I've used NFC at the liquor store. Should have seen the look on the cashier's face when I whipped out my phone instead of credit card...
    O'rly, what app did you use?
    10-29-2013 02:23 AM
    Hmm, I'd like to think I know my way around a CLI (and knowing how to write code in BASIC counts as "tech-savvy" still, right?) and I'm fully comfortable busting out the iPod in front of my other tech-geek friends. I, for one, enjoy the stability that comes from iOS's slim lineup of hardware variants and lack of OS fragmentation brings. Just because you can root (and if you know what that means, you are definitely more tech-savvy than the average person, even if you're just "reading instructions") doesn't mean that you should. I figured that out from spending so much time modding my chromebook's software, only to realize that an unlocked bootloader and Linux distro added needless crap to my boot time for stuff I almost never used.

Locked is not necessarily bad if it delivers a quality end-user experience
    jsarino and Brutal Efficiency like this.
    10-29-2013 06:33 AM
    Hmm, I'd like to think I know my way around a CLI (and knowing how to write code in BASIC counts as "tech-savvy" still, right?) and I'm fully comfortable busting out the iPod in front of my other tech-geek friends. I, for one, enjoy the stability that comes from iOS's slim lineup of hardware variants and lack of OS fragmentation brings. Just because you can root (and if you know what that means, you are definitely more tech-savvy than the average person, even if you're just "reading instructions") doesn't mean that you should. I figured that out from spending so much time modding my chromebook's software, only to realize that an unlocked bootloader and Linux distro added needless crap to my boot time for stuff I almost never used.

Locked is not necessarily bad if it delivers a quality end-user experience
    I agree. There is nothing wrong with a system like that. People feel that when iOS is called a non-tech savvy system that it is a bad thing, or that it means they don't know tech. That's not true.
    10-29-2013 08:04 AM
    I agree. There is nothing wrong with a system like that. People feel that when iOS is called a non-tech savvy system that it is a bad thing, or that it means they don't know tech. That's not true.
    The thing is, no "system" is tech savvy...the device/system can't be tech savvy, it IS tech. Only a person can be tech savvy, and that was always the argument, because the iPhone is just as much for a tech savvy person as it is a person who is not.
    10-29-2013 12:29 PM
    The thing is, no "system" is tech savvy...the device/system can't be tech savvy, it IS tech. Only a person can be tech savvy, and that was always the argument, because the iPhone is just as much for a tech savvy person as it is a person who is not.
    Definitely agree on this one. I wish I could add more to this discussion (especially being one of the resident "outsiders" in iMore ), but all I can say though is perceptions on an OS can change organically and positively, but it'll take time. This may be more for a separate discussion, but what always bothered me about tech manufacturers is when they have advertise that they claim they are the "first" or the "best" at something, when it is often false and fuels the wrong perception.
    10-29-2013 12:51 PM
    What it means is that Apple has been able to take a very powerful piece of technology and make it dead-easy to use and available to an insane amount of people.
    To a certain degree I agree with you. iOS is very simple and tailored for people who don't want to be confused.
    What it all boils down to is what works best for you. Do you think you are "tech savvy"? Great! Does that mean you shouldn't get an iOS device? Nope!
    Coming from a primary BlackBerry background (but having used the iPhone4 and 4s), I agree with everyone above. What Apple has achieved is the simplification of technology so that it's acceptance is wide-spread. This should not be equated with dumbing it down, coz I know some dumb people and they can't use either an iPhone, a BB or an android

You have to take into account the major factor people considered when iPhones were released. It was and is a very good touch-phone and is very intuitive. My nieces both use iPhones, not because of Instagram (they don't use those features) or iMessage. They use iPhones because it helps them get through the day, performing tasks that they need to perform.

Being a BB user for a long time, I tried to sell them on the features of the BB devices (both touch and qwerty), but I could not get them to switch. Their question is "Why fix it if it ain't broken?"

Both my nephews are BB users and they swear by their devices.
    In my family alone, we have 2 iPhones, 3 Android Devices and 7 BBs (both legacy and BB10).

We all have issues using our devices sometimes, and we all make fun of each other when someone's OS makes a boo-boo

But at no point of time, have we ever though that my nieces use the iPhones because they're not tech savvy....
    10-29-2013 11:52 PM
    Okay, I used the wrong wording and you called me out on it.

I should have said 'People feel that when iOS is a system FOR non-tech savvy people, that it is a bad thing, or that it means that it is for people that don't know tech. That's not true.'

