority Hub, colour labelling, etc).

BlackBerry 10 also provides side loading. I can side load any application from Android that I want straight onto my BlackBerry. Hypothetically, BlackBerry provides all BlackBerry 10 apps, and Android apps, BUT only if you see tech savvy enough to side load. This is more apps u than iOS and Windows Phone put together, but only available for tech savvy people.

BlackBerry 10 has when ability to play the application in a virtual sandbox, and thus avoiding an viruses and such as much as possible.

The Q10 also provides shortcuts, and learning all of them off by heart is no simple task. Saying this, once learned, you can fly through the OS even faster. A unique feature only BlackBerry can provide. Will non-tech savvy people figure them out? *giggle*

BlackBerry 10 and Android (sometimes) also provide DLNA and Miracast. Non-tech savvy people, like my mother and father just go 'lolwut' when they hear that, and my mother still has issues connecting to Miracast when my mates and I find it not too hard. Then again, we all delve into tech, whereas she doesn't, and asked to be taught over and over again how to use the benefits of BlackBerry 10. Now I have to teach her 10.2!! Shell even state 'I'm not tech savvy enough to learn it on my lonesome.'

I don't know if this asserts your question, but I gave it a shot.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Agreed with the last few posts.

Saying "Because the iPhone is easy to use = it is not for the tech savvy" is akin to the argument "Because the Nissan GTR is easy to drive fast = it is for people with poor driving skill"

Being easy to use, simply means more people will be able to experience it closer to its full potential. Those more inclined in the field will push it farther towards its true limits... But even the amateur/casual user can use and enjoy it thoroughly.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Agreed with the last few posts.

Saying "Because the iPhone is easy to use = it is not for the tech savvy" is akin to the argument "Because the Nissan GTR is easy to drive fast = it is for people with poor driving skill"

Being easy to use, simply means more people will be able to experience it closer to its full potential. Those more inclined in the field will push it farther towards its true limits... But even the amateur/casual user can use and enjoy it thoroughly.

That being said, is ease of use sacrificing the amount of features and non-proprietary connectivity?

iPhone already cannot use NFC; USBOTG/Host; DLNA; Miracast. Perhaps using these go against the design language that Apple uses, which is ease of use.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iPhone already cannot use NFC; USBOTG/Host; DLNA; Miracast. Perhaps using these go against the design language that Apple uses, which is ease of use.

Gee, the iPhone is so behind the times isn't it?

I have yet to find where I could use NFC even if the iPhone had it... USB/otg? one can use any number of accessories to do many of the same things... DLNA? Got that covered by AirPlay & shared iTunes library...

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
That being said, is ease of use sacrificing the amount of features and non-proprietary connectivity?

I don't consider the exclusion of non-proprietary connectivity a "sacrifice" when there are proprietary and 3rd party alternative solutions, as mentioned above.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Gee, the iPhone is so behind the times isn't it?

I have yet to find where I could use NFC even if the iPhone had it... USB/otg? one can use any number of accessories to do many of the same things... DLNA? Got that covered by AirPlay & shared iTunes library...

Good for you, seriously.

However, I use NFC daily. In fact, many times a day. I have about 20 NFC Tags at home, alone. It's easier than AirDrop, by a long margin, on BlackBerry 10 that is. I can't say for Android, as I have never used NFC on Android.

If the people in your life have BlackBerry 10, then NFC is one of the more used features. Luckily for me, a lot of people (a lot of iPhone users like their iOS too much to switch) around me have made the switch to BlackBerry 10, and everything is starting to streamline.

Please don't take it that I was saying that the iPhone is behind, when it is a fact that it does not have NFC, a technology used by BlackBerry for years. That's all I was saying.

DLNA is hard to set up, which is why I use Miracast. Whether this is better or worse than AirPlay, I'd have to research and experience.

USB OTG is so very useful that I think iPhone users don't give enough credit for it. The accessories that iPhone can get (after you purchase them, as they are not out of the box like other USB OTG compatible devices) do not make it the same as a BlackBerry 10 device operating USB OTG. Have a look at some videos, and the benefits will become apparent. It's something that myself and my peers use an increasing amount. I know I use it to transfer files for work and between people. If I need to do something quickly, I can give them videos and even full length movies by just moving it to the USB Flash.