Better?
    10-31-2013 08:23 PM
    Okay, I used the wrong wording and you called me out on it.

I should have said 'People feel that when iOS is a system FOR non-tech savvy people, that it is a bad thing, or that it means that it is for people that don't know tech. That's not true.'

Better?
    Yes. Wording and punctuation can make all the difference in the world.

It's the difference between "I'd rather get a root canal than see my mom naked" and "I'd rather get a root canal then see my mom naked"

or, "I had to help my Uncle Jack, off his horse" and "I had to help my Uncle Jack off his horse"

LazyStarGazer likes this.
    10-31-2013 08:36 PM
    Yes. Wording and punctuation can make all the difference in the world.

It's the difference between "I'd rather get a root canal than see my mom naked" and "I'd rather get a root canal then see my mom naked"

or, "I had to help my Uncle Jack, off his horse" and "I had to help my Uncle Jack off his horse"

I do feel like Sean knew what I meant though.
    10-31-2013 08:38 PM
    I do feel like Sean knew what I meant though.
    Given your previous comments I really didn't, but I understand what you meant now (even if I still don't agree with you).
    10-31-2013 08:59 PM
    Is it just me or does it seem like Brutal Efficiency responds or creates topics that like to attack iOS users and then reiterates the love for BB products on a forum mainly for iOS?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    11-01-2013 12:00 AM
    Is it just me or does it seem like Brutal Efficiency responds or creates topics that like to attack iOS users and then reiterates the love for BB products on a forum mainly for iOS?

More or less. Though the attacking is really just mild arguing, but the principal seems to be the same. A differing opinion is one thing, but belittling is the same regardless of how much it's sugar coated.
    11-01-2013 11:27 AM
    More or less. Though the attacking is really just mild arguing, but the principal seems to be the same. A differing opinion is one thing, but belittling is the same regardless of how much it's sugar coated.
    I don't belittle more than you.
    11-02-2013 08:00 AM
    Guys can you show me how to display sent from iphone on facebook?thanks
    11-02-2013 03:02 PM
    I don't think you can.
    TiredOfPhoneWar likes this.
    11-03-2013 04:41 AM
    I don't belittle more than you.
    There he is! I knew it would just take some prodding to get you to fess up your real agenda.

FYI, I've never once belittled a device in a general fashion here...feel free to try and find an example, you never will. I've never once made a remark directly about another device without including that it was purely my opinion...you, on the other hand, can't say the same, especially since most of your participation on this forum has been reflective of this thread.
    11-03-2013 11:36 AM
    It's strange, sometimes when I post it says sent from iOS, other times iPhone, other times blank. Sorry I can't help.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on Verizon from Philly.
    TiredOfPhoneWar likes this.
    11-03-2013 12:06 PM

He is discussing apple products in an apple forum. You don't need to agree with his opinions in order to have a conversation. If you don't want to engage in comparative type conversations don't respond to him. In this particular thread he has had plenty of nice things to say about apple but for some reason he still gets nitpicked because he is a BlackBerry user.

iMore is part of Mobile Nations, it isn't in a closed universe, and it is better for it.
    Last edited by bizzyqu; 11-03-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    ghundiraj, sconrad308 and jsarino like this.
    11-03-2013 09:24 PM
    He is discussing apple products in an apple forum. You don't need to agree with his opinions in order to have a conversation. If you don't want to engage in comparative type conversations don't respond to him. In this particular thread he has had plenty of nice things to say about apple but for some reason he still gets nitpicked because he is a BlackBerry user.

iMore is part of Mobile Nations, it isn't in a closed universe, and it is better for it.
    I think it was a little more implicative than opinion...but either way, who cares. I know i certainly didn't care whether he was a BB user or not, I just like to debate, lol.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 11-03-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    11-03-2013 10:05 PM
    There's a difference between simple discussion and generic labeling. There's an implicative tone to his posts...not just an opinion, but a blanket statement.

Also, he's not getting nitpicked because he's a blackberry user...please take that kind of crap somewhere else. You come in here lecturing someone about forum etiquette, yet your comments are not reflective of the conversation that has been going on, and the content of such. Did you just decide to try and be a forum super hero after 4 pages of responses?
    And did you just decide to become the forum villain? I agree that it is a thread about iOS being for tech-savvy or not for tech-savvy users.

Brutal came in and presented some points: Given that he is a BB user, it was obvious that he would try and equate his experience.
    Since I am primarily a BB user (although I have 6 iOS devices in my house that I use off and on) I would perhaps end up giving the same examples that I have used over the years.

Since you come from (what you say) is a primarily iOS usage (with barely any BB10 usage) your experience is different (and suits this conversation best, since it's an iOS thread about iOS tech-savviness).
    What use is a forum thread is contributions from various users cannot be accepted? I don't say that you have to agree with whatever Brutal or bizzyqu say(as you clearly don't and that is your right), but everyone is entitled to their opinions on these forums and all others. With such a high thread post count, I guess you have been here for quite a while and I can understand the feeling when you see someone having what you call, *a hidden agenda*. Counter the argument with facts and if you feel a person is a troll, report them. Isn't that easier than trying to pull someone into a major argument and prolonging the screen-time for said individual?

I have posted earlier in this thread quoting many others, while agreeing and disagreeing with all or some of you (just so that you don't feel the need to call me a 4th-page hero too )

I don't believe this kind of behaviour fosters cross-forum goodwill. We come here because of the discussions, not because of the arguments.
    It would bode well for the Mobile Nations site as a whole to have good and healthy camaraderie amongst the sister sites (however far removed the relation may be)

LP&HG
    bizzyqu and jsarino like this.
    11-03-2013 10:35 PM
    And did you just decide to become the forum villain? I agree that it is a thread about iOS being for tech-savvy or not for tech-savvy users.

Brutal came in and presented some points: Given that he is a BB user, it was obvious that he would try and equate his experience.
    Since I am primarily a BB user (although I have 6 iOS devices in my house that I use off and on) I would perhaps end up giving the same examples that I have used over the years.

Since you come from (what you say) is a primarily iOS usage (with barely any BB10 usage) your experience is different (and suits this conversation best, since it's an iOS thread about iOS tech-savviness).
    What use is a forum thread is contributions from various users cannot be accepted? I don't say that you have to agree with whatever Brutal or bizzyqu say(as you clearly don't and that is your right), but everyone is entitled to their opinions on these forums and all others. With such a high thread post count, I guess you have been here for quite a while and I can understand the feeling when you see someone having what you call, *a hidden agenda*. Counter the argument with facts and if you feel a person is a troll, report them. Isn't that easier than trying to pull someone into a major argument and prolonging the screen-time for said individual?

I have posted earlier in this thread quoting many others, while agreeing and disagreeing with all or some of you (just so that you don't feel the need to call me a 4th-page hero too )

I don't believe this kind of behaviour fosters cross-forum goodwill. We come here because of the discussions, not because of the arguments.
    It would bode well for the Mobile Nations site as a whole to have good and healthy camaraderie amongst the sister sites (however far removed the relation may be)

LP&HG
    I redacted my statement earlier because it was a bit quick lipped and harsh.

I don't consider myself a villain, no. But as one of the more outspoken and common posters in this community, I damn well will step up when someone takes a pot shot. Just the way it is.

But I will say that this thread was very derogatory towards the iPhone in the light of implying it was almost a "dumbed down" smart phone. I don't mind if people think that as an opinion, but when you try to push that as a fact (which is what the feel was on several of the threads here), it becomes a problem.
    ghundiraj and jsarino like this.
    11-03-2013 10:40 PM
    But as one of the more outspoken and common posters in this community, I damn well will step up when someone takes a pot shot. Just the way it is.
    It's nice to be outspoken (maybe not everywhere, but mostly I am too Like I said in my earlier post, I can see where you're coming from. As someone who is not a bug poster either on CB or iMore, I tend to lurk and only come out when I have something really constructive to add (via a fact or a feature or an experience).

With such a high thread post count, I guess you have been here for quite a while and I can understand the feeling when you see someone having what you call, *a hidden agenda*. Counter the argument with facts and if you feel a person is a troll, report them. Isn't that easier than trying to pull someone into a major argument and prolonging the screen-time for said individual?

LP&HG
    Leaving the so-called phone wars aside, I am sure it may take a bigger effort for all of us to operate within the MNiverse (Mobile Nations), and correlate it to the multiverse theory.

In another universe, SEANHRCC is actually an Android user, while Brutal is a die-hard iOS fan, while bizzyqu is still living his WebOS dream, ghundiraj on the other hand is not tech-savvy enough and is using an old Nokia 3390b .

Like I said before, if the person is citing facts, counter them with your own.
    If the person is out to create trouble, that's what the mods and ambassadors are here for.

LP&HG
    11-03-2013 10:54 PM
    It's nice to be outspoken (maybe not everywhere, but mostly I am too Like I said in my earlier post, I can see where you're coming from. As someone who is not a bug poster either on CB or iMore, I tend to lurk and only come out when I have something really constructive to add (via a fact or a feature or an experience).

Leaving the so-called phone wars aside, I am sure it may take a bigger effort for all of us to operate within the MNiverse (Mobile Nations), and correlate it to the multiverse theory.

In another universe, SEANHRCC is actually an Android user, while Brutal is a die-hard iOS fan, while bizzyqu is still living his WebOS dream, ghundiraj on the other hand is not tech-savvy enough and is using an old Nokia 3390b .

Like I said before, if the person is citing facts, counter them with your own.
    If the person is out to create trouble, that's what the mods and ambassadors are here for.

LP&HG
    I understand this, but it doesn't hurt to remind people of that nature that the members are just as loyal to the community as well. I really like this place, the people here, and the devices it reflects...we may differ on this, but regardless of the ambassadors and mods, the community needs to stand up as well in these cases. I've shown my facts countless times, if you go back and read the thread, you'll see I'm not just talking out of my a$$ for the sake of arguing, nor was I debating it groundlessly. It's just my nature to be brash I suppose, but I don't apologize for it really because it is what it is.

The real problem I had in this 4 page thread was a person citing opinion AS fact. That was all.
    Les74 likes this.
    11-03-2013 11:00 PM
    I've shown my facts countless times, if you go back and read the thread, you'll see I'm not just talking out of my a$$ for the sake of arguing, nor was I debating it groundlessly. It's just my nature to be brash I suppose, but I don't apologize for it really because it is what it is.

The real problem I had in this 4 page thread was a person citing opinion AS fact. That was all.
    Never would I ever want anyone speaking out of their @$$ (just kidding). And I also get the fact that you would want to right people who are out and out getting into a pissing contest.
    If you've quoted facts, nothing should stop you from reiterating them (rather than being argumentative ).
    I believe a little nice goes a really long way. We've had many users (CB-based and otherwise) come into the forums on CB and say many a thing. I agree with the users who deal with them the way you do, but it's not the best way (in my opinion).

Let's just get clear with my background (so that there is no doubt later on). I am a hardcore BlackBerry enthusiast. I really like what BlackBerry helps me achieve day in and day out. I have also owned 2 iPhones in the past. I currently own multiple iPods, an iPad, a MacBookPro and an early-2009 27-inch iMac. As a person, I own more Apple devices than BB ones. As a household, we have more BBs than any other OS (multiple androids and iPhones and iPads), but for each person their device is the best for them.

I have been on MN for some years now, primarily for BB. I have also been on iMore quite some time ago for help with my iMac (never had any issues with my MBP or iPads, so never bothered).
    I primarily came back to iMore because BBM was released for iOS and Android.

I have noticed quite a lot of familiar names on the forums and am glad that the overall reception has been awesome.
    As newbie or noobs or kids on this forum, we look to the elders (age not a criteria) to help us in contributions to this forum and also to MN as a whole.
    Guidance is as much a big help as is admonishing, but you have to remember that this is a new place for us and we are trying to find our footing.

Like grapes on a bunch, we are all different, and maybe that is the approach that should be taken to deal with us.
    Don't group all of us as a bunch. Sure, we are all BB users and probably will be for years to come.
    Sure, we are all passionate about our devices (as you are as well).
    But if you see our posts on CB, you will see that most of us have to deal with people with *hidden agenda* as well.
    We are not harsh with either the kids or the elders (it's a struggle but we do it )

I don't have the number of posts you do (even combined), and post count is surely a powerful backing when you are presenting facts.

But with great power comes great responsibility (Sorry, just had to use it).
    Use it wisely, and everyone will take even the slightest fact from you as the truth!!!

LP&HG
    11-03-2013 11:44 PM
    Guidance is as much a big help as is admonishing, but you have to remember that this is a new place for us and we are trying to find our footing.
    Not to take away from the rest of your post, I do appreciate what you said and respect your approach, but I wanted to zero in on something you said...about finding footing. Here, in this thread (since this is the subject matter that sparked your retort)...the person trying to find footing was doing it more by kicking sand than planting feet, and that is certainly no way to enter a community, especially when you're a person of alternate loyalty trying to mesh.
    11-04-2013 07:11 AM
105 ... 2345