Does this mean the iPhone as a whole is behind? No... where is my NATIVE Instagram and SnapChat? Where is BlackBerry's take on PassBook?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I think you said it best. Just because iOS is friendly to the non-tech savvy doesn't mean it isn't friendly to the tech savvy.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
BlackBerry 10 (and even BlackBerry 7) has a much steeper learning curve. Unless you use the tutorials, you'll have a tricky time. Especially trying to work out all the cool quirks the Hub provides. (Priority Hub, colour labelling, etc).

This is purely assumed and has no factual basis. You assume people will have a tricky time because they won't understand it easily...but what if the features hold little or no value to them? Rendering it essentially pointless instead of too difficult to understand.

BlackBerry 10 also provides side loading. I can side load any application from Android that I want straight onto my BlackBerry. Hypothetically, BlackBerry provides all BlackBerry 10 apps, and Android apps, BUT only if you see tech savvy enough to side load. This is more apps u than iOS and Windows Phone put together, but only available for tech savvy people.

This has no relevance to tech savviness man. You are implying that an extra step in having apps some how makes a person more tech savvy...that is asinine. iPhone users have apps directly available to them...it's less work, not less understanding.

BlackBerry 10 has when ability to play the application in a virtual sandbox, and thus avoiding an viruses and such as much as possible.

Apple designed a product and OS to minimize this for the consumer...so again, it's a matter of having the same function with less work...not less understanding.

The Q10 also provides shortcuts, and learning all of them off by heart is no simple task. Saying this, once learned, you can fly through the OS even faster. A unique feature only BlackBerry can provide. Will non-tech savvy people figure them out? *giggle*

Only the Blackberry can provide? What kinds of shortcuts are you talking about that only the Blackberry can provide? There are plenty of ways to setup short cuts, gesture controls and reassignments on the iPhone within the settings...

BlackBerry 10 and Android (sometimes) also provide DLNA and Miracast. Non-tech savvy people, like my mother and father just go 'lolwut' when they hear that, and my mother still has issues connecting to Miracast when my mates and I find it not too hard. Then again, we all delve into tech, whereas she doesn't, and asked to be taught over and over again how to use the benefits of BlackBerry 10. Now I have to teach her 10.2!! Shell even state 'I'm not tech savvy enough to learn it on my lonesome.'

I don't know if this asserts your question, but I gave it a shot.

Again (for like the 5th time), I'm not seeing the relevance to the discussion here. So your mom has an issue with BB10 and the learning curve, how is that relevant to anyone else and their abilities?

iPhone doesn't have NFC tech, so saying it "cannot" use it is obvious...it's not included because it's still a niche technology (and a world from the polished status Apple strives for on their devices, which is honestly the ONLY reasons why it's not included).

Apple has several proprietary approaches to DLNA, most of which have already been perfected amongst Apple's spectrum of devices (ecosystem as people call it). Apple, as a business, would be doing itself a disservice offering DLNA when their own system of media sharing works best amongst it's own products, and instills an idea in the consumers to buy more Apple devices (which makes more business sense).

Miracast is the same deal. iMessage and FaceTime combined with Airplay are within the Apple ecosystem...this is Apple's focus, because they know the devices using these features are using them in the quality Apple expects of their own devices.

...my question is what is the problem with proprietary connectivity if the company offers everything a consumer needs to fully experience said features within that polished ecosystem? You're trying to argue that Apple has a "fault" of some sort by doing this, but they are a business, and because consumers are buying this stuff and making use of it, obviously they are doing SOMETHING right.

Xx BEN xX

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
They are cellphones.. The real term Tech Savvy shouldn't apply to smart phones. The iPhone, Galaxy, And blackberry are not that complicated to operate. The platform on each device is very easy to figure out if you have half a brain. Tech Savvy are people who hack criminal websites and shut them down without a trace, or design websites using pure HTML code. That's tech savvy. Sorry but a phone doesn't cut it, they are all pretty basic

Sent from my iPhone 5s

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro